Health Insurance

wayne07836

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

I also have the Happy 45 policy and know 100% that it does cover motorcycle accidents, period.  I was in...(an) accident and claimed against the Happy 45 policy in a hospital without a problem.

Okay, '100%': If the policy to which you refer truly covers medical/hospital for riding/driving motorcycles then post the documents that have language which proves what you say.  Post the entire document--the entire Policy you are referring to--including the Exclusions section, along with the receipts you claim the company paid for the motorcycle accident you claim to have had.

I'll wait.

Edited by KrishnaCameb4Buddha

10 hours ago, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

Okay, '100%': If the policy to which you refer truly covers medical/hospital for riding/driving motorcycles then post the documents that have language which proves what you say.  Post the entire document--the entire Policy you are referring to--including the Exclusions section, along with the receipts you claim the company paid for the motorcycle accident you claim to have had.

I'll wait.

I think that it's entirely feasible that a specified (and written/legally binding) addition to the Happy 45+ policy is possible...and this would override the de facto exclusions that exist there.  But, quite honestly, I think you've now flogged this horse to death...maybe just agree to disagree with the various posters whose personal experience/opinion conflicts with your own and move on?

Edited by mgthom63

8 hours ago, mgthom63 said:

I think that it's entirely feasible that a specified (and written/legally binding) addition to the Happy 45+ policy is possible...and this would override the de facto exclusions that exist there.  

It is feasible, as mgthom63 says,  "that a specified (and written/legally binding) addition to the Happy 45+ policy is possible".

Sure, hypothetically that is true.

The only problem is what was actually subsequently written/given/presented to me as a so-called addition was not, in fact, 'specified'.   There was only smoke and mirrors.  None of their subsequent wording altered, overrode or amended the wording in their policy, which wording is very clear:  "riding/driving motorcycles is Not covered".  They kept telling me, through email after email, that what they were sending me really, truly demonstrated I would be covered.  But none of the actual documents sent me actually did what they claimed it would do.  

It is pure nonsense for a company to sell you a policy that specifically excludes coverage for driving/riding a motorcycle yet falsely represents by obtuse implication and muddy wording that policy as somehow actually covering Medical/Hospital (or any other coverage) for accidents involving driving/riding a motorcycle.

The rule "if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is" applies here.  Giving 200,000 baht of Hospital/Medical paid for a motorcycle accident for a mere cost of approx 7,000 baht per year with no deductible makes no sense for insurance companies in Thailand where there is a high rate of motorcycle accidents.  They would go broke if they did this.

Imglobal--a Western insurance company--provides travel insurance that does cover (non-racing) riding/driving motorcycle.  But it costs, for example, $1,000 per year with a $2,500 deductible for coverage of $100,000. (differing coverage amounts are available with differing deductibles/costs).  The Imglobal coverage page is clear and so is the Policy (which has many reasonable exclusions) and the wording of the coverage page does not conflict with the Policy document.  And, of course, being a Western company it--and its brokers--are subject to higher legal standards and legal sanctions if they misrepresent. 

But even if you have a more expensive policy from the West or wherever, if you don't have a valid driving license for the country you are in then you won't be covered.

Edited by KrishnaCameb4Buddha

20 minutes ago, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

<snip>

Sure, hypothetically that is true.<snip>

Not just hypothetically. This is common practice: there are general policy conditions with inclusions and exclusions, and the exceptions to these general policy conditions will be mentioned on the policy schedule.

• Like 2

You've got it backwards.  The Policy 'Schedule' is not the Policy.  The Policy--not the policy Schedule-- is what determines what they are covering.  The schedule merely tells you amounts covered UNDER THE POLICY.  So you have to read the Policy to see exactly what is, and is not, covered. 

You say "the exceptions to these general policy conditions will be mentioned on the policy schedule."  No, they are not.  First of all, there are no 'general policy conditions'.  The policy is about specifics, not generalities.  Second, any exceptions ('exclusions') are mentioned in the Exclusions section of the Policy--not in the Schedule.

If the Policy says 'driving/riding motorcycles is not covered', then it is not covered. 

Besides, the Policy Schedule for Happy45+ says Nothing about Medical/Hospital for driving/riding motorcycles.  It just says 'medical per Accident' The 'accidents' they are talking about re: medical/hospital are accidents EXCLUDING motorcycle accidents.  How do we know this?  Because the Policy---the actual legally binding document--says "driving/riding motorcycles is NOT covered".

So even coverage for,--not Medical--but for loss of life, sight, disability etc that are mentioned on the Schedule under riding/driving a motorcycle is highly doubtful because the actual Policy says 'loss or injury from riding/driving motorcycle is not covered'.

Any insurance company which sends out a Policy which says one thing, but the schedule says the opposite, is not to be trusted.

• 1 month later...

I am also shopping around for health insurance. Has anyone heard of or holds a policy with Thailand Ultracare "underwritten and administered in Thailand by Safety Insurance Public Company Ltd. (Company Registration. Number 0107536000854). The company is authorised and regulated by the Thailand Office of Insurance Commission, Ministry of Finance." I was requesting a quote from Aetna (now in lieu of BUPA) in London the broker there transferred me to broker here in TL.  But my Artna quotation became a quotation from Thailand Utracare. If anyone has a policy and used the service I would be interested to hear what they are like.