Non-O Multi Entry now requires proof of multiple inbound flights?

I searched here, but could find no reference to this. I usually apply to the Dublin consulate for my non-O (based on Thai child) each year. I travel back there many times each year, so it's always suited me to renew in Ireland. This year they have a new requirement:

"Multiple Ticket Bookings (when applying for Multiple entry visa) (Proof of multiple ticket bookings is required for the entries that are planned to be made into Thailand, If proof of only one entry can be provided only the Single entry Type O visa will be available )"

I have never booked ahead like this as I base myself in Thailand, and travel in and out when it suits (always fulfilling 90-day rules). Does anyone know if this new rule is applied everywhere, and if not where is the friendliest local consulate/embassy that will provide a multi-entry non-O without multiple tickets?

Edited by RedCardinal
typo in title

Now confirmed by consulate, and unsure if it's only Ireland, but they say that they will only provide single entry non-O if you only show one flight booking. 

As a 43 year old (unable to get retirement visa), unmarried father of a legitimuzed Thai child (unable to get marriage visa) this makes life very difficult for me at least.

The problem is that the honorary consulates can no longer issue multiple entry non-o visas. At one time they could be issued if approved by London. Not sure how the rules are being applied to the honorary consulate in Dublin. I think they may trying to discourage your from  applying for the visa.

Your best option would be to apply by post to the embassy in London. They would not require the tickets out of the country.

You can get one at the consulate in Penang Malaysia if you can show the equivalent of 400k baht in a bank or proof of income.

My understanding is that they can still issue multi entry non-O, once approved by London. Applying to London might be an option, but that would mean sending g my passport to another country for what could be a prolonged period. Previously my passport would come back from Dublin consulate within 3-5 days.

A trip to Penang might be in order. Do you know if they require the child to attend, or will documents suffice? Any idea how long they take to process?

Thanks for help!

14 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

A trip to Penang might be in order. Do you know if they require the child to attend, or will documents suffice? Any idea how long they take to process?

Your child would not need to be with you. You apply the morning of one day and pickup your passport the next afternoon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

I called Penang Consulate and was told they would only give me a single-entry Non-O.  Any more ideas @ubonjoe?

Perhaps they have changed their rules. There have been a few reports of thim issuing a single entry first and then a multiple entry after that.

I suggest you contact Jim (well known agent) to find out what he says. http://jimsplacepenang.tripod.com/

• Like 1

@ubonjoe you've been exceptionally helpful, and I want to again thank you for everything.

I've reached out to Jim, and waiting to hear back from him.

I have one other possible problem - I no longer live with my son or his mother.  We live in different regions, and I go to visit him every 2 weeks.  His mother will not allow him to visit me, but I fully support them financially.  I pay for all their bills including his school fees.  He was previously legitimized via Family Court.

What implications does this have for my visa status?  Can I still apply for Non-O given that I no longer live with my son?

Again many thanks for all your insightful help.

26 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

He was previously legitimized via Family Court.

What implications does this have for my visa status?  Can I still apply for Non-O given that I no longer live with my son?

The legitimization may help you get the multiple entry visa.

There is no requirement for you to be living with your son to get a non-o visa. 

• Like 2