Building Contractors

bangkokpoppys

Not sure if this belongs here...apologies if it should go somewhere else.

I'm looking at renting a site (land with existing buildings) that needs quite a bit of renovation for a cafe. I am an experienced renovator and manager of contractors - however I have no experience in arranging works here in Thailand. I have heard lots of stories good and bad and am getting ready for a huge challenge. I have a couple of questions:

1. Does it take long to get permits to build new structures? I need to fast track the whole project to get the doors open, but am trying to understand what a realistic schedule should be.

2. Anyone have some great stories or contractors to recommend with English comms?

3. Ok - I know this is TV so please try and keep comments construction :-) - what are you thinking when you read this post....?

4. Contracting basis - should it always be lump sum? If so, any thoughts on payment stages appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

21 hours ago, bangkokpoppys said:

however I have no experience in arranging works here in Thailand.

I can put some input but my wife has dealt with this kind construction.

Do you speak Thai or have a translator. ?

Sounds like you may need a work permit.

1. Does it take long to get permits to build new structures?

Not that l noticed once drawing are presented at the local gov office and approved.

2. Anyone have some great stories or contractors to recommend with English comms?

There's too many to mention :laugh:  main thing needed is close supervision.   

3. Ok - I know this is TV so please try and keep comments construction :-) - what are you thinking when you read this post....?

Another enthusiastic adventurer in Thailand doing the possible but will learn a lot on the way. :goof:

4. Contracting basis - should it always be lump sum? If so, any thoughts on payment stages appreciated.

Usually a bit of dosh up front in the first few days depending on builders situation and materials are best sourced and bought by yourself, deliveries are easily provided.

Goodluck you'll need it.  :smile: 

Edited by Kwasaki

A couple of points.

If lump sum ensure the builder understands what he is and is not pricing on.

A simple document with bullet points for his works description, signed by both you and him before you start.

If daily rate (hmmm....maybe not a good idea over here, you'll soon be complaining about the lack of productivity), ensure you have rates for all trades and equipment supplied.

In any case it is vital you keep a daily work sheet recording personnel and equipment on site and a daily record of progress. If you can get the builder to agree and sign off the sheets each day it saves a load of hassle when it comes to claims for extras.

@Kwasaki is right on materials, get yourself a good supplier and pay direct.

It's not supervising yourself you've got to worry about, rather the builder.

Lastly remember, just because you have building experience that doesn't mean your builder will work to European construction methods. I found my builder willing to learn different building methods, but some of their methods, although different, work well.

Good luck to you too.

3 hours ago, bangkokpoppys said:

Cheers for that Kwasaki, I have the work permit and a good point about purchasing materials and closely supervising ourselves. 

Here's a couple of guide prices if use or carry out same.

There's a few different types of blocks the Concrete blocks we used were 195mm x 400mm and 60 baht per sq metre labour to lay.

Sand & cement rendering walls 60 baht per sq metre labour.

Will get more prices of things if it will help.