Pattaya Beach sand refill halts again

Rimmer

Pattaya Beach sand refill halts again

The delay-riddled project to restore Pattaya Beach has come to another sudden halt.

PATTAYA:--The delay-riddled project to restore Pattaya Beach came to another sudden halt for three weeks last month after it was found the imported sand did not match that on the beach.

Contractor Kijakarn Ruamka Marine Construction Co. stopped work Dec. 28 about halfway through the refill project after beach users complained about the sand laid near the Dusit Thani Hotel.

Sand packed in plastic bags are all that remains of the work crews. The sand within the bags was said to be of the wrong size and color to match what’s left on Pattaya Beach.

The company reportedly is now looking for a new source of sand despite the fact city hall spent millions of baht on university consultants who picked the sand being used.
Kijakarn representatives did not respond to requests for an interview.
Incorrect sand has twice delayed the 483-million-baht project.

The city originally had planned to bring sand from a Rayong estuary to an offshore barge in Pattaya, then use smaller equipment to bring the sand to shore and refill the beach and install supporting frames and breakwaters starting from the Dusit Curve southward.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-beach-sand-refill-halts-160453

PATTAYA MAIL 2017-01-06

can this country get anything right,  just get a bucket of the stuff, go to the proposed supply, compare, job done, oh no, this lot have to waste millions of baht on consultants this council should be sacked immediately, how many envelopes did that add up to, totally incompetant

They tried this near Cha Am...beach washed away so imported hundreds of ton of river sand....mixed with soil....it sets like concrete......and now filled with weeds.

Totally stupid....but then someone made a lot out of the sand, cartage and spreading.

From OP: The sand packed into sandbags is said to be of wrong size.  So the plan was to fill sandbags with sand piped in from offshore, about 600 are now on beach. Then empty those sandbags onto beach ??

Edited by morrobay

Why don't they just do what we do back in Oz, set up a dredge offshore where all the sand that was on the beach, is now, and pump it back onto the beach, but nah, that makes too much sense and possibly lines no ones pockets.

3 hours ago, Pungdo said:

Why don't they just do what we do back in Oz, set up a dredge offshore where all the sand that was on the beach, is now, and pump it back onto the beach, but nah, that makes too much sense and possibly lines no ones pockets.

Where have you been for the last 6 months ? Thats exactly what they just did filling up about 600 giant sandbags.

Then according to OP^  there was plans to construct some type of breakwater from Dusit pt South. No idea when/if that is going to take place. Then empty sand bags onto beach.

Photos are of the Dusit Thani beach. I dare say the sand size ( right sample) is the least of their problems.So as of now they have now for almost 500 million baht , 600 giant sandbags lying on beach. See photos in  Pattaya forum " Beach nurishment "  of sand that is wrong size. And one  sorry construction trailer trash mess just above Walking st.

all.jpg

Edited by morrobay

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

Where have you been for the last 6 months ? Thats exactly what they just did filling up about 600 giant sandbags.

Why would you fill sand bags if it was being pumped from offshore ??

Last I read they were going to bring it to Pattaya from down Rayong way.

I don't bother going into town much these days any way, so not much chance I am going to see or care much about the beach in any case.

On 06/01/2017 at 9:25 AM, Sooo Upto Me said:

How can u hav the wrong size of sand?

Oh yes I forgot it's Thailand. ?

depending where the sand comes from... colour and texture will change, some sand can be very course and not pleasant to walk on in bare feet.