English test centres in Leicester

Since the A1 test my wife took to come to the UK is no longer acceptable for her FLR application, we decided she should go for B1 which, unless they change the rules in the next few years, should sort her for the ILR application. So she recently took a B1 test in Birmingham, and from what she said about the woman conducting the test it doesn't sound like she enjoyed her job. She's (my wife) been in the UK over 2 years now and she has a job in a shop, so she can communicate perfectly well, but she was failed on pretty much everything she could fail on. Now I'm sure she wasn't properly prepared for the test which can't have helped, but the fail sheet pretty much suggested she doesn't speak or understand English which I disagree with. Sadly I can't be present and she can't record the test, so we'll never know if my wife sucked or if the woman was overly harsh. At the risk of getting the same woman, my wife wants to retake her test somewhere else. We live in Leicester, and a Thai girl she works with said she took a test about a year ago in Leicester, so that's where my wife wants to go.

I was looking at the approved test providers, and it's not clear if the following is acceptable for taking a B1 test as anyone can put a Trinity College logo on their page, doesn't mean they're affiliated or approved. Can anyone help me out?

http://www.cslearning.org.uk/b1-test-leicester

Another reason I'm not sure is the test cost me £150 in Birmingham which I assume is the rate Trinity College charges, but these only want £125. Would hate to pass the test only for Immigration not to accept it.

A1 to B1 is quite a jump in levels unless she was a particularly strong A1 or picks up language easily. the grammar is more challenging, especially tenses for thais. can she confidently use comparatives, superlatives, modals, future continuous, past perfect/continuous/simple, present prefect, present perfect past and phrasal verbs. if she can and she failed you have a case, if she cant then the examiner was probably correct

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, samsensam said:

A1 to B1 is quite a jump in levels unless she was a particularly strong A1 or picks up language easily. the grammar is more challenging, especially tenses for thais. can she confidently use comparatives, superlatives, modals, future continuous, past perfect/continuous/simple, present prefect, present perfect past and phrasal verbs. if she can and she failed you have a case, if she cant then the examiner was probably correct

To be perfectly honest I don't know what most of those are. Picking up on some of the words and what I've read, I've been trying to make sure she can talk about past and future and can express a preference.

Yes, within seconds the examiner knew she could speak English so she walked out with an A/A pass.

2 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

have you checked out Loughborough Univ? not too far from Leicester...

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/international/applicants/english/

That would be for study, for which she can go to, and has been to, Nuneaton (North Warwickshire & Hinckley College). No, we need an approved test centre near to us as the wife doesn't want to go to Birmingham next time for fear she gets the same woman. But thanks anyway for the input.

According to UK Visas & Immigration there are no approved test centres in Leicester: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/573290/Approved_Secure_English_Language_Tests_and_Test_Centres.pdf

And according to the Trinity website there are also no official Trinity test centres in Leicester: http://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=3286. It looks like we'll have to use Peterborough if we want to avoid Birmingham if we stick with official sites.

But according to the College of Skills & Learning their qualifications meet the requirements for visa applications and they offer tests in Leicester which the wife wants to use: http://www.cslearning.org.uk/ukba-requirements

I'm concerned that contrary to what they're claiming about meeting the requirements for visa applications, and even though they're displaying a Trinity logo, if they're not approved then the UKVI aren't going to accept the test are they? The Thai girl my wife works with says she took her test in Leicester about a year ago. However, I think I've been told she's been here 8 years so I'm not sure what test it was or what it was for as she'd have been on a 2-year track back then. I suppose it could have been citizenship to get her British passport (which I'm told by the wife she has), don't know if after ILR there's any different requirements or whether she did Life In The UK locally and if that would be okay?

I would strongly recommend that she only uses a test centre on the UKVI approved list and not trust a centre which says their tests are acceptable, but isn't on that list

As samsensam says, A1 to B1 is quite a jump; CEFR levels

A1: Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type. Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has. Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.

A2: Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment). Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters. Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need

B1: Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. Can produce simple connected text* on topics, which are familiar, or of personal interest. Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.

* Not required for visa or LTR purposes as only speaking and listening are needed.