Good Places For Xmas Lunch In Bkk?

1Lucky

my wife and I are trying to find a good place to have a slap up good xmas lunch on xmas day in bangkok with good food and a proper xmas atmosphere.

Any recommendations/suggestions much appreciated.

Also which areas in bkk have the best christmasy atmospheres. Are there any good places where they play xmas music (they do with string quartets in a lot of shopping malls in hong kong)

Lucky

I think the 'Londoner' might be a safe bet (Suk 33). I heard they do a good Christmas roast and even play 'Only Fools and Horse' Christmas specials. :o

If not I'm guessing the Irish bars and English pubs round Silom might serve you well. Try 'The Dubliner' near the Emporium. Avoid the 'The Bullshead' though, rubbish food.

Spent Xmas at the Londoner and indeed bkkmadess is right, old reruns of only fools and horses. And when the wife and i were there we had a 5 or 6 course dinner with drinks for under 2000 baht, which for that much food was pretty good.

If i remember rightly and it was a few years ago, we had lobster bisque, salmon, lemon sorbet, full turkey dinner, Xmas pud and mince pies and then coffee. So a pretty fair deal really. :o

Spent Xmas at the Londoner and indeed bkkmadess is right, old reruns of only fools and horses. And when the wife and i were there we had a 5 or 6 course dinner with drinks for under 2000 baht, which for that much food was pretty good.

If i remember rightly and it was a few years ago, we had lobster bisque, salmon, lemon sorbet, full turkey dinner, Xmas pud and mince pies and then coffee. So a pretty fair deal really. :o

Sounds good to me, do you need to book early for this? It ain't the biggest place in Bangkok and I can see it being a popular choice at Christmas.

Sounds good to me, do you need to book early for this? It ain't the biggest place in Bangkok and I can see it being a popular choice at Christmas.

I think i booked about a week in advance, it was a few years ago so i don't know if it has changed much. I just asked the wife how much it was and she said it was 750 baht each plus our drinks, so 2000 was about right, but then i don't drink so it probably would have been a fair bit more if i was boozing. :D

thanks guys - the recommendations are much appreciated. As its near to us and we like the british pub atmosphere we've decided to go for the bull's head. It does seem that you need to book these things as quick as possible though - several places seemed booked out already.

Lucky

As its near to us and we like the british pub atmosphere we've decided to go for the bull's head.

Since its Christmas and that's not a nioe day to ruin I gotta say again the food is not good there. Last time I tried it was when I finally gave up on the place was a Sunday Roast, some god awful meal that had just been microwaved up I expect, rock hard roast potatoes, tasteless veg, crap meat, a real disappointment. Nice atmosphere and staff though, good place for a beer or two but I don't eat there anymore.

Maybe they make a better effort for the Christmas lunch and if they do please report back and say so (for the sake of fairness) but I'd really be trying to avoid that place and getting to one of the other 'pubs'. The Dubliner and The Londoner are just down the road, but I expect these might be booked out already. Kind of tells you something don't it. :o

Hey maybe it's just me, surely some other members here have tried the Sunday roast/food at the Bullshead though, any reports?

I might try the Black Swan this year, food's pretty good there and a nice place. I'm guessing they will have Christmas lunch on.

Edited by bkkmadness

Sheraton Grande on Sukhumvit! Expensive at about 1200 per head but great atmosphere with all the restaurants participating. You can sit in any of the restaurants with the buffett set up in the middle. Best place to to sit is in the living room. Live music...carolers and great food. I've gone there the last few years. It books out quick as there is only one sitting starting at 1130 but they hold your table for whatever time you make it.

we eat at the bull's head fairly regularly and are usually pleased with the food - and we're quite picky. I can't vouch for the sunday roast but the english breakfast (except the toast), the bangers and mash, bangers eggs chips and beans, etc. are all good, authentic and reasonable value for money. unless they've changed the chef recently I can't say I share bkkmadness' experiences there. the staff are friendly and the atmosphere pleasant. We've been to the Londoner a few times and liked the food but didn't think the atmosphere was as good - a bit dingy and I guess more 'bar' than 'pub'- depends what you're into.

Lucky

Anyone tried Jools bar for Xmas dinner? I know their Sunday roast is lovely and their other food is of a very good standard, so i am pretty sure their Xmas dinner would be pretty good.

I know some people say it is very cliquey in there, but to be quite frank i go for the food, not the sizzling conversation. :o

Well Im a regular Sunday Roast Man, and the Bulls Head is very very good, the only thing and its a bit nit picky , is that the veg is allways the same, however, their Roast Pork or Roast Chicken sunday dinner washed down with a pint of Kilkenny (whilst ogling Heineken / Guiness Girls) is as pretty good as it gets

Yeah I agree the Bulls Head is good. Nice food (especailly the Fish n' Chips) Very friendly staff and a decent atmosphere.

As 1Lucky pointed out the atmosphere in the Londoner feels more like a bar/club than a nice cosy pub... Iknow which one I'd prefer for Xmas dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we did go the bull's head for our xmas meal and I'm pleased to report it was excellent. The atmosphere was the main thing - a real friendly Xmas party - a proper xmas feel. The food wasn't gourmet but it was just right for a traditional xmas dinner and the staff were great. They made our xmas day feel special and fun.

Hope everyone else had a great Xmas day.

Lucky

I went to the Intercontinental (Opposite The Erewan Hotel) this year because last year I had an excellent time there. This year was very disappointing and I got the impression that it was just like any other night except I was charged double. Last year they even had a buffet wine bar but even that had gone this year. I will choose another venue for next year, can anyone recommend based on their experience this year?