Is there any risk taking collagen plus 10,000 mg

surinteacher2016

The wife is taking this crap:

http://www.amselnutraceutical.com/collagen-plus-10000-berry

I couldn't see anything on the web regarding risks. Do you think there are any?

Also, whilst I have your attention... she is also taking Diane 35:

https://www.inhousepharmacy.vu/p-962-diane-35-21s.aspx

It says its a contraceptive that treats acne. Do you know any risks about this one? She doesnt have Hirsutism and only minor acne sometimes

thanks

Edited by surinteacher2016

I dunno about that brand but I've heard some negative reports about collagen hydrolysate as well as gelatin, though more positive reports than not.  This was with 3 brands though if I recall correctly, Great Lakes and I forget the names of the other 2.  People were also mostly taking it for GI issues and leaky gut.  Mostly the problems were headaches from what I remember and they went away a day or so after stopping the supplement. 

Collagen:  hypercalcemia, constipation, bone pain, fatigue, abnormal heart rhythms, and hypersensitivity to allergens or food (the bone pain and abnormal heart rhythm are both related to the hypercalcemia).  Many people also get a temporary bad taste in the mouth.

Diane 35 has the same side effects as any birth control pill. Common, minor ones include water retention/bloating, nausea, depression, headache, breast tenderness. Rare but more serious is an increased risk of blood clots. There may be a very slight elevation in risk of breast cancer and cervical cancer. 

Unless a woman has certain specific risk factors, on balance the risks associated with  oral contraceptives are lower than the risks of not taking them, as they are a very effective contraceptive and pregnancy has its own risks.

Plenty of literature available on line on the side effects of oral contraceptives.

• 2 weeks later...