Thai filmmakers want to bust cinema monopoly for sake of better movies

snoop1130

9 hours ago, madmitch said:

You've alluded to what I was going to say.

It's no different to other places in the world where the big cinemas only show the so-called blockbusters and the only way to view smaller independent productions is at small cinemas and clubs. I don't know if the big 2 are preventing this from happening. I'm sure there used to be a smaller operation in Phuket Town a while back.

Unfortunately this needs funding and you need enthusiasts who aren't purely in it for the money, like the three guys mentioned in the post above.

There's an article on small breweries in a newspaper that I can't quote here but they are suffering in a similar way in that the lawmakers and big business seem to be hand in hand in this country, where monopolies and oligopolies thrive.

Well in the case of the breweries, it is almost positively lobbying of the senate, and the lawmakers, that is keeping them down. The bigs are just too big. And to think that Thailand signed onto the most recent ASEAN charter, which allowed for free trade of alcoholic beverages between all ASEAN nations, starting on January 1, 2016. How many Bintangs have you seen lately, in your local Tesco? My guess is they never had any intention of allowing this to take place. Considering how mediocre the local product is, a multi billion dollar a year industry would be hurting by now, if they abided by their promises, and enforced the laws. 

On 12/01/2017 at 7:57 PM, Bluespunk said:

"For one, they want multiplex cinemas to give over no more than 20 percent of their screens to a single film in order to make space for non-blockbusters. They also asked that Thai-made films be shown five times daily for at least two weeks, and a 2008 law fixing a ratio of imported and domestic films be enforced."

So they want the cinemas to stop showing movies people want to see and show their movies, because they feel the public should watch them?.

Yes, because studios monopolising the cinemas screenings translates to people only wanting to see the only movies being shown at the cinema, you really grasped that one, didn't you?

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

Yes, because studios monopolising the cinemas screenings translates to people only wanting to see the only movies being shown at the cinema, you really grasped that one, didn't you?

none the less these whining producers are doing exactly what I said they were doing. 

Wah, wah, you must show my movie, wah, wah, wah. 

Can you grasp that? 

Edited by Bluespunk

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

none the less these whining producers are doing exactly what I said they were doing. 

Wah, wah, you must show my movie, wah, wah, wah. 

Can you grasp that? 

You do realise cinemas want to make make a profit? 

They are not asking for their movies to be shown, they are asking that the same studios do not get the same movies shown all the time, can you grasp that or do you simply have to resort to this infantile level of hyperbole to hide the fact that you have no grasp on the subject whatsoever?

3 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

They are not asking for their movies to be shown, they are asking that the same studios do not get the same movies shown all the time, can you grasp that or do you simply have to resort to this infantile level of hyperbole to hide the fact that you have no grasp on the subject whatsoever?

"They also asked that Thai-made films be shown five times daily for at least two weeks,"

I've got a perfectly good grasp of the subject. 

Edited by Bluespunk

13 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

"They also asked that Thai-made films be shown five times daily for at least two weeks,"

I've got a perfectly good grasp of the subject. 

What, wanting Thai films to be shown in Thai films means they want "their" films to be shown, really?  I don't think it does, I think it means they want to aid the development of the flagging Thai film industry.

And the subject you seem ignorant of is the monopolising of cinemas, which you clearly don't grasp at all or you would not be coming out with tripe like, "cinemas show what people want to see", which is an off the top of your head and false assumption.

10 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

What, wanting Thai films to be shown in Thai films means they want "their" films to be shown, really?  I don't think it does, I think it means they want to aid the development of the flagging Thai film industry.

And the subject you seem ignorant of is the monopolising of cinemas, which you clearly don't grasp at all or you would not be coming out with tripe like, "cinemas show what people want to see", which is an off the top of your head and false assumption.

I go to movies on a regular basis and there are always Thai movies on show.

So if there are already Thai movies being shown, whose movies are these a producers asking to be shown...

Hmm, there's a puzzler.

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I go to movies on a regular basis and there are always Thai movies on show.

So if there are already Thai movies being shown, whose movies are these a producers asking to be shown...

Hmm, there's a puzzler.

Yes, there are Thai movies on at the cinema, there is also a very lagging movie industry in Thailand, showing more Thai movies more often, you know like they say they want, would actually help the industry, was that a very complex puzzle for you?

5 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Yes, there are Thai movies on at the cinema, there is also a very lagging movie industry in Thailand, showing more Thai movies more often, you know like they say they want, would actually help the industry, was that a very complex puzzle for you?

They are being shown, frequently.

Always see Thai movies on show.

So again, whose movies are these producers saying should be shown?

Is that answer too complex to figure out?

As it happens, thanks to spider mike, I now know where there is a more independent cinema venue showing Thai films and I shall check it out.

Doesn't change the message I see these producers putting out though.

Edited by Bluespunk

15 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

They are being shown, frequently.

Always see Thai movies on show.

So again, whose movies are these producers saying should be shown?

Is that answer too complex to figure out?

As it happens, thanks to spider mike, I now know where there is a more independent cinema venue showing Thai films and I shall check it out.

Doesn't change the message I see these producers putting out though.

The message being that people shouldn't have to seek out an independent cinema to see the less mainstream Thai movie they want but should be able to see it at the multiplex?  Complex, my arse!

Just now, Shawn0000 said:

The message being that people shouldn't have to seek out an independent cinema to see the less mainstream Thai movie they want but should be able to see it at the multiplex?  Complex, my arse!

Thai movies are being shown.

They just want their Thai movies to be shown.

You are slandering these people for trying to do something positive, stick to the comments on their clothing, at least that comment was based on something you know about.

Slandering?

Yeah, right...

They can make the movies they want to, good luck to them

However saying they must be shown five times daily for two weeks, don't think so.

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Slandering?

Yeah, right...

They can make the movies they want to, good luck to them

However saying they must be shown five times daily for two weeks, don't think so.

Can you substantiate your claim that they are not, as they claim, trying boost the Thai movie industry, but actually are self serving and trying to get their own movies shown?  If not, that would be by definition slanderous.

Clearly all this is a bit much for you, what do you think of the jacket?

Can you substantiate your claim that they are not, as they claim, trying boost the Thai movie industry, but actually are self serving and trying to get their own movies shown?  If not, that would be by definition slanderous.

Clearly all this is a bit much for you, what do you think of the jacket?

Thai movies are being shown in mainstream cinemas.

They are shown frequently.

Which films, that should be shown, are these producers referring to if not their own?

There are plenty of movies being shown made by Thais.

23 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Thai movies are being shown in mainstream cinemas.

They are shown frequently.

Which films, that should be shown, are these producers referring to if not their own?

There are plenty of movies being shown made by Thais.

What are you hoping to find at the independent cinema you found out about and why there instead of your local, or do you think they will have different movies showing?

And the jacket?  Do you like it?

16 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

What are you hoping to find at the independent cinema you found out about and why there instead of your local, or do you think they will have different movies showing?

And the jacket?  Do you like it?

I like independent movies, enjoy watching them when I get the chance.

I'll admit there have been a number I've watched over the years that I had to watch several times before I fully understood the message.

Others I never did...

Some I still watch to the present on dvd [Kiss of The Spider-woman, Rosencrantz and Guildernstern are Dead...ok, easier to access, but still wonderful to watch]

Some like The Dead are quasi-independent but they were not commercial success' due to the films pace and theme.

I just don't think producers can demand they be shown five times a day for two weeks in mainstream cinemas.

Edited by Bluespunk

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I like independent movies, enjoy watching them when I get the chance.

I'll admit there have been a number I've watched over the years that I had to watch several times before I fully understood the message.

Others I never did...

Some I still watch to the present on dvd [Kiss of The Spider-woman,  The Dead, Rosencrantz and Guilderstern are Dead...ok, easier to access, but still wonderful to watch]

I just don't think producers can demand they be shown five times a day for two weeks in mainstream cinemas.

Im more interested in what you think about the jacket.

Perhaps Thai people prefer watching foreign movies instead of elephant fights? Even my ultra Thai wife prefers watching lala land over the same old boring stuff.

14 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Perhaps Thai people prefer watching foreign movies instead of elephant fights? Even my ultra Thai wife prefers watching lala land over the same old boring stuff.

I believe the idea being to promote and thus finance the Thai movie industry to the extent that there is a little more on offer than the current standard of Thai movies, things could progress if they were encouraged.

5 hours ago, frangkila said:

Well it is Thailand, so the topic is about Thais, not pesky farangs like yourself?

So movies -in your opinion- can not be good and NOT about farang, at the same time?

Interesting!

There's some good local film talent here, and Thailand has historically had a good domestic film scene. There are a number of countries where all you can find on the at the cinema is Hollywood fare, but here in Thailand there is almost always a local film being shown at the major theaters. The trouble is they often aren't given long runs even if the film is well received. The Last Executioner had a week or two, Hotel Mist, was not allowed to even be distributed and Thailand's best know living film-maker lives in exile and refuses to even screen his films here. So if you're making something edgy you will find resistance under the current regime. 

On the other hand, if you have a small budget, and you shoot a genre film, horror or comedy, say, you can make a big profit as a film-maker here on a film by film basis.

So what this is about, in my mind, is censorship. It is about a group of film-makers making a stand against the censorship of their films. This censorship may take the shape of limited distribution or even direct attitude adjustment style action to stop them working, but whatever shape it takes their response is a stand against a backwards looking regime that has found themselves as art critics not on merit, not on election, but on self appointment.  

I support them.