The Harbour shopping centre 50% demolished

midas

Does anyone know what they are going to put on this site now on Huay Keaw Road?

It only seems like yesterday (although it was actually 2013) when they celebrated their grand opening....

Is that the life expectancy of a Chiang Mai shopping centre now- four years?:blink:

Not sure how it managed to keep going so long. I went in the first few months and it was dead, nothing interesting and wasnt long before it turned into another bar.

same old problem no one actually knows how to develop and run a business and then of course greedy landlords. they just cause each other to fail.

Its like everything and everyone here, an attention span of 10 minutes.

i  much prefer seeing a greedy hotel developer lose millions the same way.

It was extremely busy in its last year of existence with lot of live music and full house at some its establishments almost every nights. I live right next to the area and pass it 2-3 times a day. That's why it is quite a surprise for me that they are tearing it down now because it was quite a success. Most of the pubs opened after 18:00-19:00 so maybe that's why it seemed dead in the daytime.

Either it was too noisy for old grumpy residents who live nearby or teamoneys weren't paid.

4 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Was quieter than a cemetry in the day time.Not many businesses can survive,unless they are bars, on foot traffic after 6pm.

It was mostly clothing shops (in the daytime), right?

I’ve gone through it a few times, but never really noticed what was for sale there.

The Harbour??  In Chiang Mai??  CM is a long way from any harbour, so misnamed if nothing else, but was no cause for Iit to fail.

It reminds me of the time when 'Centrepoint' was a common, and popular, name, and Centrepoints sprung up miles from the centre of anywhere.

10 hours ago, lkn said:

It was mostly clothing shops (in the daytime), right?

I’ve gone through it a few times, but never really noticed what was for sale there.

It was a mix ,coffee shops ,cafes ,clothes ,beauty & makeup, hairdresers the normal mix.I only went there for the Bangkok Bank as my main contact was moved there as it was thought for some strange logic that foreigners would be availing themselves of the bank.He went to KSK shortly after as it was deadsville.Yet another  hotel seems likely maybe with a coffee shop or 2 , there is a distinct shortage of those.

12 hours ago, themerg said:

I was told by Bangkok Bank manager in October,2016; that the property is going to be a Hotel.

I somehow doubt that is true or maybe things have changed drastically since you had your conversation with that bank manager.

I was told this evening the entire Huay Kaew Road is now referred to by building owners and developers as the " red zone " because they are strictly enforcing a law which says that unless you received a hotel licence several years ago, it is virtually impossible to get one now and going forward.

This information actually comes from a Thai building owner who has a newly developed serviced apartment complex on Huay Kaew Road itself. Two years ago he added another 12 story building to an existing complex with the plan being to lease part of it like a hotel on a nightly basis. He has since been told to cease such operations immediately which means he can now only lease all his apartments on a long-term basis which has really thrown the spanner in the works regarding his business plan and feasibility study which was the basis of him adding the extra multi-storey structure.

The only possibility for a hotel on The Harbour site is if the owner of that land had the foresight to lodge an application for a hotel licence several years ago  because as of today no one will get a new one in that area. His other comment was that it is likely existing hotels will soon be putting up their rates.

Looks like they are stripping the bones to recover any bit of recycleable metals.

Whimsical nautical themed shopping plaza in Chiang Mai never seemed appropriate. 

A huge plot of land sure to see a modern Hotel or Condo at least as high as Maya.

Edited by Dipterocarp

Nonsense has been the trademark of many structures over the years.  Like an office complex called the World Trade Center;  the Alpensicht (alp view) center in Hamburg;  the Snowflake Center in Miami, and so forth.  What's the problem?

On 1/14/2017 at 5:30 AM, F4UCorsair said:

The Harbour??  In Chiang Mai??  CM is a long way from any harbour, so misnamed if nothing else, but was no cause for Iit to fail.

It reminds me of the time when 'Centrepoint' was a common, and popular, name, and Centrepoints sprung up miles from the centre of anywhere.

On 1/13/2017 at 6:47 PM, Sparkles said:

It was a mix ,coffee shops ,cafes ,clothes ,beauty & makeup, hairdresers the normal mix.I only went there for the Bangkok Bank as my main contact was moved there as it was thought for some strange logic that foreigners would be availing themselves of the bank.He went to KSK shortly after as it was deadsville.Yet another  hotel seems likely maybe with a coffee shop or 2 , there is a distinct shortage of those.

Was that Khun Pipat by any chance? The only reason I was ever at Harbour was to see him after they moved him from the Chang Puak branch. I was always puzzled at the move even though it was theoretically a promotion. If he went to the KSK branch that is good to know.

Edited by grin
Fixed spelling

On 1/14/2017 at 9:47 AM, Sparkles said:

.I only went there for the Bangkok Bank as my main contact was moved there as it was thought for some strange logic that foreigners would be availing themselves of the bank.He went to KSK shortly after as it was deadsville

here ya go :)

the ex deadsville bangkok bank :)

dave2

bangkok bank the harbour 13 may 15 20150513_122703.jpg

17 hours ago, grin said:

Was that Khun Pipat by any chance? The only reason I was ever at Harbour was to see him after they moved him from the Chang Puak branch. I was always puzzled at the move even though it was theoretically a promotion. If he went to the KSK branch that is good to know.

No Mr Sombat, who was previously at the branch near Chiang Mai Gate.He was moved there because he was experinced in handling foreigners problems.After a while was again transferred to KSK and is still there.He did say the number of customers at The Harbour was minimal, BB expected more. He and I had no idea why there was that expectation.