Racism, anger and why dual pricing makes sense to Thai people

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, thetruth revealer said:

thats the crackpoint, how can we be genereous if they initally try to rip off??

Last week I had to buy an item from the local hardware shop,  I use the place quite often. It's run by a mother and daughter. The item wasn't priced and although never used had been in the shop for a long time. When I asked for the price neither of them really knew so the mother just said 50 baht. It was worth more than that so I gave them 100 and I was very happy with the deal and so were they.

10 minutes ago, thetruth revealer said:

thats the crackpoint, how can we be genereous if they initally try to rip off??

Except in my experience with tradesmen, they originally charge close to normal prices - and then increase their prices dramatically when they realise we are generous :sad:.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Just now, overherebc said:

Last week I had to buy an item from the local hardware shop,  I use the place quite often. It's run by a mother and daughter. The item wasn't priced and although never used had been in the shop for a long time. When I asked for the price neither of them really knew so the mother just said 50 baht. It was worth more than that so I gave them 100 and I was very happy with the deal and so were they.

Good point.  I had a similar experience when a friend was visiting and we went to a bar for a few drinks.

It was a bar with a wonderful view of the ocean, but in a relatively isolated area so had v few customers whilst we were there (off season).  I asked for a glass of wine, which sent the owner searching for a bottle of wine (:lol:) and when asked 'how much?' , she didn't know so asked for something well below the expected price.

I still feel (a bit) guilty that I didn't pay more than the amount she guessed - bearing in mind I don't frequent bars and so have never been back. 

8 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Except in my experience with tradesmen, they originally charge close to normal prices - and then increase their prices dramatically when they realise we are generous :sad:.

In a way I can understand it, not excuse it.

If they turn up to quote for work and the house has two expensive cars in the drive and they are driving a just holding together pick up it's obvious they can see the chance to make money. The problem is that they go OTT on it.

13 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Just now, overherebc said:

In a way I can understand it, not excuse it.

If they turn up to quote for work and the house has two expensive cars in the drive and they are driving a just holding together pick up it's obvious they can see the chance to make money. The problem is that they go OTT on it.

Except, as I mentioned, they originally charged reasonable prices (and there are no expensive cars in the drive, although I'm lucky enough to live in an isolated rented house in a beautiful situation).

I think I made the mistake of being generous when they were charging reasonable prices - which made them think I was stupid and rich?

13 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Except, as I mentioned, they originally charged reasonable prices (and there are no expensive cars in the drive, although I'm lucky enough to live in an isolated rented house in a beautiful situation).

I think I made the mistake of being generous when they were charging reasonable prices - which made them think I was stupid and rich?

Yep been there.

• Like 1

Mexico is a 3rd world, boarding 2nd world country, yet all their archaeological sites are open for free on Sundays to the public, including tourist.

What exactly is Thailand's excuse for this bullsh@t nonsense?

They are "too poor" so they assume Gringos have money falling out of their pockets.

How about Thai Hi-So's?
How about Asian tourist who enter parks and pay Thai fees?

I don't think the ticket lady can differentiate between a Cambodian, Lao, Burmese or for that matter, any other Asian nationality who manages to keep their mouths shut whilst purchasing an entrance ticket.

Lucky for them. Unlucky for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

Are you seriously trying to tell me that you think giving tourists a discount in Japan Switzerland is discriminating?  What a peculiar take on positive discrimination.

I'm sure it's been posted before but all the places we've visited outside Thailand have entry fees posted generally on the following lines.

Visitors xx pounds

OAP xx% discount.

Students with ID xx% discount.

Registered disabled xx% discount

etc etc.

Where is the discrimination?

2 hours ago, maxpower said:

I just work here, its where the company parked me. No paradise , just the everyday slog working with those who have little forward thinking.

so you have to choose - either work in Thailand and earn money - or find another job in another country. simple

10 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

so you have to choose - either work in Thailand and earn money - or find another job in another country. simple

Why didn't I think of that when I came here 20+ years ago.

How humble do I feel now knowing so late that was all I had to do to be happy.

3 hours ago, Matt96 said:

I don't know where it was directed that. but for a long time i see the same phenomena:

farangs keep whining about how Thailand is racist, how they are scammed, disrespected etc. but no one of them wants to leave. on contrary they pay a lot to keep living in Thailand. fake education, fake departures (AKA visa runs), fake companies with fake staff, fake wifes, fake pensions, fake adopted fathers, fake kids - you name it.

are they masochists? do they intentionally torture themselves by living in Thailand?

They keep doing it because they are either too broke to live in their own countries, can't get laid in their own country, are such miserable pr**ks that they burned all their bridges and relationships back home, or feel they are entitled to drop out of the rat race back home and "retire" early and can't get over the fact that their life didn't end up sipping cocktails on a beach with a woman under each arm.  

Those of us who see Thailand as simply a dot on the map that has pros and cons don't cry like little girls when we run across realities. We play the cards dealt and if we are unwilling to accept our hand we fold and move on to the next place.  

I dont care care if you stay in a bad marriage, a bad job, or a country you can't stand, you are a weak individual.  You give up your power and get angry and bitter because deep down you know you're weak and pitiful.  

Does that mean that I love everything in Thailand?   No.  It means I've put myself both financially and emotionally in a spot where I respect myself enough to walk away from any situation where I feel I'm being treated unjustly.  

I can can look at something like this and find it a minor irritant like a mosquito bite.  

It it just cracks me up at how some of the jackholes can get so enraged at 400 baht and scream about fairness as they stay silent about all sorts of major issues like human rights abuses, human trafficking, feudalism, etc.  

Funny how they get all self righteous about dual pricing and say they won't support it up they have no problem pumping tourist or other money into a system that is so obviously corrupt and feeds off of disenfranchising of millions of people.  

Yeah, tell me again how you're taking the moral and ethical high ground by ripping off a street vendor for 100 baht.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

Correct....It is discrimination.

Which actually is not illegal in any country unless it occurs against a class of people the government has deemed protected.  You can discriminate against young people by offering a seniors discount but you cannot discriminate based on race because race is a protected class.  

2 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Nice man wonderful way with words hope there are no kids reading this.

Really?  You think TV is a children's forum?  

I could at least respect your objection if you positioned it as being offended as a good moral Christian but all this says to me is that you have no valid argument and this was the best comeback you could come up with.   

16 minutes ago, joskeshake said:

On Pattaya thai is a baber shop, also have dual prices, went few times, but then I noticed the thais payd less than me for the same or more action.now I go somewhere else,one price

Maybe they charge less for Thais because they are less miserable and complain less.  

Funny its it's never dawned on people that they might be getting charged an a**hole tax.  

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

I once broke down the cost quoted by a local builder, my wife buying the materials, not me and it worked out that it was going to be 1500 baht a day for each man. When I questioned the rate he started talking to my wife and not me, she just smiled and said talk to my husband. He was blatant in his attitude that I should pay double the 'normal' rate.

He didn't get the work.

Dude, I deal with contractors in the US all the time and get BS estimates.  As soon as I start showing them I know their labor or materials rates are BS they either try to defend them and get fired or they teach me something about the job I didn't know.  

Ive had the same happen to me in software development and I have over 20 years experience.  

People Le try to rip you off.  It's not a Thai thing. Sorry if this is the first time in your life you've had this happen.  

23 minutes ago, digibum said:

Which actually is not illegal in any country unless it occurs against a class of people the government has deemed protected.  You can discriminate against young people by offering a seniors discount but you cannot discriminate based on race because race is a protected class.  

wrong, you surely dont know all other countries law ....?

On 14/01/2017 at 9:47 AM, doggie1955 said:

I know how you feel....Last time I was at the bars in Bangkok, the girls were buying me drinks.

And when we went to my room I asked her how much, she said she would give me 2,000 bath.

Are you from Belfast by chance?

58 minutes ago, digibum said:

They keep doing it because they are either too broke to live in their own countries, can't get laid in their own country, are such miserable pr**ks that they burned all their bridges and relationships back home, or feel they are entitled to drop out of the rat race back home and "retire" early and can't get over the fact that their life didn't end up sipping cocktails on a beach with a woman under each arm.  

Those of us who see Thailand as simply a dot on the map that has pros and cons don't cry like little girls when we run across realities. We play the cards dealt and if we are unwilling to accept our hand we fold and move on to the next place.  

I dont care care if you stay in a bad marriage, a bad job, or a country you can't stand, you are a weak individual.  You give up your power and get angry and bitter because deep down you know you're weak and pitiful.  

Does that mean that I love everything in Thailand?   No.  It means I've put myself both financially and emotionally in a spot where I respect myself enough to walk away from any situation where I feel I'm being treated unjustly.  

I can can look at something like this and find it a minor irritant like a mosquito bite.  

It it just cracks me up at how some of the jackholes can get so enraged at 400 baht and scream about fairness as they stay silent about all sorts of major issues like human rights abuses, human trafficking, feudalism, etc.  

Funny how they get all self righteous about dual pricing and say they won't support it up they have no problem pumping tourist or other money into a system that is so obviously corrupt and feeds off of disenfranchising of millions of people.  

Yeah, tell me again how you're taking the moral and ethical high ground by ripping off a street vendor for 100 baht.  

You are my absolute hero! So pure, so visionary.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, thetruth revealer said:

wrong, you surely dont know all other countries law ....?

True, I don't know what the protected classes are in every country but that's generally how the law works in most places.  Discrimination, although it has a negative connotation simply means to give preference over something else.  

1 hour ago, digibum said:

Wrong about me anyway on so many points in your post.

Not bitter not broke bridges still intact and learned long ago not to spout off about things I have no control over.

Would go on but I'm on the beach relaxing with my wife as we do most evenings.

Anyway you carry on.

?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, newatthis said:

You may be right about the fact he should have paid the 200 baht or walked away without buying. But beating the snot out of anyone is not right.

Sometimes violence is the answer.  Unfortunately, a whole generation (possibly two) of people have grown up and not learned some of life's harsh lessons via the business end of a belt or, as adults, fists.  

Life is cheap in Thailand and anybody who thinks that they can rip off a street vendor and the worst that is going to happen to them is they get arrested and face a fair jury has a lot of emotional growing up to do.  People can lose their lives over something that stupid so getting the snot beat out of them is, perhaps, doing them a favor before they anger the wrong person.  

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Not bitter not broke bridges still intact and learned long ago not to spout off about things I have no control over.

Anyway you carry on.

?

No you're not.  You're on TV.  

And if you are with your wife relaxing on a beach and you took the time out to respond, you've proven what I said is right.  

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Anyway you carry on.

?

:cheesy: my thought....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thetruth revealer said:

Its still available for residents as well...

Even though it clearly says it is not?  Do you have a link to somewhere that sells this pass that does not state that it is only available to non Swiss residents, every site I see says the same.

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

I'm sure it's been posted before but all the places we've visited outside Thailand have entry fees posted generally on the following lines.

Visitors xx pounds

OAP xx% discount.

Students with ID xx% discount.

Registered disabled xx% discount

etc etc.

Where is the discrimination?

There are other countries that charge more for non residents and a couple who charge less, the question was specifically regarding those charge less and how is it discriminatory to offer tourists a discount?