Skype Connundrum

ezzra

Assuming my Wife takes her Thai mobile phone with local Sim card Overseas and I call her using Skype ( from my Computer )

would she end up paying any thing for the call or the portion of the call? as I know that I'll be charged making the call

to her at a higher rate that if i were to call just an overseas based Mobile Phone,

any one with first hand experience?

You'll pay the same price as if she was in Thailand: for Skype your are calling a Thai mobile phone and will be charged accordingly.

She'll pay the price to transfer your call from Thailand to the country where she is, the roaming fee, which depends on roaming agreement between her Thai mobile operator and a local mobile operator. And if there is no agreement, then she won't be able to use her mobile in the foreign country (for example last time I went France, impossible to use True Move sim card, no roaming agreement).

yeti's spot on.

it'd be better for your wife to buy a local prepay sim card.

than with that new "local" number you can call in the manner you wish, without her cell phone incurring the charges.

She will need to ensure her "contacts" are held in Phone memory, and not the Sim memory. There's an option to change this on most mobile phones I know, and it's pretty simple.

Anyone overseas for more than a few days is well advised to look

at buying a local pre-paid SIM card and using that for local and overseas

calls.

not possible in many countries.

-------

"Roaming charges are usually outrageous"

not only outrageous but highway robbery! :o