Aspirin

thescot

@thaibob 500mg aspirin "for headaches" or the tiny 30mg for heart conditions ?

Today I went to Big C south and at Boots they had packets of the low dose (for heart conditions) 30 tablets for 80 baht. the 2 other chemists in the mall had no asprin at all !

Boots and other outlets in malls are not proper pharmacies. They primarily sell cosmetics and toiletries, and have only a small selection of pharmaceuticals (and more often than not, no full fl;edged pharmacist).

Try an actual dedicated pharmacy. There are often good large ones located near government hospitals. 

When you do, write out the name of what you want as Thais have their own ways of pronouncing drug names and may not understand yours.

Thanks Sheryl I do understand and appreciate the advice.
I guess we will never know why such a common and widly used medicine has become unavailable in all the places it used to be available (in Pattaya)

I will eventually go and try the very large Faschino shop
if Thaibob can confirm they do have the larger dosage pills I'd be there in a double quick time.

@johng:  My experience has been that if the smaller Fascino stores in Pattaya don't have what you want, but the big store on Pattaya Nua does, the smaller shop can request it from them and have it in a day or two.  If you live closer to one of the smaller Fascinos, it might be worth asking and saving a trip cross-town?

• 1 month later...

Well this announcement here might have something to do with  Aspirin not being easily available

not the rubbish I was told about the factory moving or having run out of stock, it will be back in the new year etc .....  when I say aspirin I mean the 500mg tablets that have been sold for years  at all chemists shops.. almost all the shops that used to sell it say that now only the pharmacist can distribute aspirin,  most of the time the pharmacist is not there and the whole medicine section is covered over with signs apologising for the inconvenience if  the pharmacist is there then all they have to sell is the expensive low dose tablets !!!!!!!!

Will it be ok to order some 500 mg aspirin tablets online and sent by the post office,  its not a controlled drug now is it ????

It really is mot difficult to find aspirin, you just need to ho yo a "real", large, busy pharmacy. NOT the small pharmacy desks in stores like Boots, Watsons etc. "Real pharmacies are often found near large government hospitals. These always have pharmacists on duty.

3 hours ago, agudbuk said:

Never had a problem buying low dose aspirin

Yes but I don't want low dose    I want the 500mg tablets that up until late last year where sold everywhere  you could cut them into four for a low dose  and they didn't cost the earth or require a major Spanish inquisition to buy them...

I'll try at my local hospital to see if they re willing to sell 500mg tablets.