Tank Style Hot Water Heater

When we built a couple of years or so ago, I opted for a tank style hot water heater.  I wanted my rain shower to serve an appropriate purpose on cold "winter" mornings. If I recall, we bought a 35 liter German make -- and mounted it on an outside wall on our covered terrace.  It has worked out very well -- mostly.

A few weeks back the hot water side hose blew out.  Flooded the terrace (no real harm) but had Ms. Klikster hot-footing and scrambling around. Got the hose replaced with a (hopefully) stronger one.

Why I'm posting this is to warn folks.  The electrician who installed our unit told of installing a similar heater in a new build about the same time ours was connected -- a house about 20-30 km south of Khon Kaen.  But the guy (farang) wanted his hidden and insisted it be in the space above his ceiling!

So if any of you folks did the same, or know someone else who did, please let them know about the potential for some serious water damage.

Most houses in our village use 150 L boilers from Stiebel. And we also had problems. They don't are very reliable, especially when not uses often. We had a problem with some models, which were replaced by Stiebel. We also had a major failure, after the technician has used a wrong hose, which was not suitable for hot water...

I also wound't recommend to put the boiler above the ceiling. This save some space - but creates a lot of trouble in case of a leak or a repair/replacement of the boiler.

I would recommend multi-point instant heaters. They are more expensive, but you are more flexible. We use 8 kW models from Stiebel for our kitchens and the guest bathroom.

We also have a heat-pump from Energy Master with 200 L tank. It is quite expensive, but very reliable since 2010. We first used it for the whole house, but no installed the heaters as mentioned above. The 200 litres weren't enough for the kitchen and with guests. We like (long and) hot showers and there wasn't enough hot water in the evening... :smile:

Our village don't allow solar water heaters. The passive system like from Solahart seems to be an interesting 

It is not only the hose. I also have a 150l hot water tank.

Am renovating the bathroom, shower goes to another corner and therefore must relocate the pipes ( both hot and cold).

Hot water pipes are approx 12y old, steel made and massively corrugated, lost almost 50% of the diameter and are leaking in corners.

Replacing them now in all wet rooms (kitchen, bathrooms). Old tubes stay in the walls and floors, new tubes come from the heater through the roof into the rooms, fastest and cleanest solution.

New tubes are kind of reddish plastic style that should both insulate and never corrugate

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

In the US I have a hot water tank installed on a storage space above my office, it is installed in a spill tray with a drain pipe directing any water spill outside. something like this. If not available for sale, I am sure something like this can be easily made at a local tin shop.

58186682-5fd0-43fd-b126-9bc578fa0b6b_100