Farang rides mountain bike on temple. People get annoyed

webfact

For starters it looks like the remaining base of an old building. So common sense should tell him he shouldn't be riding on ancient buildings. Secondly it looks within the perimeter of the ubosot so that is a big no no , as access is often blocked to the ubosot in even the more ordinary temples.

The brickwork could be what remains of the ancient ubosot.

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Yes, a bit dumb. Meanwhile, numerous Thai Buddhists that have committed a crime spend bogus time in Thai temples to absolve themselves. 

Same same as some religions. Do something wrong, pray for forgiveness and then you can go out and do it all over again.

23 minutes ago, speckio said:

it has nothing to do with rubber tires or rubber shoes 

I have no clue what faith or religion you have if any... but its about showing respect

riding a bike through temple grounds is like riding a bike through a church, common sense you just don't do it out of respect for other people's beliefs!

and if you still dont get it... how would you feel if someone pissed on the side of your house?

These ruins are no longer consecrated, therefore no longer of any active religious significance, however in their historical significance they will still retain varying degrees of 'importance' to the Thais which is purely subjective as to who is causing offence. 

Some of the umbrage shown here founded in ignorance of the above fact nicely highlights how many members here are the truly ignorant ones....

In Bangkok I see lots of the Thai people wearing black,  When they do this they do not need extra

badges, or ribbons, or wrist bands.  Try to keep your self rightous comments to the truth.  ANd if you

see any people who by the way may not have enough baht to buy themselves a badge or ribbon

I hope that you Mercman24 and other Expat Farangs do give them some baht so they can show 

respect so that you and others are not sooo  risrespected.

Geezer,  I am the Farang  in a Black shirt, or wear my black ribbon if I am wearing a light

color.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

a male foreigner rides a mountain bike off a low wall on the grounds of Wat Jedyod, while another films him doing bike stunts.

Stunts?, wow this is an all out action vid being film secretly...can't wait to see part 2.

How on earth does something like this make it to news?
There will be /are/have been worse idiotic occasions at temples than this pathetic piece of reportage, that has never made it anywhere near the news. 

Can someone tell me who or what Khaosod English is please? Are they a online news agency or do they have a "Brick and Mortar" office?

The original article states:

January 18, 2017 12:11 pm

4 hours ago, speckio said:

I have no clue what faith or religion you have if any... but its about showing respect

riding a bike through temple grounds is like riding a bike through a church, common sense you just don't do it out of respect for other people's beliefs!

and if you still dont get it... how would you feel if someone pissed on the side of your house?

What about funerals when everybody drives in om cars and motor bikes.You are all to sensitive,luckily Thais are more practicable.

Just to let all of you know..... Buddhism is not a religion !

Buddhism doesn't fit neatly into either category of religion or philosophy. When people asked Buddha what he was teaching, he said he teaches "the way things are." He said nobody should believe his teachings out of faith, but instead they should examine for themselves to see if they are true or not  Buddha  was just a man, just like Jesus was.

Ever been to a temple fair at a decent sized village. Not much "respect" to be observed, although some scantily clad dancers may be in attendance. At our local wat on Loi Krathong no coyote dancers but the winner of the home made fireworks competition, as judged by the headman and monk, wins a bottle of Sang Som.

Won't bother to comment on the ridiculous idea that Buddhism is not a religion, but I believe it was the great Bhuddadasa who liked to pat the top of Buddha images heads to remind people that it is only a stone carving. The Thai rabble wading in the shallows of social media would be well advised to ponder his wise comments before engaging in their hypocritical orgy of sanctimonious offense.

Happy Trails

22 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I see hardly anything serious to offend anyone.He was promoting Thai tourism that might bring millions of bucks to Thailand and that Wat?

What about the monk who used a woman offering him food to give him a BJ which was caught on Cam last year???????

Didnt seem to get blown out of all proportion though. BTW did they ever catch the blow job bargirl as she could be a welcome addition in the local monkery.

I suppose the RTP are still reinacting the crime.... for the 423rd time now.

Edited by Reigntax
Typo

40 minutes ago, thai006 said:

take him to jail , he should learn something ,  again stupid falang all the time ....

Youre correct another stupid falang. When are they going to learn to sit back, do nothing, sell their kids to the local brothel and pretend the money sent home is from a well paying receptionists job.

On 1/18/2017 at 2:31 PM, Dipterocarp said:

Just ignorance. Probably if a nice Thai person just could say "Here's the problem and why not respect our culture?"  The rider would be very apologetic. 

And yeah I used to be a kid riding skateboards (gnash gnarl grind very destructive even to reinforced concrete) and riding rudely on MTB trails shared by hikers. I grew up

Yeah, makes more sense than making a movie and complaining about the actor. A few words to the offender might help alot, it certainly does if I am doing something out of line.

16 minutes ago, ezrider62 said:

Yeah, makes more sense than making a movie and complaining about the actor. A few words to the offender might help alot, it certainly does if I am doing something out of line.

A movie will reach & educate a lot more people so makes perfect sense to me ...this thread alone has almost 3000 views already.

It beggars belief that falang would need it pointing out to them that it's wrong and insensitive. Any time I enter a temple I always feel like I'm checking that it's ok for me to be there, I'm not sure how someone could ever think it's ok to use a temple as a stunt park....Falangness!

Edited by onthesoi

8 hours ago, onthesoi said:

A movie will reach & educate a lot more people so makes perfect sense to me ...this thread alone has almost 3000 views already.

It beggars belief that falang would need it pointing out to them that it's wrong and insensitive. Any time I enter a temple I always feel like I'm checking that it's ok for me to be there, I'm not sure how someone could ever think it's ok to use a temple as a stunt park....Falangness!

I feel the same way speaking for myself, but some people do need to be told, it does work small miracles.