Building A Wall

cmsally

A quick question for anyone that has been doing building work lately. What is the going cost for building a wall at the moment (ie around property). If anyone has some up to date prices on either labour or labour + materials per metre would be appreciated. I know it depends on type of wall etc etc but a rough guide for an average 2 metre high wall or anything fancier would be a help. It's been a while since I did any "construction projects" and the last project was a roof which is a little difficult to compare to a wall!

Frankly --- You ought to make a decision on what kind of wall you want. Is it a (clay) brickwall? And in that case, what kind of bricks do you have in mind? --- Prices go from about 0.5 baht/brick to 5.0 baht/brick ... similar variation goes for concrete "bricks". In all cases - the "material" you want will determine the overall price much more than the labor to make it.

A quick question for anyone that has been doing building work lately. What is the going cost for building a wall at the moment (ie around property). If anyone has some up to date prices on either labour or labour + materials per metre would be appreciated. I know it depends on type of wall etc etc but a rough guide for an average 2 metre high wall or anything fancier would be a help. It's been a while since I did any "construction projects" and the last project was a roof which is a little difficult to compare to a wall!

A suggestion 'sal' is that you determine (measure) how long the wall is gonna be overall. And how high overall.

Then go to a place that makes / sells concrete blocks and give them the measurements. They should be able to come up with a fairly close estimate as to how many blocks you would need. They should also be able to say how much cement and sand is required. They might also make "precast concrete" posts.

From that they should be able to put a money figure on it.

The local builders would generally knock up a wall in say a week (perhaps two max) couple of guys at xxx baht / day and you're getting close to the overall sum that it would cost.

If you want to proceed you might then get two or three prices. Perhaps you might supply the materials (so that the builder has no margin to add on)

It should not be, all that expensive.

A suggestion 'sal' is that you determine (measure) how long the wall is gonna be overall. And how high overall.

Then go to a place that makes / sells concrete blocks and give them the measurements. They should be able to come up with a fairly close estimate as to how many blocks you would need. They should also be able to say how much cement and sand is required. They might also make "precast concrete" posts.

From that they should be able to put a money figure on it.

The local builders would generally knock up a wall in say a week (perhaps two max) couple of guys at xxx baht / day and you're getting close to the overall sum that it would cost.

If you want to proceed you might then get two or three prices. Perhaps you might supply the materials (so that the builder has no margin to add on)

It should not be, all that expensive.

Try this link "sal" < http://www.coolthaihouse.com/ > it may give you some ideas.

I recall that a few years ago, the price for standard 2 meter wall was in the 700-800B/m range for labor and materials. Upper end very strong could be around 1300. If it is not in a level area or has/will have dirt placed against it, be sure the post foundation is strong. The past rainy season a lot of wall went down.

Edited by mongoose

Thank you for the comments guys! I will try some of the brickshops and get some estimates. The wall in total is around 150-170 metres total (at a guess!). Front bit needs to be about 2 metres high solid . Side and back will be half concrete block with some good posts, probably wire/metal railing in the top half. One side is walled courtesy of neighbour - its a pretty good demonstration of how not to build a wall!

I figure all of my 'grunt' labour at 300 baht per day.

Outside the city, 300 baht per day gets a good concrete/brick man, a guy that can do it all. I have a few guys like that working, supported by men at about 240 and women at 160 so the crew averages around 240-250.

I recall that a few years ago, the price for standard 2 meter wall was in the 700-800B/m range for labor and materials. Upper end very strong could be around 1300. If it is not in a level area or has/will have dirt placed against it, be sure the post foundation is strong. The past rainy season a lot of wall went down.

I paid less about 3 Years ago. Just labor was exactly 300 Baht/m for a 100m wall. All in all the wall of (quite) exactly 100m came 65.000 Baht, labor and material included. The terrain was even a little special and at som parts the wall ist as tall as 3m. The average hight is 2.20m.

The wall seems to be well done until now.

If you're lucky to find skilled workers which charge average, and you buy all of the material by yourself, I bet you can have it done just under 1000baht/m all inclusive. Otherwise as destimated by mongoose, 1200-1400baht/m will be the standard.