90% of Big Buddha Hill cleared of encroachment

Rimmer

90% of Big Buddha Hill cleared of encroachment

1225-N10-PIC1.jpg

PATTAYA:--About 90 percent of illegal structures encroaching on public land on Big Buddha Hill have been removed, Pattaya officials said.

Pattaya was given five rai of Ministry of Defense land from the Royal Thai Navy. After the rights were transferred, Pattaya improved the landscaping but found numerous private ventures had built on part of the land. It ordered all the structures removed Oct. 27.

Among them was the popular Wang Sam Sien Chinese shrine built by the Mahakitpaisan Foundation. Last July, the Supreme Administrative Court upheld a lower court’s verdict against Mahakitpaisan for building the shrine on public land.

Mongkol Mahakitpaisan, president of the Mahakitpaisan Foundation, turned over ownership of the Khao Phra Yai structure to Acting Mayor Chanapong Sriviset Dec. 9, ending a nearly three-year legal battle.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/90-big-buddha-hill-cleared-encroachment-161985

PATTAYA MAIL 2017-01-20

Question:  Clamping down on all of this land encroachment was ignored before by city officials because of bribes or what?   This enforcement of rules is due to the junta officials that have taken over the management of Pattaya City? 

(Glad these cheap cement block or bamboo structures are being removed.)

Oh my goodness.  The article makes it sound like that big Chinese shrine area was a land grab, had squatters etc.  To me that place was one of the jewels of Pattaya and I loved walking around there.  Does this mean they are knocking down or removing all those shrines and structures in there?  There was little pagoda dedicated to Confucius, and many other pretty things

have to say it looks very nice now just the sort of place to visit, do they not know how to clean up the mess or is litter and deb-re part of thai culture

Looks like there is an opening for a good demolition company who know how to clean up afterwards

On 21/01/2017 at 6:08 AM, gk10002000 said:

Does this mean they are knocking down or removing all those shrines and structures in there? 

probably not

Mongkol Mahakitpaisan, president of the Mahakitpaisan Foundation, turned over ownership of the Khao Phra Yai structure to Acting Mayor Chanapong Sriviset Dec. 9, ending a nearly three-year legal battle.

The city originally planned to raze the shrine, but has reversed course and will now manage it directly.

Oh my goodness.  The article makes it sound like that big Chinese shrine area was a land grab, had squatters etc.  To me that place was one of the jewels of Pattaya and I loved walking around there.  Does this mean they are knocking down or removing all those shrines and structures in there?  There was little pagoda dedicated to Confucius, and many other pretty things

It's not about you though.