Tourist Visa declined by French Consulate. What's my best option now ?

Hello,

French national, 29 y/o.

Passport history :

1 entry on visa exemption in 2013

5 entries on Tourist Visa in 2014 / 2015 / 2016, 2 to 3 months per stay including Extensions.

Never did a visa run or such thing.

Today I applied for a Tourist Visa at Thai consulate in France.

They declined because I'm out of Thailand since only 1 month, and they require 3 months out of Thailand.

They used to be more indulgent (see this thread) but said the French-Thai relationship is in bad shape, and Thais urge the France based consulate to be more and more strict.

I plan to stay from 28/01 to 26/04 (89 days), and I mostly stay in Samui.

Considering I can't easily postbone my trip, what would be my best option now ?

I'm aware I can get 30 days on arrival, and extend for 30 more days. And that I should produce a flight ticket out of Thailand within the first 30 days so the airline let's me get on board.

Now I'm wondering what's the most secure way to reach 90 days of stay with minimal risk ?

Like is it a better strategy to try to get a tourist Visa from, say, Malaysia, instead of applying for an extension of stay ?

Or rather use the 30 days on arrival + 30 days extension, then do a border run and get another 30 days on arrival ? would this look supsicious ?

I'm a little bit lost here

Tricky. I would probably risk an out/in by air after 30 days, planning to extend the second visa exempt entry. However, given that you are going to be in Samui, and the airport immigration there can be iffy,  this is not risk free. Safer options, like getting a tourist visa, say in Hong Kong, Vientiane or Penang are quite time consuming and expensive when going from Samui.

Have you tried different consulates in France, such as the one in Lyon (04 7837 1658)? Attitudes/regs might be leaner. For example, the RT Consulate in Cardiff is a pleasure to deal with, while the London embassy is/was horrible. I realise they're being more vigilant all around,  however. Failing that, I'd be tempted with the first option; get your first 30 days in (have a pre-booked ticket to Penang) and either then try a tourist visa there or fly back for another 30 and then extend.

• Like 1

It was in Lyon. Second and only choice is the embassy in Paris, but it seems like the directives flow down from Paris to Lyon so I would expect the same answer.

Flying straight to Penang would not be my favorite option because my flight to Bkk is already booked.

So according to your posts so far I understand I'd better fly out after ~29 days, try to get a visa, and if declined go back with another 30 days (+ 30 days extension). Right ?

Is Penang the most obvious destination ? should I stay 2 or 3 nights there or is it ok to just go in/out ?

12 hours ago, loloal said:

It was in Lyon. Second and only choice is the embassy in Paris, but it seems like the directives flow down from Paris to Lyon so I would expect the same answer.

The Embassy in Paris is more exigent than Lyon or Marseille. A few years ago my visa was denied in Paris (same reason as you: "not enough time between 2 trips") but I got it in Lyon...

15 hours ago, loloal said:

Flying straight to Penang would not be my favorite option because my flight to Bkk is already booked.

So according to your posts so far I understand I'd better fly out after ~29 days, try to get a visa, and if declined go back with another 30 days (+ 30 days extension). Right ?

Is Penang the most obvious destination ? should I stay 2 or 3 nights there or is it ok to just go in/out ?

Unless you have several Tourist Visas from Penang, you should get one there OK.  Your application must be submitted in the morning, and will be returned in the afternoon.  How many nights you stay will depend on how travel-times fit in with that schedule.  I find it more relaxing to stay extra nights, than try to make tight-connections.

• Like 1

Good options given but I would come in on 30 day visa exempt then flyto Vientiane Laos and get a 60 day SETV=single entry tourist visa  which could be extended in Thailand at  immigration for an additional 30 days for 1900 baht. I like visiting Vientiane as you know Laos was a French colony and still has citizens there who speak French and some nice French restaurants.

52 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Good options given but I would come in on 30 day visa exempt then flyto Vientiane Laos and get a 60 day SETV=single entry tourist visa  which could be extended in Thailand at  immigration for an additional 30 days for 1900 baht. I like visiting Vientiane as you know Laos was a French colony and still has citizens there who speak French and some nice French restaurants.

Instead of Vientiane, you could go in Penang, much more easy from Samui.
HD Visa in Samui is pretty well know for organising the trip to penang.
More infos in private if you want.
Beside, Thai consulate in Paris have allways been real pain in the ass to deal with them,

I am french, je suis francais.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2017 at 6:07 AM, loloal said:

OK.  So your flight to BKK is already booked.  Can't you now arrange a flight and simply transit from BKK to Penang and NOT need any Thai visa aprori to do that?  Then in Penang work on your Thai Tourist Visa

On 20.1.2017 at 3:07 PM, loloal said:

correct!  This is the best and most convenient way to do it.  Penang from out of Ko Samui, nearest destination.  Yes and why not stay two nights or three?  It's got a beachlife, too

Edited by crazygreg44

• 1 month later...

I don't understand this "throwaway ticket" mentality.

Why not fly to KL (you've already paid for it) fly or bus to Penang and do your visa there?

People who come in on visa exempt and know they want a longer stay than a 30 day extension locally can surely plan stage 2 ahead?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

I don't understand this "throwaway ticket" mentality.

Why not fly to KL (you've already paid for it) fly or bus to Penang and do your visa there?

People who come in on visa exempt and know they want a longer stay than a 30 day extension locally can surely plan stage 2 ahead?

I agree with you and if a booking is needed to satisfy Etihad or any other airline just book a refundable one and cancel.  A throw away ticket wouldn't have been needed at all,  if the OP would have just rerouted from BK to Vientiane or Penang on arrival from France to pick up a tourist visa and then make his way to Samui.  Would have been less hassle than taking a 39 hour trip to Kota Bahru of all places. 

Edited by kanook
  • Like 1

Speaking of throwaway tickets, FlyOnwards.com may have have been more economical.

I agree that if you bought the onward ticket anyway, you could just pick Penang and actually go get the SETV there.  It would have cost you 2-3 extra days, but likely a lot more comfortable.

• Like 1

There are only three possibilities to get a visa now in all, Paris , Lyon and Monaco which is handy for the south of France. They are all becoming much more strict! I don't know why they are so difficult, apparently, much easier to get a visa in other European countries. Which, if you live in France you cannot do, unless you have an address/ bank there of course. While I was waiting in Monaco, more than a dozen people were refused and sent away to a "try Paris" suggestion. I am,starting to think that it would be much easier to fly into Cambodia/Laos/Penang to get a SETV ,and fly back home from Bangkok, using an extension to get to 90 days. Any  Thoughts? 

The reason the Thai Embassy and Consulates are being strict is because now the French Embassy in thailand will not issue a new tourist Visa to a Thai citizen who has been in France for 90 days prior. They are demanding a 90 day break before they will issue a new Tourist Visa. I know this because my Thai step dau is engaged to a frenchman and just had her application declined and this was the reason given. Instead, he is flying to Bangkok and they will be married and she will go to France on a long stay Visa.

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe this is the reason, as some sort of notice would have to be put up to inform tourists. So it's not a written rule, or otherwise everyone in the same case would be refused a visa.Has anyone seen this new rule yet, as friends of mine had no problem coming back a few weeks ago ? 

8 minutes ago, geisha said:

I find it hard to believe this is the reason, as some sort of notice would have to be put up to inform tourists. So it's not a written rule, or otherwise everyone in the same case would be refused a visa.Has anyone seen this new rule yet, as friends of mine had no problem coming back a few weeks ago ? 

They can and do change the interpretation of the rules over night. If all these consulates and Embassy's stuck rigidly to the written rules, trust me, you wouldn't like it.

Eventually entered with a 30 days permission of stay.

Emirates asked me to produce a flight out of Thailand within 30 days before boarding in Lyon, which I did (cheap air Asia ticket Don Muang - Kuala Lumpur)

Immigration officer at suvarnabhumi didn't ask for such ticket.

At the exact 30th day I went to Kotha Baru (Malaysia) with HD Visa agency to get a Tourist Visa.

Everything went smoothly, I'm on the way back now, visa in the pocket. Total trip duration is 39h (van, boat, hotel).

Didn't have to go to the consulate myself, everything is taken care of by Herbert.

My flight back to France is in exactly 59 days so I won't need to request an extension of stay.

Note that the consulate in KB requires a flight ticket out of Thailand within the next 60 days IF you already had TWO OR MORE Tourist Visas (according to Herbert)

Note that the van drivers drive really fast which might not suit everybody. If I have to do it again I might rather go with a slower agency.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The way you did it, is the correct way. Use a visa agency and do a visa run by van.

Do not listen to others telling you to fly to Laos/Cambodia/Malaysia etc for a tourist visa. Yes you will get a tourist visa in these countries, but what people don't realise, this does not guarantee you re-entry when flying back into Thailand. Far too many people have been refused entry at immigration & told to fly straight back out of Thailand from where they've came from or face being detained.

Book a visa run with a Thai visa company and you can relax in the knowledge that your return across the border is guaranteed!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

LammyTS1, are you saying that even with a valid visa in your passport and no other  problems ( overstays, multiple visa runs) , you can be refused entry into Thailand ? 

Can anyone else here confirm this ? 

40 minutes ago, geisha said:

LammyTS1, are you saying that even with a valid visa in your passport and no other  problems ( overstays, multiple visa runs) , you can be refused entry into Thailand ? 

Can anyone else here confirm this ? 

It can happen, both according to regulations and improperly. According to regulations, there are various conditions under Section 12 of the 1979 Immigration Act where an official can deny you entry. (Read about them here.) If entering by land, you may also encounter an official who just tells you to get lost without following proper procedures. In practice, should this happen, there is little you can do about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It can happen, both according to regulations and improperly. According to regulations, there are various conditions under Section 12 of the 1979 Immigration Act where an official can deny you entry. (Read about them here.) If entering by land, you may also encounter an official who just tells you to get lost without following proper procedures. In practice, should this happen, there is little you can do about it.

Condition Number 8 is the one :smile: