Windows 10 Help

elektrified

Anyone familiar with windows 10? I have a fairly new computer and a legal windows 10 os only about 4 months old. Never had a single problem with it. Today i turned on the computer and Windows wont load. Tried more than 10 times now. Mostly i get a black screen; sometimes it gets a little past the black screen and freezes. Sometimes i can get a menu of options and i've tried start up repair which fails. I'm attaching some photos. Maybe someone has a clue? Thanks!

20170121_172557.jpg

20170121_173053.jpg

20170121_173130.jpg

20170121_173146.jpg

20170121_172642.jpg

20170121_173038.jpg

Is Win10 installed on a SSD or HDD?

I have seen a failing SSD exhibit weird symptoms very similar to your description.

Hopefully Chicog's suggestion of booting into safe mode will work. If it doesn't, and you have a spare drive, try a clean install.

44 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Is Win10 installed on a SSD or HDD?

I have seen a failing SSD exhibit weird symptoms very similar to your description.

Hopefully Chicog's suggestion of booting into safe mode will work. If it doesn't, and you have a spare drive, try a clean install.

Excellent question. 

It's not actually a very weird symptom; that's why jam jar was easily able to find a couple of links on the subject.

Windows has always struggled with drivers.

Mind you, I notice they are trying to eliminate the Blue Screen of Death.

By changing it to Green.

:blink:

Edited by Chicog

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try to get in to safe mode and see how it goes. The drive is standard HDD not a SSD. The links are good, thanks a lot. But i'm dealing with a little different situation, not complete black screen but incomplete loading of windows.

This is not expert advise but easy to do so would make sure everything attached to computer is pulled off and let it find after Windows loads one at a time.  If unable to load at all understand will have to attach keyboard to get into safe mode but try to avoid any wifi device until into windows (from someone with inability to do cumulative updates due wireless mouse).  

33 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Making some progress. Can access safe mode but not safe mode with networking.

If it doesn't lock up in Safe Mode then that's strongly hinting that it's a driver issue, since one of things safe mode does is load (funnily enough) "safe", generic Microsoft drivers, especially for the video card.

So for your next trick, tell us the make and model of the laptop.

24 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

This is not expert advise but easy to do so would make sure everything attached to computer is pulled off and let it find after Windows loads one at a time.  If unable to load at all understand will have to attach keyboard to get into safe mode but try to avoid any wifi device until into windows (from someone with inability to do cumulative updates due wireless mouse).  

You can't do Windows Updates because of a wireless mouse? How so?

I am doing the updates but problem is Logtech M325 has USB receiver that, on my computer have discovered, must be removed to get beyond spinning stars on black screen after restarting.  Has been doing this for about 4 months on each monthly update and after repeated attempts/emergency power down would eventually work or get restore option to work.  This month removed mouse and booted OK.  Seems to be a common issue as others have reported it with wireless attachments in general and especially mouse and unless new driver available pulling is the option.

Edited by lopburi3

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I am doing the updates but problem is Logtech M325 has USB receiver that, on my computer have discovered, must be removed to get beyond spinning stars on black screen after restarting.  Has been doing this for about 4 months on each monthly update and after repeated attempts/emergency power down would eventually work or get restore option to work.  This month removed mouse and booted OK.  Seems to be a common issue as others have reported it with wireless attachments in general and especially mouse and unless new driver available pulling is the option.

Perhaps try using Driver Booster while your wireless mouse is plugged in to see if there is any driver more suited to it.

Thanks - not sure if the mouse or system wireless driver but was outdated along with graphics and human interface.  Had run a program last year before upgrade to Windows10 and had made all they found but perhaps a different program.  Human interface (7 years old) needed loading in 16 places so total updates was 18.  Will see what happens. 

With the help of a friend who got me through a few steps, I was able to initiate a system restore in safe mode. The system restore would not complete because the error message stated that the antivirus software was protecting the restore file and it could not be accessed. However, just attempting to do a system restore forced it to load Windows. After Windows loaded, I notice a series of critical errors on my AV program (ESET NOD32) and am beginning to suspect the AV software may be the culprit. Does anyone else use this AV program? It seems to be an excellent program and I don't know for sure if that's the problem. I also have Malware bytes. Both programs seem to load before Windows. Any thoughts?

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

Google ESET NOD32 if you can and its an antivirus programme,go into add/remove programmes and delete it.........should be simple but sometimes not so,if this is the case Google again how to remove Esetnod32 from my pc.:thumbsup: