Is this Thai? Can it be translated?

bll140

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me if this section of an antique manuscript is in Thai, and if so can it be translated? I have acquired an antique folding book (Likely Legend of Phra Malai) and have been researching it for a bit now. Today I noticed that this one page the language is different and it looks like Thai to me; an untrained eye. The rest of the book is in another script... 

It would be amazing if I could have this section translated if Thai..

Thank you in advance...

Bob

IMG_20170122_095959374_1.jpgIMG_20161115_181451994.jpg

Edited by bll140

Yes I agree.

My niece has just replied that it is very old language and she doesn't understand many words.

I'm sorry I got your hopes up, but SLB post is probably more like it.

Maybe you can post the translation here if you get it from an outside source.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

From my neice: First three lines but not every word.

Thai year 2445. Year of the rabbit
Written on June . Fifth day of new moon
My name is Son tho Phromthang
Sorry, that's all I can try.

If you like Bill will print out and ask someone at AUA .
Tukxx

I can not begin to explain how happy I am to  now have some translation.. not only some translation, but date author/ artist ...

AMAZING ... I THANK YOU NEICE OF CARLYAI

Please any more translation of the Thai section would be appreciated beyond words..

Thank you.....

Bob 

I can not begin to explain how happy I am to  now have some translation.. not only some translation, but date author/ artist ...

AMAZING ... I THANK YOU NEICE OF CARLYAI

Please any more translation of the Thai section would be appreciated beyond words..

Thank you.....

Bob 

Will try Bill and AUA. (American University Alumni - they have knowledable Thai teachers).

22 hours ago, bll140 said:

Thank you so much.. It is quite the mystery for me.. just finding out what this section says would be amazing..

I look forward to any help...

Again, thank you

Bob

Yes, it was antique definitely. The date mentioned since year 1902 (Thai year 2445 ) or 115 years ago.  Just one page, it liked Thai Buddha Bible.  

Thought I would join the fun while we are still waiting for the answer from Bill and the AUA expert.

My guess is that this excerpt is from the end section of the book or chapter.  And it expressed something to this effect.

The authors (look like there were 2 guys) must have been copying the manuscript of the legend in ขอม ( foreign language).  And then wrote additional note in Thai, starting with the date this was copied (which carlyai's niece translated.).  Then .noting that this is the end of the (Malai) story,  they stated their names and made their intention (request) known :  As long as they're still traveling around (=living?), may they not harbor bad thoughts or commit any sins.  But that they would stay true to Buddha.

Sorry, I can't do word- by-word translation. The spelling is different from modern Thai, and the handwriting, while neat, is ambiguous in some places.  So just a guess to tie us all over until the real thing comes in.

As a little off topic aside...I'm staying with the son and grandkids in Bangkok at the moment, and yesterday, helping the kids with their homework, English language 'old' was given as an example in Thai language as 'เก่า'.

I thought this was wrong, the Thais agreed, but when I looked it up in a dictionary, the spelling was the same เก่า.

Any explanations?

It depends on the context.  

เก่า means "old" as in "old English", "old times", "oldies"

แก่ is another common translation as meaning "advanced in age". As in "an old man and the sea",  "an old dog", or even "mature fruit"

Interestingly, a common word you will see is "เก่าแก่"   This usually mean something that has been there a very long time: long-time resident, or a business which has been opened decades ago.

เก่าแก่ is another example of a common Thai practice of pairing two very similar words to emphasize the meaning, or to slightly change the meaning, or sometimes just for fun.

ok, I digress.  Old habit dies hard (old =เก่า here.)

Edited by BayLay
Fixing typo

Ok thanks.

The homework was for Prathom 2 and in the worksheet the student had to ' say old......o....l.....d, then the Thai English equivelant 'old' then in Thai. So shouldn't the one in Thai be starting with sara air or แก่? Sorry for any wrong spelling.

I continue to be amazed how the interpretation can vary with the Thai language over such a short time (115 years)..

I will say this is extremely exciting and I hope that finally the whole message is uncovered, what mystery .. Maybe some important information for Thai history?

Great

Bob

13 minutes ago, bll140 said:

I continue to be amazed how the interpretation can vary with the Thai language over such a short time (115 years)..

I will say this is extremely exciting and I hope that finally the whole message is uncovered, what mystery .. Maybe some important information for Thai history?

Great

Bob

From times to times, Thai language changed its words, sentences and meaning.

Same as another countries, the sentences and meanings in the past century, people at present times can not understand it exactly.

Need Thai Archeologist or Thai Historian to help you for this 115 year antique.

23 hours ago, carlyai said:

Ok thanks.

The homework was for Prathom 2 and in the worksheet the student had to ' say old......o....l.....d, then the Thai English equivelant 'old' then in Thai. So shouldn't the one in Thai be starting with sara air or แก่? Sorry for any wrong spelling.

Both are correct translation.  Both Thai words (แก่ &เก่า) have similar meaning.  And both can be a direct translation of the word "old".  This textbook just uses one of the meanings.

1.  แก่ (with "sara AIR") usually means "old age" or "mature" -- often used when referring to living things like people, animal, or even trees and fruits.

2.   เก่า (with "sara AW") usually means "old with time" or "ancient ". --often used in reference to inorganic things like building, cars, music, art, etc.

hope this makes sense and I didn't just confused you further.  Language is a funny thing.  And the samples I listed out are just general samples.  There are a lot of exceptions everywhere.

Translated to the current Thai language.

"พระพุทธศักราชล่วงได้ 2445 ปีเถาะ คิมหันตฤดู เดือน 6 ขึ้น 5 ค่ำเป็นวันเขียนจบพระมาไลย์สูตร

ข้าพเจ้านายสร โต พร้อมแดง พร้อมใจกันกันสร้างพระมาไลย์ไว้ให้พระพุทธศาสนา ถ้าข้าพเจ้ายังท่องเที่ยวอยู่ กราบไดขอให้ข้าพเจ้าเนื่อยน่ายในการอกุศลกรรมอันหยาบช้า อันลามกแล้ว ขอให้ข้าพเจ้าทันศาสนาพระศรีอาริยเมกไตรบรมโพธิสัตว์เทอญ"

First paragraph is stated the finished date of Phra Malai in Lunar calendar. 

Second paragraph is honored to the Buddhist.

Both are correct translation.  Both Thai words (แก่ &เก่า) have similar meaning.  And both can be a direct translation of the word "old".  This textbook just uses one of the meanings.

1.  แก่ (with "sara AIR") usually means "old age" or "mature" -- often used when referring to living things like people, animal, or even trees and fruits.

2.   เก่า (with "sara AW") usually means "old with time" or "ancient ". --often used in reference to inorganic things like building, cars, music, art, etc.

hope this makes sense and I didn't just confused you further.  Language is a funny thing.  And the samples I listed out are just general samples.  There are a lot of exceptions everywhere.

Ok, thank you.

In spoken Thai ( after all, this really was a speaking exercise ), wouldn't the working Thai (tradesmen, labourers ) use แก่?

Ok thanks.

I don't understand, I would like to because my current You Tube viewing is ป2 lessons. mainly to learn how the teachers put things but also for the content. I wonder if the lesson you refer to is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I don't understand, I would like to because my current You Tube viewing is ป2 lessons. mainly to learn how the teachers put things but also for the content. I wonder if the lesson you refer to is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not sure of what you mean, but the worksheet was a photocopied one with 4 columns.

column 1: old (student says out loud "o...l..
d").

column 2: "old" written in ThaI script.

column 3: the Thai equivalent of "old" written in Thai.

column 4: a space for the word 'old' to be written in English.

In column 3 the teacher had written "เก่า".

I think it should have been the 'sara air' version of old.

That seems to be the way my working class friends say 'old'.