Power meter - buy here or overseas?

CanInBKK

So the next step in my cycling journey, I've decided, will be to get a power meter.  I've seen pedal based, crank based and hub based on the Internet but would like to stay away from pedal based (as I currently don't use clipless pedals but that's another discussion entirely).  I've tried sourcing the Powertap G3 hub here but the  only place seems to sell them but at approx 50,000 Baht (for just the hub)!!

Given the US price tag is $599, I'm seriously considering buying there and bringing back just the hub and having a local shop install it (possibly for a fee).

Does anyone have experience with buying power meters in Thailand or is the price differential so great that it's worth the hassle of bringing one back and finding a local installer?

If you're looking for a crank based PM, then Stages and 4iiii are around the same price locally as overseas, Quarq around 10-15% more expensive.

I would source locally if you can, but forget powertap, the local distributor isn't very good (as you've found just on the pricing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, moonoi said:

If you're looking for a crank based PM, then Stages and 4iiii are around the same price locally as overseas, Quarq around 10-15% more expensive.

I would source locally if you can, but forget powertap, the local distributor isn't very good (as you've found just on the pricing)

Thanks for the heads up on 4iiii, I wasn't even looking at them at first. It seems like they've got a local dealer which is great and I got all excited, then reading up more I found you need to have either a 105, adulterated or DA crank to use it. Unfortunately I don't so now I have to factor in a new crankset into the price as well.....but may still be worth it!!!

If you are looking at needing a new crank as well, then the cheapest option is probably Rotor Inpower, if it fits yours bike. It's around 32k for the PM and 3D+ crank arms/spider. Just add chain rings on top, or use your existing ones if they're compatible.

On January 24, 2017 at 10:34 AM, moonoi said:

If you are looking at needing a new crank as well, then the cheapest option is probably Rotor Inpower, if it fits yours bike. It's around 32k for the PM and 3D+ crank arms/spider. Just add chain rings on top, or use your existing ones if they're compatible.

Thanks for bring Rotor into my scope of awareness. I'll seriously look into this option as is is probably the most straightforward as well.

• 2 weeks later...

First a big thanks to moonoi for pointing out 4iiii and Rotor.

After talking to the shops/dealers I finally went with 4iiii and bought a new crank. Ended up being less expensive than Rotor but my other key concern was portability if I ever buy a new bike (with so many bottom bracket variations the Rotor BB where the PM is contained might not be portable)

Now time to go for a ride and break it in!

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2017 at 6:12 PM, moonoi said:

This is good news. Where are Stages available from? I'm assuming you can order them online. Do you know the ballpark Thai price for a 105 stages crank?

This is good news. Where are Stages available from? I'm assuming you can order them online. Do you know the ballpark Thai price for a 105 stages crank?

I can do better, I can show the actual price and where to get it from ;)

db7d491046985c9e216a5fe507f9eb06.jpg