Dropbox security on laptops

finy

Always found it strange that if someone got access to your folder on computer they could wipe your files if it was synced to internet.

then I read Dropbox Store deleted files for 30 days.

but if you're synced can someone not access your Dropbox account in web browser and delete your recycling bin immediately?

So is the only real way to protect your files to unsync/log out from Dropbox on your computer every time you're not using it?

Your Dropbox (or other online storage) should only ever contain files that you also have copies of elsewhere.

If someone steals your laptop, the first thing you should do is change all your passwords for things like email and online storage where the password may be permanently stored in the machine. Changing online banking passwords is somewhat less urgent as these are not normally stored on the laptop. If you have foolishly stored them in clear on the laptop then of course you should change them instantly, and advise your bank that your account may be compromised.

Anyone at all concerned about this should install whole drive encryption such as Veracrypt or Bitlocker, and remember to power down the laptop whenever they leave it. It would take a thief a long time to break whole drive encryption (if they even bother to try) and so this should allow enough time for the owner to change all his passwords and generally sort himself out.

Dropbox is a very poor choice as a primary backup solution.  These online storage/sync platforms primary purpose is to share/sync files between your devices and the online storage space ...giving you potentially quick access to creating/editing/viewing most recent version of those files.

A backup, on the other hand, is usually multiple copies, in multiple varied locations, possibly with version retention ...all to maintain maximum redundancy vs cost and time.  

If you want to "protect your files" I wouldn't trust that process to a single simple cloud sync process. 

59 minutes ago, finy said:

Nice one.

I use LaspPass for passwords, so they're not a big problem.

just files in Dropbox I can't afford to lose.

Until LastPass gets hacked again....

I would suggest you encrypt your hard disk as suggested above, disable DropBox Sync, and just use it to store encrypted copies of backups (or copies of encrypted backups).

Thanks, I'll do the encryption thing.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cloud service other than Dropbox?

i can't remember the name, but there is one that makes a copy of your entire system every X hours when connected to internet.

I think it's different to Dropbox.

i wonder how big businesses do it with backups for important files.

1 minute ago, finy said:

Thanks, I'll do the encryption thing.

i can't remember the name, but there is one that makes a copy of your entire system every X hours when connected to internet.

I think it's different to Dropbox.

i wonder how big businesses do it with backups for important files.

Well there's Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Box and a whole host of others; just google for "Cloud Storage and backup".

But the encryption adds a layer of complexity, so maybe google "Cloud Backup Sync Encrypted" or similar.

16 minutes ago, finy said:

There are several online companies that purport to do this, like Backblaze, CrashPlan, Carbonite ...etc, etc.

25 Online Backup Services Reviewed
Reviews of the Best Online Backup Services

LifeWire  |  by Tim Fisher  |  Updated January 03, 2017

• 1 month later...

Another option is to use Dropbox 2 factor authentication. Disconnect your Dropbox sync and use online only. You then use a phone app to generate a code. You will also receive 10 codes you can print/stash somewhere should you not have access to the app.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C100PA using Tapatalk