Why Do I Always Get A 'crotch Rash'?

pumper

• 5 weeks later...

Without reading the advice already given, I am going to weigh in.

Yes it is very humid in LOS and that probably contributes to the problem.

I would suggest, that after showering and drying, you use some powder to help you stay dry afterwards. "ZEASORB" is superior to the old standbys and is available over the counter in Thailand.

Better yet would be "ZEASORB AF" (presumably stands for "anti fungal" as it contains miconazole), and I am guessing you can get that easily in Thailand, though I have not bought it there myself. Of course the idea is the anit-fungal will help with the tinea cruris.

Zeasorb was recommended to me by a colleague who is a dermatologist, it is supposed to absorb more moisture than other powders, and it also contains a couple of ingredients that reduce sweating.

Hope this helps.

:o

Just to add my two cents to the discussion.... :o

I sometimes have gotten a variety of the fungus being discussed which is called Tinea Versicolor on my arms and my back. I kept getting recurrences until I was advised to apply the Travogen cream prescribed for two weeks after symptoms had dissapeared. That seemed to kill it pretty well and it hasn't recurred in a while. I do get stubborn cases of athlete's foot though which sometimes require antifungal tablets in addition to the Lamisil or Tinactin spray that I use. I get Fungazol tablets from a pharmacy in Pratuu Naam. I think that it is important to isolate whether crotch rashes are caused by imporper rinsing of underwear or by a fungal infection. The treatment for each would be somewhat different. If rinsing underwear after it returns from the laundry doesn't cure the problem, then it's probably a fungus. I don't know how somebody who sweats a lot in Bangkok could keep dry but if there's no chafing from clothing, and no allergic reaction, a fungus seems the likely problem.

Travogen and Fungazol are both available at pharmacies all over Bangkok. :D

Being a northern farang I sweat extensively in LOS.

I change cloths / shower several times per day.

2 large laundry bags per week .. way more 'dirty cloths' than at home.

but, always get a 'crotch rash' from hel_l .. 'always' get a rash within 10 days of landing in Bangkok

this past trip it was a serious rash .. painful & scarlet red from 1/2 up my bum to down my legs!

antibiotic creams & cortisone creams multi times per day for the last 4 weeks of my stay & for another 10 days after returning home .. cleared up 10 days after my cloths returned to my hot water washing machine & Tide + my 'Dial antibiotic (?) liquid bath soap'

my rash 'stung' with soap & the medical creams!

I was 'taken apart' by US customs .. thank goodness I had legit prescriptions for the antibiotic creams & cortisone ...

could it be the laundries do not use hot water?

could it be the laundries use little (/ save on) soap?

.. rely on hand wash abrasion for cleaning? ... my shirts are noticeable 'worn' after a few Thai washings?

drying in the 'humid' air instead of heated drying?

or is hotel soap is for fragrance not cleaning?

in the future I will bring my bath soap with me.

no way I could get the laundry to use more soap .. even if I supplied :o

I'd agree with the methylated spirits tip or the canesten cream. The first dries out the area which will stop itch, its also good for tinnea. The second is cheap and easily available. Three more suggestions. If you're a bit overweight the rubbing of your inner thighs will exacerbate the problem. Second = wear the boxer shorts to let the air circulate, or none at all.

Third - consider some diet changes - like less beer, red meat, and more vegetarian/ fruit - it really makes a difference.

cheers, Tim

I used to get a lil nappy rash and sometimes more. It sounds like you are just one of those people who needs to stay out the kitchen when it is hot! A little Savlon Antiseptic Cream always got rid of it for me, remember a little not alot.... Canesten Hydrocotisine is good as well, the black tube with 5% something or other in...

Goodluck and try and keep a fan pointed up your shorts on your lil fella! :o

Edited by lopburiguy

During my Army days I spent a lot of time in the field in Panama and the backwoods of North Carolina and Georgia. I would have problems with prickly heat, jock rash and the dreaded "monkey butt." I found the best preventive cure to be "freeballing" (no underwear) and liberal powdering with corn starch!! Once you have it, you can't beat Army issue Anti-fungal foot powder...a little burn will do you good! :o

Stay Clean

Stay Dry (as possible)

Stay powdered

The key is to try to keep dry so switching to boxers would be a good first step or as one poster mentioned none at all.a doctor told me the best thing was not to use any creams or powders but several times a day to drop your pants and let the crotch area dry out throughly. Different things work for different people but this worked for me.

Case in point: Boxer shorts give me jock itch. It seems the moisture remains longer than with snug cotton briefs. I think it's the wicking properties of cotton briefs which more quickly wick away the moisture from the groin area that leaves me more comfortable.

As to material: I had three briefs made from 100% man-made fabric I brought with me from the States. Agony. One afternoon of wearing those in Thailand made me feel like I was swimming in my shorts. Maybe that's more than you needed to know.

• 1 year later...

I used to use PHOEBUS cream years ago and it worked great. Now I have jock itch and cannot find PHOEBUS anywhere in the Thai pharmacies :o Any suggestions?

I did find something called Dermaheu - anyone know if that has similar ingredients to PHOEBUS? I find that the Western-made antifungals don't work well for me (like Lamasil, etc.).

I got a dose the first time I was in India. All I had to relieve the itch was some greasy Indian highly perfumed hair oil so I smeared that on, I have no idea what was in it but it did the trick!!

Thank gawd, thought it was just me.

For the nappy rash caused by friction and sweat whilst working outside, I have found zinc and castor oil cream a miracle cure. For the fungal type stuff, I am most grateful for this thread.

As Sheryl said using steroid creams are a very bad idea. It is like putting gasoline on a fire. I know from personal experience. Like the other veterans here I have had the misery of jock itch (Tinea Corpus)

Here is a comprehensive list of steroid creams to avoid, some of them were recommended by other posters, please avoid.

Villa Market Soi 33 carries Dial soap. That's where I buy it for myself. It is imported from the US so it runs around 120baht for 3 bars of soap, but if your skin is sensitive to the chemicals in many soaps, as it is with me, it is worth the price.

Keep it dry, clean, use a fungal cream or spray, and if it does not improve see a doctor.

Being a northern farang I sweat extensively in LOS.

I change cloths / shower several times per day.

2 large laundry bags per week .. way more 'dirty cloths' than at home.

but, always get a 'crotch rash' from hel_l .. 'always' get a rash within 10 days of landing in Bangkok

this past trip it was a serious rash .. painful & scarlet red from 1/2 up my bum to down my legs!

antibiotic creams & cortisone creams multi times per day for the last 4 weeks of my stay & for another 10 days after returning home .. cleared up 10 days after my cloths returned to my hot water washing machine & Tide + my 'Dial antibiotic (?) liquid bath soap'

my rash 'stung' with soap & the medical creams!

I was 'taken apart' by US customs .. thank goodness I had legit prescriptions for the antibiotic creams & cortisone ...

could it be the laundries do not use hot water?

could it be the laundries use little (/ save on) soap?

.. rely on hand wash abrasion for cleaning? ... my shirts are noticeable 'worn' after a few Thai washings?

drying in the 'humid' air instead of heated drying?

or is hotel soap is for fragrance not cleaning?

in the future I will bring my bath soap with me.

no way I could get the laundry to use more soap .. even if I supplied :o

dont use scented soap or shower gel ,wash underware with baby wash ,use baby powder on your body

One of the first things that i buy when i hit thailand is a couple of rolls of paper kitchen towel that i use to dry my crotch after every shower,

use with a non perfume powder its the one thing that seems to keep me rash free.

Just drying with the hotel supplied towel [that often do not seem that clean]just do not get me dry enough.

Use religiously and between the toes does the job

and its drug free :o

hi there ,

when i come from aus to thai the humidity is what starts the fungle rash even worse if you exersize , but the cure for me is metholated spirits its cheap just splash it on and you will forget about your rash.

I alway thought you drink that stuff :o

Go commando. Warning however: You will need to change your pants regularly or else you will get eau de buttcrack, which could affect your social life.

Second, dry thoroughly but pat down the infected areas instead of rubbing the towel on it so that you don't open up any lesions.

Third, liberally use talcum powder.

Fourth, watch your diet and drink more water (always a good rule of thumb in the tropics) because water will dilute some of the salt from your sweat (it is the salt and acid from your sweat this is part of the problem).

Good luck. When you get a chance, send another post and let us know how you are doing and what worked for you.

Do you briefs or boxer shorts? Wearing briefs while exercising doesn't allow air to flow down there and the sweat stays trapped and can easily cause a rash. Switching to boxer shorts is enough for a lot of guys to stay dry enough to prevent a rash.

Opposite for me. One day of boxer shorts breaks me out in jock itch in half a day.

The moisture just stays there and breeds bacteria. However, switching to COTTON briefs did the trick. (Any other material--particularly man-made fibers--are worse.) The cotton is very absorbent, and wicks AWAY the moisture from your skin.

Goes to show everyone's different. So try a change either way, it might do it for you.

Additionally: powder your balls regularly; suggest a baby powder with no perfumes. The "prickly heat" type powders with their perfumes and scents seem to worsen the problem, in my case. Johnson's Baby Powder (plain-Jane standard) seems to work best for me.

Lastly: One or two night's application of simple/cheap iodine on the affected surface always clears up my jock itch. Yes, a bit of a sting initially, but seems to do the trick (thanks, ThaiVisa, for the info. a few years back).

• 1 year later...

Like many foreigners, I got crotch fungus in my groin area after being in Thailand for a while. After trying coritozone cream, dandruff shampoo, Aspedo soap, tea tree fungal gel, apple cider vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide, I tried SudoCrem. SudoCrem is a zinc oxide cream, like Nappy Diaper Rash Cream. It worked like a charm !!! Two days and the red areas were gone !!! The fungus started to peel off like peeled sunburned skin. I was very surprised that the Tea Tree anti-fungal gel did not work as I am a big believer in Tea Tree oil and natural remedies. The cortizone creams have caused problems in the liver and kidneys. There have been many court cases against Lamisil in the USA.

The logic with the SudoCrem is the high content of Zinc Oxide. It starves the fungus of moisture and air. Without these two, fungi and viruses cannot grow. They die off and die off quickly. I was amazed at how fast it worked after being frustrated for so long and with so many products. The Tea Tree Oil gel said to apply the gel for three weeks after the fungus goes away. I think that is smart even though it was not apparently effective. I guess this is why these fungus conditions come back again and again. They were only put in to remission and never truly killed.

Use the Zinc Oxide cream and do not put your kidneys and liver at risk with these dangerous creams that do not really work anyway.

Topical cortisone creams are not going to damage your health unless you use them in a very concentrated form for a long time. But, as posted above, they don't help a fungal infection and probably even make it worse. Zinc oxide soothes some skin maladies but it has no proven antifungal or antiviral effect. Antibacterial and antibiotic remedies have no effect on a fungus and may even exacerbate it. The way your underwear has been washed is also probably not a big factor.

What the OP describes is most probably a fungal infection which recurs in the tropical climate The best thing would be to go see a doctor, who will probably prescribe stronger or more-targetted antifungal drugs than you can buy over the counter and tell you to keep the area clean and dry. If you still want to try to self-medicate, then stick to antifungal creams like the canesten mentioned above or any product containing Clotrimazol. These have to be used for a week or two after the infection seems to have improved. They come in various sprays and powders. But the best thing is to see a doctor.

a doctor told me the best thing was not to use any creams or powders but several times a day to drop your pants and let the crotch area dry out throughly.

I know this is an old post... but just wondering how the women in the supermarket reacted when you did that :)

Nothing to add, I have been fighting this sort of thing for a long time because I wear thick denim jeans or thick cotton trousers... We have buckets of nappy rash cream around the house (last of 3 babies just turned 1) so I'll give that a try...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Like the original poster way back when, I had this as a recurring problem when in Thailand. Yup, just plain old jock itch. This year, when I finally moved here I found something that works perfectly...if you have access to a chlorinated swimming pool. Take a swim a couple of times a week. That's all it takes.