While True Corporation continued to boast about their fantastic service at a news conference the reality on the ground was somewhat different

webfact

While True Corporation continued to boast about their fantastic service at a news conference the reality on the ground was somewhat different

51p.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Executives of the massive corporation were all smiles yesterday as they spoke of their brilliant packages, superb and ever increasing internet speeds, fantastic market share and huge profits.

But meanwhile Bangkok users were still suffering from no internet at all. TV screens were blank. And people were considering dumping the company if only they could find something better.

No mention was made at yesterday's press conference about the company's TV arm ripping off consumers over promises to air HBO movies. Or the five million baht fine imposed on them by the telecommunications commission for breach of contract. Or what measures the company intends to make to rectify the situation and reimburse consumers properly.

Instead True's deputy head of commerce Suphakit Watthanadit was all smiles and thumbs up for the cameras as the company announced their latest online packages.

The beaming executive said they now had a 38% market share in broadband and were bringing in the fastest upload speeds to the

country.

They now had 2.7 million broadband users after investing 3.3 billion baht between 2014 and 2016. He boasted about being number one in Thailand outstripping the growth in the market with their own fantastic performance. It was all reported by Daily News.

But in northern Bangkok at least the situation was not so rosy.

A Thai visa reporter who wished to remain anonymous told us: "True can bang on all they like. But the reality is somewhat different.

"I work from home and the internet has been down for about six days in the last two weeks.

"This is downtown Bangkok - not the boondocks. They talk about their great service then don't provide it. But they take your money alright.

"Sure they send out SMS's to say that the service is down. Great - but then it happens again. And again.

"I am waiting for the letter that says I don't have to say for the service that I have not received this month. Dream on - any complaints to their customer service department are just met with tumbleweed and false promises.

"The only policy they seem to rigidly stick to is to cut you off if you don't pay.

"They are just like a monopoly in some areas and its all very well to try to change providers but to what?

"I changed to their TV service after the debacle of CTH left me without TV.

"But now their poor service is almost as outrageous as that company".

While the internet is down the reporter said that he could not use his TV and was forced to set up a tethered hotspot for online work which meant spending more money using up monthly data usage on a phone.

True came in for a lot of criticism this week for telling customers they would no longer receive HBO channels. The NBTC fined them 5 million baht and promised to come up with solution for disgruntled consumers many of whom said their contracts had been broken.

Many Thai visa forum members complained about the company yesterday when news broke about the movie channels. Many suggested a boycott of the company while others complained about monopolies.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-25

30 minutes ago, 1Gringo said:

who says monopolies are a good thing?

only the owners of the monopolies, of course.

They are a bad thing if unstructured as a monopoly.  True is just an over entitled Thai company that can do pretty much what it wants.  They can oversell bandwidth, give lousy service and still demand people pay them.  It sounds like a lot of big Thai Businesses. 

I used True when I first came to Thailand about 10 years ago. They were awful to deal with, the service seemed to be down as often as it was up….and they were really expensive. After about a year I ditched them and used TOT for DSL internet that was very good, and local cable for TV…savings were about 1500 baht a month for better service.

I pass their store quite often and it is always full of bored looking people waiting in line to explain their grievances to uninformed staff. The had a franchise for a while (I don't know if it is still in place) where you could buy an iPhone from them. I went in and asked about it, but rapidly came to the conclusion that the salesperson know very little about the products he was selling or the technology behind them….I bought my smartphone on the internet instead. I honestly don;t know how they manage to stay in business.

We also need a law, here and elsewhere that makes them liable for stoppages of service. If your internet is down 6 days in 30, then your bill should be reduced by 20%….this will give them and incentive to fix it promptly.

That's strange, I have had TRUE fiber for a year now (not living in BKK) and the service has been excellent. Never any down time and all TV channels (family package I think). I never use the TV but family does, I get all my shows and movies from the net.

And on the occasion I have had to contact their shop the staff has always been very well informed, knowledgeable and helpful.

Edited by AlQaholic

I ditched True Internet few months back and using AIS Fiber because they offered me 50% off for the first 6 months.

I had a few downtime with AIS Fiber so I guess it doesnt matter who is the provider here.

If they could not fix your internet within 24 hrs, you have every right not to pay montly bill..

I have had no problem with 3bb. I cut the cable TV and watch Netflix and youtube and NHL.

Glad to get rid of the crazy thai soaps..

Just a bunch of noise with them girls fighting all the time. Sounds like a bunch of chickens squawking.   Anything else I want I can get on the Internet.

I had true visions gold package 1650 b a month a few years ago for 3.5 years. Part of the bill was 155 for service charge . I asked what it was for and was told it was rental for the box .

One day the box stopped working so i called them and was told somebody would come to fix it . Had a call from the true visons office in udon thani about 20kms from me and was told i would have to pay 600baht to repair? A new box about 600baht
 I said why would i want to pay for repair to a box that does not belong to me ?Just give me a new one or i will bring it in for repair next time i come to the city . Answer no so i refused .
I had no tv and then a few weeks later a true visions truck turned up to take it all away and take it they did and came all the way back the next day for the remote? I was paying nearly 20,000 baht a year and they took a box that did not work and a dish that had been on my house for 3 half years .I was astounded at their stupidity . I emailed all the top guys in TVisions and complained and got 1 call from a guy in bkk saying i could get 3 months free not to cancel ? To late no box or dish.
 I now have internet streamer thaiexpat.tv for some reason never mentioned on her . I paid about 10,000 baht for 2 years , get all the free tv from uk and a few more like cnn and australia network . Can watch back for 10 days , excellent picture as they have servers in thailand only downside is very little sport on uk free tv

ps they then took my deposit for the month the box did not work and i had no tv!

Edited by dazzz
ps

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The beaming executive said they now had a 38% market share in broadband and were bringing in the fastest upload speeds to the

country.

This is Thailand to believe any numbers issued by business, government or otherwise is sheer folly. Trust the TAT lady though the little sweetheart but pare off 25% from her figures. Give her an E for effort. 

1 hour ago, Beats56 said:

I have had no problem with 3bb. I cut the cable TV and watch Netflix and youtube and NHL.

Glad to get rid of the crazy thai soaps..

Just a bunch of noise with them girls fighting all the time. Sounds like a bunch of chickens squawking.   Anything else I want I can get on the Internet.

I think the terminology is cats mating ,  sliding down a wet tin roof.

Why anyone who had had to deal with UBC/True, they are bot the same, just name change is beyond me! did they not learn enough dealing with their Tv service? and they still dealt with their internet service? not me! it just proves that there are a ot of charlie tuna's out there. if there was any other satellite service available that provided english programs I would be gone in a second, but there are none at least up here in the Northeast. and the doubling up on the programs and calling them HD? they do not now the meaning of HD!

True should read these forums and get a real grip on what their subscribes feel

I for one had used True for 7 years Went away for a couple of months back in the USA to visit family and got back to cable service that was disconnected 

Ok I understand you do not pay you get disconnected but then you have the gall  to charge me a reconnection fee. That was the straw the broke the camel's back 

I set up Apple TV and started Streaming for 2/3rds  what True was charging and with a wider selection as well

I then called up True and told them so stuff it and to my amazement the offered me the same service at a discount 

That just infuriated me more and I told the Rep NO WAY not interested after your abuse for the service I was paying for 

Now I have streaming and I wonder why I did not do it sooner Well you live and learn and this will be the demise of True as it is now .

Terrible Customer Loyalty  and it seems no plans to try and improve it

Good Luck True your going to need it You are sooo out of touch with your customers 

Edited by realenglish1

23 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

I for one had used True for 7 years Went away for a couple of months back in the USA to visit family and got back to cable service that was disconnected 

Ok I understand you do not pay you get disconnected but then you have the gall  to charge me a reconnection fee. That was the straw the broke the camel's back 

I set up Apple TV and started Streaming for 2/3rds  what True was charging and with a wider selection as well

I then called up True and told them so stuff it and to my amazement the offered me the same service at a discount 

That just infuriated me more and I told the Rep NO WAY not interested after your abuse for the service I was paying for 

Now I have streaming and I wonder why I did not do it sooner Well you live and learn and this will be the demise of True as it is now .

Good Luck True your going to need it You are sooo out of touch with your customers 

Very well said as I feel the same way..They just refuse to accept the fact that they will be flat broke and dead very very soon

42 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

realenglish1

I'm just as critical of "NotTrue" as you, but I have to point out to fellow TV members who are also TrueVision subscribers (and may not be aware) that they offer a "...signal suspension service to those who are away and unable to watch TV temporarily...".

According to their email to me, "...Subscribers are allowed to request this service 2 times per year, 3 months each (maximum 6 months per year). This service is free of charge...".

And, for what its worth, you can use their TrueVision Anywhere app to access your package's channels online while you're away.

I pay yearly, and I've taken advantage of it a couple of times, so I know it's (dare I say it) True. But, that doesn't excuse them from their overall abysmal offering in a very limited market.

1 minute ago, waldroj said:

realenglish1

I'm just as critical of "NotTrue" as you, but I have to point out to fellow TV members who are also TrueVision subscribers (and may not be aware) that they offer a "...signal suspension service to those who are away and unable to watch TV temporarily...".

According to their email to me, "...Subscribers are allowed to request this service 2 times per year, 3 months each (maximum 6 months per year). This service is free of charge...".

And, for what its worth, you can use their TrueVision Anywhere app to access your package's channels online while you're away.

I pay yearly, and I've taken advantage of it a couple of times, so I know it's (dare I say it) True. But, that doesn't excuse them from their overall abysmal offering in a very limited market.

I then ask you why you are still using them when streaming has more to offer and you can get it in English when True is limited on their English Channels  

10 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

I then ask you why you are still using them when streaming has more to offer and you can get it in English when True is limited on their English Channels  

realenglish1

Fair comment.

Unlike my wife (who is a big television watcher), I'm not that much of a fan. We need it because of the poor reception of the free-to-air Thai channels in our apartment building in BKK.

True also provides me with the Golf and History channels that I do enjoy, but the constant reruns they serve up on the other English channels do irk me a bit. I do use YouTube, BBC iPlayer, ABC iView, and the apps from Australian free-to-air channels occasionally, when the mood take me.

But, you're so right - technology and the internet are fast making TrueVision redundant (better sell my True shares before it's too late)!

4 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

The movie channels suck now where HBO EVE AND WWE TIT

True TV is crap, and getting worse, how I wish there was some real competition, in the mean time, listen up you True people, such low class service reflects on you, how can you work for such a company and still have some honour.   

We're not in the Boondocks, but True's management probably know the Boondocks better than they do Bangkok.

A properly organised boycott would undoubtedly work - with a typical company, in a typical country. But TiT, and TiT('s NBTC), a right pair of tits between them, would probably take several days to even realise True was the object of one. 

There are choices out there, plenty of them, but it obviously depends on what people want from a service - or non-service.

1 hour ago, waldroj said:

realenglish1

Fair comment.

Unlike my wife (who is a big television watcher), I'm not that much of a fan. We need it because of the poor reception of the free-to-air Thai channels in our apartment building in BKK.

True also provides me with the Golf and History channels that I do enjoy, but the constant reruns they serve up on the other English channels do irk me a bit. I do use YouTube, BBC iPlayer, ABC iView, and the apps from Australian free-to-air channels occasionally, when the mood take me.

But, you're so right - technology and the internet are fast making TrueVision redundant (better sell my True shares before it's too late)!

Hey dont sell your true shares Go short on the market You should make a killing Over the next 18 months it will tell  what will happen to True

Only been able to use 3BB for the last few yeas and got Samart for the TV for the missus. Lo and behold, we've just been getting letter box drops from True and they also had a big display set up the local temple on Saturday. Thank goodness the latest news reports have deterred us.

I have now had my True intenet down for three days.

I phoned again last night and was promised a call back - guess what - it never happened.

I once had a problem with the billing - a girl in the office - wherever it was, was very efficient and managed to sort the problem out for me.

Guess it depends on who you speak to.

Just about to phone them again!!!!  Aaargh!!!!

On 26/01/2017 at 9:03 AM, Nurseynutcase said:

I have now had my True intenet down for three days.

I phoned again last night and was promised a call back - guess what - it never happened.

I once had a problem with the billing - a girl in the office - wherever it was, was very efficient and managed to sort the problem out for me.

Guess it depends on who you speak to.

Just about to phone them again!!!!  Aaargh!!!!

SIL in Bangkok has been calling them for the past 4 days she reckons, everyday same answer, will be fixed tomorrow.