Court case on whether Brexit can be reversed to be filed Friday

webfact

13 hours ago, raro said:

The discussion always circulates around how much a country pays into the EU but hardly ever about the benefits. Germany being the biggest payer is also the biggest exporter - world wide not only in Europe.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I keep boring everyone with the fact that the EU is heading towards "Germany and it's colonies" because Germany NEEDS that huge internal market to sell it's exports. That's why Scotland will be welcomed (assuming they pass the entrance exam) and anywhere else that want to join will be welcome too, so long as they buy EU/German exports.  Turkey dances around the possibility of joining, How far east does Europe extend?  If Turkey joins it's only a short step to Syria joining and everyone can go home :)  Germany will fund it because they will increase their exports.  France and Holland might will also increase the exports in such an expanded market, so they'll stay in too. UK has never been a happy member and will e happier independent again.  The politics are nothing short of imposing a dictatorial democracy on the member countries.  How Trump will react to all this is going to be interesting but for sure he will want to support UK as a friendly foothold on the doorstep of Europe.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, jpinx said:

I keep boring everyone with the fact that the EU is heading towards "Germany and it's colonies" because Germany NEEDS that huge internal market to sell it's exports. That's why Scotland will be welcomed (assuming they pass the entrance exam) and anywhere else that want to join will be welcome too, so long as they buy EU/German exports.  Turkey dances around the possibility of joining, How far east does Europe extend?  If Turkey joins it's only a short step to Syria joining and everyone can go home :)  Germany will fund it because they will increase their exports.  France and Holland might will also increase the exports in such an expanded market, so they'll stay in too. UK has never been a happy member and will e happier independent again.  The politics are nothing short of imposing a dictatorial democracy on the member countries.  How Trump will react to all this is going to be interesting but for sure he will want to support UK as a friendly foothold on the doorstep of Europe.

You still keep coming back to Turkey joining the EU. Nonsense. Not in our lifetimes.

Germany is the third largest exporter in the world (1.4 trillion USD) after USA (1.5) and China (2.2).

Internal market to sell its exports? Que?

I think you will find Mercedes Benz all over the world because of good engineering not because of low price.....

43 minutes ago, raro said:

Germany actually just overtook China and the US.

Which fact kinda proves my point -- they need to continuously find new markets, and there is one huge market on Germany's doorstep --  the EU.  All they have to do is keep expanding the EU, using the combined forces of members to "do the deal" and thereby reduce Germany's costs in getting into a new market.  Turkey might not look too good these days, but Erdogan won't be there forever, and Germany has been playing this Common Market/EU game for many years and will just keep doing the legwork on new members, even when they look hopeless.  Germany and it's colonial market is the best description of the EU now, and that also explains why UK feels the need to get out.

I might be a bit biased as a German, albeit I have nothing much to do with the country I came from apart from my passport.... Anyways, I think there is a lot of envy ringing through. German products are not necessarily cheap, so it must be value for money that convinced people to buy them over Chinese or American products. This is how markets work, and protectionism will not help at all, it will make products just more expensive and inferior as it cancels out competition.

You can observe this every day in Thailand, a country with sometimes ridiculous import duties to protect an otherwise not competitive industry.

18 minutes ago, raro said:

I might be a bit biased as a German, albeit I have nothing much to do with the country I came from apart from my passport.... Anyways, I think there is a lot of envy ringing through. German products are not necessarily cheap, so it must be value for money that convinced people to buy them over Chinese or American products. This is how markets work, and protectionism will not help at all, it will make products just more expensive and inferior as it cancels out competition.

You can observe this every day in Thailand, a country with sometimes ridiculous import duties to protect an otherwise not competitive industry.

You're right!  Huge envy!  Germany has a work ethic that makes the rest of us look like lazy buggers, so they deserve everything they work for - not just at the production line, but in the back-up of infrastructure and politics as well.  Shame the Deutsche Bank let them down so badly - they really did not need that.  Their long-sighted politics within the EU is just not recognised by so many people, but actually makes perfect sense from Germany's point of view.  In the rebuild of Germany after the war, there was no distraction of armed forces, so the focus was on industry and efficiency, knowing that after that war there were many countries looking for good products at a sensible price.  Now they have the same motivation as the EU expands - a "home" market for Germany withing the EU. 

German life has the same structure as a joke in German language -- you really have to wait to the end to get the punchline.

32 minutes ago, raro said:

I entirely agree with you on this point.

If the UK thinks they can keep up by devaluing the currency they are sadly mistaken

I don't buy Leica because they're cheap ( I like the little red spot!)

Getting a bit off topic but I had had a look for military expenditures versus GDP. interesting, and probably proving a point.

Germany 1.2% (similar to most western European countries, UK, however spends 1.9)
China 2.0%
USA 3.3%

Switzerland, which has the reputation of being totally militarized spends only 0.7% of its GDP.

Russia spends a whopping 5.0% and top of the list is Oman with 14.2%, followed by Saudi Arabia with 13.8%

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS.MIL.XPND.GD.ZS

2 hours ago, raro said:

2 hours ago, jpinx said:

You're right!  Huge envy!  Germany has a work ethic that makes the rest of us look like lazy buggers, so they deserve everything they work for - not just at the production line, but in the back-up of infrastructure and politics as well.  Shame the Deutsche Bank let them down so badly - they really did not need that.  Their long-sighted politics within the EU is just not recognised by so many people, but actually makes perfect sense from Germany's point of view.  In the rebuild of Germany after the war, there was no distraction of armed forces, so the focus was on industry and efficiency, knowing that after that war there were many countries looking for good products at a sensible price.  Now they have the same motivation as the EU expands - a "home" market for Germany withing the EU. 

German life has the same structure as a joke in German language -- you really have to wait to the end to get the punchline.

Agree entirely that German products are relatively expensive, but also have a reputation as being very good quality - so consumers are happy to pay more to get a product that is likely to last far longer than the normal cheap rubbish.

Germany also has (as far as I can make out) a far better education system, whereby those who are happier being provided a 'hands on' education are able to receive this - rather than being forced through the 'intellectual' (can't think of a better word - but you know what I mean) education insisted on in the UK.  The upper schools re-named as  'technology colleges' etc. in the UK are just a 'stunt' - they're nothing of the sort.....

I also respect Germany enormously as it seems to have worked out the correct balance between employer and employee rights - which is presumably why they have a better 'work ethic'?

Edited by dick dasterdly

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Agree entirely that German products are relatively expensive, but also have a reputation as being very good quality

Reputation for good quality; true.

Which makes me wonder why the indicators on BMWs never seem to work!