No place like home - Thai woman arrested on pharma drugs charges back from prison in Oman

rooster59

No place like home - Thai woman arrested on pharma drugs charges back from prison in Oman

560000000981301.JPEG
Image: Manager

A Thai woman from Phitsanulok is back home after she was arrested in Oman on drugs charges.

Rossukhon Niamklang, 32, was arrested last year at the airport in Oman then she was found to be carrying a stack of pharmaceutical drugs she claimed were for friends.

She was going to work in Oman.

The drugs included medicine to prevent strokes, migraine tablets, anti-depressants, sleeping pills and blood pressure medication. 

Some of the drugs contained forbidden substances.

She served four months in jail but was back in Thailand yesterday after representations were made on her behalf in December.

Meeting her mother and father she fell to her knees to "graap" their feet.

She said that what happened to her was like going to hell and she was overwhelmed at being home.

She warned people to always check what they are allowed to import into another country so that they don't end up being caught out like her.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-28

They've got totally bonkers drugs laws in the Gulf States. They throw people in jail for travel sickness pills bought over the counter in another country.

If they're going to have prohibitions on certain drugs (I personally would like to see ALL drugs laws consigned to the dustbin of history - the laws destroy far more lives than the drugs themselves do), then it should be done on an international scale so you don't get stupidities where certain drugs, particularly pharmaceutical drugs, are legal in one country and not in another.

34 minutes ago, nisakiman said:

They've got totally bonkers drugs laws in the Gulf States. They throw people in jail for travel sickness pills bought over the counter in another country.

If they're going to have prohibitions on certain drugs (I personally would like to see ALL drugs laws consigned to the dustbin of history - the laws destroy far more lives than the drugs themselves do), then it should be done on an international scale so you don't get stupidities where certain drugs, particularly pharmaceutical drugs, are legal in one country and not in another.

I spent quite a few years in the ME. I have a letter from B'Grad listing what heart meds I take, and a separate one stating that they'd prescribed Diazepam (Valium) for me.

I was once caught out on a works-medical urine test about a week after I'd taken a Valium (to help me sleep when abstaining from booze), nothing much came of it, but I now have those pieces of paper to carry with me, just in case.

BTW, I agree with you on drugs laws.

Edited by Andrew65

1 hour ago, nisakiman said:

That's a load of rubbish.

They throw people in jail for having proscribed drugs normally because they've created a scene at immigration or check in, otherwise they don't care.

The ones that are proscribed are things like Codeine. 

In this case, it sounds like she was carrying a veritable pharmacy, and try getting into Australia with prescription drugs for which you have no prescription. And that includes non-Prescription Codeine now as well.

She was probably taking these to make money and got caught. Som Num Na.

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

I spent quite a few years in the ME. I have a letter from B'Grad listing what heart meds I take, and a separate one stating that they'd prescribed Diazepam (Valium) for me.

I was once caught out on a works-medical urine test about a week after I'd taken a Valium (to help me sleep when abstaining from booze), nothing much came of it, but I now have those pieces of paper to carry with me, just in case.

BTW, I agree with you on drugs laws.

I carry Prescription Beta Blockers everywhere, along with the prescription. The only place I've ever been asked for it is Sydney.

On my last trip to Thailand I stocked up on them, because they are pricey in the Middle East. 

As long as you have your prescription, you're OK.

7 minutes ago, Chicog said:

They throw people in jail for having proscribed drugs normally because they've created a scene at immigration or check in, otherwise they don't care.

In this case, it sounds like she was carrying a veritable pharmacy, and try getting into Australia with prescription drugs for which you have no prescription. And that includes non-Prescription Codeine now as well.

I don't agree totally. The middle east is a very strict place with tough laws all around you. Every country has its own laws and some are very nutty. I bet she's been through a real nightmare.

1 hour ago, nisakiman said:

You're dead on about destroying lives and families, loss of assets and jobs etc. too. Drug laws are screwy. The prescription drugs do more damage than the illicit ones also, even more screwy.

As if a middle east prison wasn't bad enough, she has to come back and face parents like that. He's looking at her like she was a piece of crap, and the mother doesn't look too pleased to see her.

Probably a bit put out because their overseas income has dried up

I wouldn't care what she'd done, if it was my daughter the only tears would be tears of joy amidst one helluva welcome home party

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

You're all heart, not Christian by any chance are you?

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

Some medicines, which are over-the-counter in other countries, are also considered controlled items in the UAE as they produce effects that contravene local laws.

- Many common cold and cough remedies, which you might assume to be harmless, must be accompanied by a prescription. Many of these drugs are available over-the-counter (OTC) in other countries.

http://gulfnews.com/keep-banned-drugs-off-travel-kit-1.442006

The United Arab Emirates has emerged as the country with the longest list of banned substances, which include many commonly available drugs, such as codeine, and many well-known anti-depressants, which can lead to jail if unaccompanied by a doctor's written prescription. Dubai airport has recently installed new drug-sensitive equipment which can detect a trace of a drug on a shoe. Earlier this year, Fair Trials International (FTI) published a list of the drugs that could lead to terms of imprisonment in Dubai. Travellers carrying jet-lag medicine have been held. Even poppy seeds can result in a charge. Fifty-nine Britons were arrested in Dubai last year on drug charges.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2008/jun/09/unitedarabemirates.travelnews

Edited by nisakiman

56 minutes ago, grumbleweed said:

As if a middle east prison wasn't bad enough, she has to come back and face parents like that. He's looking at her like she was a piece of crap, and the mother doesn't look too pleased to see her.

Probably a bit put out because their overseas income has dried up

I wouldn't care what she'd done, if it was my daughter the only tears would be tears of joy amidst one helluva welcome home party

You don't understand. Loosing your face is a terrible thing.

Unless your daughter is a highly succesful hooker, of course. Then it's no questions asked, happy to see you!!

8 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

People should in general avoid visiting all these Muslim Middle-east countries and vice-versa.....lets make sure that citizens of these countries are not allowed into non-muslim countries as well.

rabugento1.gif

31 minutes ago, Canceraid said:

People should in general avoid visiting all these Muslim Middle-east countries and vice-versa.....lets make sure that citizens of these countries are not allowed into non-muslim countries as well.

:passifier:

3 hours ago, Canceraid said:

Sure a Trump Fan ?

I like him too = he makes politics colorful and interesting again. ??