Music festivals may become a new tourism driver for Thailand

rooster59

Music festivals may become a new tourism driver for Thailand

Nyshka Chandran

Turquoise waters, world-famous cuisine and heartfelt hospitality are the pillars of Thailand's booming tourism industry. Music festivals may soon join that list of attractions.

A number of events boasting famous international artists have debuted in the Southeast Asian nation over the past few years, producing a packed year-long schedule as organizers tap into explosive appetite for electronic music.

Full story: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/26/music-festivals-may-become-a-new-tourism-driver-for-thailand.html

CNBC 2017-01-28

11 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Turquoise waters, world-famous cuisine and heartfelt hospitality are the pillars of Thailand's booming tourism industry.

Ah, that's funny.

There's nothing  like a good laugh to get the afternoon going. 

No detail of who these artists are then. Went to the 2nd Thai tourist festival at Lumpini yesterday, it on until tomorrow. 99% Thai and oddly no mention of tourist destinations, very well and expensively done though. They had two big Thai stars on that 99% of foreigners would not watch for ten minutes. There is no explosive interest in electronic music, new Thai interest is purely Korean pop and little else, foreign interest is western garbage. If they want the best of new Asian music that would be Japanese, Babymetal, Band maid, AKB48 etc. However, Thailand has such a rich, diverse and exciting musical culture there is no need to import trendy 'indie' acts, what does that really mean anyway? Thai music as an attraction has been ignored for decades, unfortunately though Thailand has nothing as innovative as idol music blended with heavy metal-

This is how to put on a concert that attracts 50-60 thousand, not a rusty old bus in a field. The Japanese are superb at showcasing Asian music, Thailand could do the same as they have just as many talented acts.

Edited by thai3

2 hours ago, thai3 said:

No detail of who these artists are then. Went to the 2nd Thai tourist festival at Lumpini yesterday, it on until tomorrow. 99% Thai and oddly no mention of tourist destinations, very well and expensively done though. They had two big Thai stars on that 99% of foreigners would not watch for ten minutes. There is no explosive interest in electronic music, new Thai interest is purely Korean pop and little else, foreign interest is western garbage. If they want the best of new Asian music that would be Japanese, Babymetal, Band maid, AKB48 etc. However, Thailand has such a rich, diverse and exciting musical culture there is no need to import trendy 'indie' acts, what does that really mean anyway? Thai music as an attraction has been ignored for decades, unfortunately though Thailand has nothing as innovative as idol music blended with heavy metal-

This is how to put on a concert that attracts 50-60 thousand, not a rusty old bus in a field. The Japanese are superb at showcasing Asian music, Thailand could do the same as they have just as many talented acts.

What  a bloody  row, hope some ferker  never  moves next door   and plays  this  crap or  ill be on T.V for murder

I guess you like western garbage then :smile: Thailand has no chance of attracting tourists by putting on festivals. The biggest thing they have done is the Pattaya music festival, an arid dreary attempt where they confiscated all sorts of things like combs and pens, they did just let us in with an umbrella though after thinking about it, all the atmosphere of a car park. Not seen any evidence for this explosive interest in electronic music, sounds like a time warp.

52 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

If they could do this it would be fabulous. Mix of local, Asian and western bands would be a great attraction. Imagine Sek Loso, Girls Generation and Maroon 5 on the same bill. I'd pay to see that. 

I think leaving out the wife beating drug abuser might be a good thing.

57 minutes ago, fish monger said:

Please leave your guns, knives and yaba at the door....!

Have only seen three stabbings and two shootings, one fatal :sad: Many fights though, almost a certainty at some concerts, Carabao and lam cing are the worst. Seating is what makes it less likely, but takes a bit more effort.

2 hours ago, thai3 said:

There is no explosive interest in electronic music, new Thai interest is purely Korean pop and little else, foreign interest is western garbage. If they want the best of new Asian music that would be Japanese, Babymetal, Band maid, AKB48 etc. However, Thailand has such a rich, diverse and exciting musical culture there is no need to import trendy 'indie' acts, what does that really mean anyway? Thai music as an attraction has been ignored for decades, unfortunately though Thailand has nothing as innovative as idol music blended with heavy metal-

I beg to differ, electronic music or EDM music is huge. In the past 5 years, the top EDM DJs have been performing in Thailand. MAYA, Together Festival, Mystic Valley to name a few.  Korea music is somewhat on a downward trend now, the Korean wave has past, not saying its not popular it still is.

You don't seem to understand what music festivals is about, hence you say no need to import trendy acts.

54 minutes ago, thai3 said:

I guess you like western garbage then :smile: Thailand has no chance of attracting tourists by putting on festivals. The biggest thing they have done is the Pattaya music festival, an arid dreary attempt where they confiscated all sorts of things like combs and pens, they did just let us in with an umbrella though after thinking about it, all the atmosphere of a car park. Not seen any evidence for this explosive interest in electronic music, sounds like a time warp.

i might  be  deaf

34 minutes ago, mike324 said:

I beg to differ, electronic music or EDM music is huge. In the past 5 years, the top EDM DJs have been performing in Thailand. MAYA, Together Festival, Mystic Valley to name a few.  Korea music is somewhat on a downward trend now, the Korean wave has past, not saying its not popular it still is.

You don't seem to understand what music festivals is about, hence you say no need to import trendy acts.

I agree. EDM has been targeting the Asian markets for some time and the trend is on the up.

Oh that electronic music, Dj's playing stuff to drug fulled youngsters, that's not what I think of as an 'artist'. That's the sort of thing backpackers pretending to be hipsters go to listen to on the full moon party. That could be expanded on i'm sure, but it seems the article was suggesting something else.

17 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Oh that electronic music, Dj's playing stuff to drug fulled youngsters, that's not what I think of as an 'artist'. That's the sort of thing backpackers pretending to be hipsters go to listen to on the full moon party. That could be expanded on i'm sure, but it seems the article was suggesting something else.

Thump Thump Thump is big business and social media brain training loves big business. Sign of the times, sorry.

Cock fighting may become a new tourism driver, that's got about as much chance as EDM doing so as well. If it's tourists they want to attract they should put on Chinese music, not clowns in hats manipulating somebody else's music.

Edited by thai3

12 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Cock fighting may become a new tourism driver, that's got about as much chance as EDM doing so as well. If it's tourists they want to attract they should put on Chinese music, not clowns in hats manipulating somebody else's music.

A song from China to calm you down :)

6 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

I think it's a great idea. Years back when I first came to Thailand this would have been a great place to take my Pattaya bar girl too. Back then I chose Koh Samet but if I'd seen a poster advertising this I would have gone there instead. The more variety the better.

Looks like one of those old ads for the 18-30's holidays.

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

11 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Ah, that's funny.

There's nothing  like a good laugh to get the afternoon going. 

Agreed.

Have to say the (genuine) hospitality-thing might have some merit though - as long as they're not tourism-'experts' (... yeah, i know ...), a.k.a. working for a living or just reeking in as much as possible in that sector.

My landlady for example seems to be happy to let her own house via Airbnb for a ridiculously low amount, especially if taking into account her effort for guests who just stay for 1 or 2 nights.

That's up north at a place with luckily no tourism  worth mentioning so far, it happens maybe 2, 3 or 4 nights per month, mostly families, mostly foreigners but certainly nothing to be made off it worth to be called profit.

She says she likes meeting & chatting with new & different folks, her English is comparatively well - after all she's NOT an English teacher.

As for more concerts / festivals - sure, if only they manage to significantly increase the odds of not gettin' stabbed or beaten up by a pack of worthless alcofix'es ... 

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a xxx big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of xxx fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the xxx you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing xxx junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, xxx up brats you spawned to replace yourself.

Choose your future.

Choose life.

I chose not to choose life.

I chose something else.

Mystic valley, Pattaya 2017.

6 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Been to about 1200 concerts in Thailand, not got beaten up so far, although the mrs has threatened :smile: 

Out of those 1200 concerts how many were western music? Curious. I know your a Thai country music fan. A couple of hundred people sat outside a shopping mall watching looktung doesn't really count as a concert.

9 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Been to about 1200 concerts in Thailand, not got beaten up so far, although the mrs has threatened :smile: 

Good for  you. Me neither, the one or other tried - and failed - though.

However, i've seen different couple o' dozen times, yes, usually Thai on Thai, usually pissed to the brim, seems to be normal here, not interested in that at all ...

Best regards to the missus.