Monk Accused of Hosting Teen Meth Parties at Temple

rooster59

Monk Accused of Hosting Teen Meth Parties at Temple

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

badmonk-696x433.jpg

Phra Prakong Punyavaro is taken into custody Friday at the Ban Krapho monastery in Si Saket.

SISAKET — Police arrested a monk Friday in Si Saket province after he hosted one too many teen drug parties at his temple.

Police said they moved in on 37-year-old Phra Prakong Punyavaro after the governor’s office received complaints from residents about his regular drug parties at the Ban Krapho monastery.

Officers searched Prakong’s residence and said they found a small amount of methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2017/01/28/monk-accused-teen-meth-parties/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-01-28

This must rate as one of the best news headlines recently- sadly reflects on the state of Buddhism in the Kingdom - money, money - more temples -yet more temples- and more -  helping the poor? More Mercedes - money money for funerals, weddings  etc. 

I am certain there are really venerable monks who spend their lives spreading the teachings of the Buddha- and actually in many ways He makes a lot of sense.

I would not be too sure He would approve of what is going on at the moment.

I think in true TIT fashion- it's really not good enough- the whole concept of the Buddhist religion is being undermined in Thailand- it's very sad . 

1 hour ago, performance said:

Standard operating procedure

Too true.  I got to have my little rant here as I am going crazy with the noise from the temple next door to me.... a small temple in a very small rural village...

Here many people still live in the old wooden houses and the people not wealthy.

But the temple is dripping in money.. building more and more huge temple buildings, buying land and setting up Hindu God worship retreats on it.

The head monk openly drives around in one of the 2 temples brand new pick up trucks, wearing his robes, going into shops and buying drink and food in the afternoons to go back to the temple for parties playing loud base music out of the trucks most afternoons with some dodgy looking 'temple helpers'.  Strange comings and goings at the temple late at night from expensive black pick up trucks.  The pack of 8 huge dogs barking and howling all night, and chasing people down the road during the day.. causing many people to fall of their motorbikes. 

The monks organizing the cutting down of 4 huge 100 plus year old rain trees and teak trees in the temple grounds to make room for more buildings,  and the wood suspiciously getting piled onto various pick up trucks and driven away.

Then his ranting and raving over the loudspeakers at 5am ordering people to bring him more money as they are bad people... listing things various village people have done wrong....   but everyone is afraid of him and he is a relative of the village head man... so nothing happens.

Before he came to the temple it was a lovely traditional peaceful temple.. only music and chanting on festivals and Buddha days.  Now is music, parties, building, every day of the week and a sudden increase in wealth.  When I first came here the temple was always busy with locals.   I was a lovely scene when people made their food offerings outside their houses each morning, the monks walking down the road in a line. Now virtually no one goes to the temple, the monks never walk through the village to collect alms.. instead ordering people over the loud speakers to bring them food and money, or driving through the village on one of his new trucks.. with a huge golden Buddha fixed to the front of the truck... and him with his loud speaker telling people to bring out things to him. 

I used to love the Temples and Buddhist religion when I first came here.  Now I have almost a phobia to it. 

6 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

What is it with these Thai Monks free food free place to stay they get paid for prayer etc TIt

But no fun, so such strange things happen. Same in Catholic Church where priests are cut off sexual life and then abuse innocent children.

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, scotchonrocks said:

It's was for spiritual enlightening: apologies and a wai to the local chieftains and all is forgiven (oh forgot the small donation to the local BiB shop).

Meth-elated spirit enlightening perhaps??

According to police, local residents said they often saw youths visiting Prakong’s monk residence to buy and take ya ba, which they said caused much nuisance in the community.

Prakong reportedly confessed to the charges

Yabba Dabba Doo......:post-4641-1156693976: