Thinking Of Going To Krabi Next Week...

ashacat

Hi guys,

I have been living in Thailand for quite a few years now, but I still have not made a trip to Krabi!!! So I am planning to go down for a few days next week with my GF.

I have very little idea what Krabi has to offer (apart from beautiful beaches, of course :D )

I am thinking of taking an AirAsia flight (despite the inevitable delay) as they seem to be the cheapest and offer the greatest choice of flight times.

I am looking for mid-range accomadation (hopefully around 1,500-2,000 Baht/night) preferably with a swimming pool. However I'm not too sure where to stay. I will probably hire a motorbike, so I don't need to pay a premium to be in the most expensive area or whatever. We will most likely be chilling out and not partying too hard (so a quiet place would be nice, jungle or beach) however a couple of quiet picturesque bars in the vicinity wouldn't be a bad thing :o ...

Cos I will get a bike I will try to spend time both on the beach and in the junlgy area, any recommendations as to where the best beaches/jungle walks/waterfalls etc are? I have heard read on the forum that Railee beach is very nice, but I assume that it is also pretty expensive to stay, are there any other comparible beaches?

Anything else which I should be aware of? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

:D

Krabi is one of the nicest and friendliest places in Thailand and I love it. I usually end up there after doing visa runs to Malaysia so for me I get there by bus. I once stayed at the Grand Mansion Hotel Krabi which I found ok and central to Krabi town. Krabi town doesn't have any beaches itself as it's along the river but I liked staying there. Railai east beach is not that good but that's where the boats come in, Railai west is great. With your budget I think you could find a bungalow for that price at Railai.

Apart from the nice beaches at Railai and the boat trip out there Tiger Cave is a worthwhile visit too. There were loads of monkeys about there and there is a nice walk amongst the trees where the caves are. There is also a hill/mountain climb at Tiger Cave to a Big Golden Buddhist Stupa, for this climb you need to be fit. It is some 1200 steps up to the top and it's steep but it's worth getting up there for the view. There is water up there too and you will need it.

Other highlights are some hot springs somewhere there (I didn't go but my wife did) and Ao Nang too which is more touristy. Also at night time along side the river there's the outdoor food markets where you can eat out, the food is so great there. The travel shops and internet shops are very friendly and when you get there they can help you out more. Here's a photo of the river from Krabi town, have a good trip.

post-5966-1165927304_thumb.jpg

I don't actually organise a visa run, I catch an overnight train from BKK to Pedang Besar where I get off and go through the formalities, then walk back into Thailand. Once back in I just cross the road and wait at the bus stop in front of the school and wave down a Hat Yai orange bus. From Hat Yai I then take a bus to Krabi. For the train service THIS SITE might help, cheers.

Have to agree with the above poster ref Railay Bay (West).

Stayed there a year or so ago (Railay Bay Bungalows I think) and it's a great spot. Nice beach, lovely pool, very relaxed and laid back. Only way in is by boat (from Krabi, Ao Nang, or a pier half way between the two) so hardly any noise.

The beach at the point is fantastic (although it can get busy when the tourist boats pull up for the day).

I visited the hot springs mentioned above which were well worth the visit (sectioned off pools as well as naturally in the river) and als took a trip up to Tiger Temple.

Great place to get away from it all.