อารมณ์

tgeezer

วรรณคดีรุ่นก่อนของไทยเป็นวรรณคดีชนิดที่สนองอารมณ์ ไมเป็นวรรณคดีที่บำรุงความคืดนัก

I don't know anything about Thai literature, old or new, so I have to guess.

ไม่บำรุงความคิด I think of as thought provoking thus nurturing thought. So I would translate อารมณ์ as the five senses sight, smell, taste, touch and feeling, meaning that old literature deals with things as they are.

อารมณ์ is normally translated as 'emotion' and I can't be sure that this is not what is meant by สนองอารมณ์ . I think that The world at the emotional level would nurture thought, am I wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I think  you  stated the meaning  correctly. How  about:

"วรรณคดีรุ่นก่อนของไทยเป็นวรรณคดีชนิดที่สนองอารมณ์ ไม่เป็นวรรณคดีที่บำรุงความคิดนัก"

The older generation of Thai literature is of a type which responds to the emotions [of readers]; it is not literature which nourishes [the reader's] intellect.

I guess that will do, I was really hoping to be able to translate the first definition of อารมณ์ from the RID, and this doesn't help. รูปเป็นอารมณ์ของตา
เสียงเป็นอารมณ์ของหู
สิ่งไหนเป็นอารมณ์ของใจ
What is it that can be paired with the heart in the same way as a picture is perceived by the eyes or a sound heard by the ears?
I think I shall have to shelve this in the same way as T-E dictionaries have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived