Do I have a case?

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

The big problem is that even if you win in court, which you probably will, the court does not enforce the decision and you are back to square one. Find a friendly cop and promise him 30% .

The last statement sounds about right. If you know someone "connected" ask him. If his connected man carries more weight than your connected man its like a duel where there is no victim a "Mexican" standoff. If your talking dollars and not bahts its a lot of scratch. If you really cannot let the matter go there is always a Terminator somewhere.  

If he has no assets in the Kingdom, you are wasting your time. This is a civil matter, unless you can prove fraud - not paying someone what you owe is not fraud. He would have to have blatantly broken theThai laws on fraud.

I would consult with a quality Thai lawyer - and I said consult. Make it clear that you have no plans of taking a case at the moment. You just want to see what your options are. For instance, would it be possible to seize some of his moveable assets, such as a car or a boat? Most likely he had anything he "owns" in his Thai lady's name but it might be worth a try. But this is one where you go in with very low expectations.

Thank you all for your comments so far, obviously going to a lawyer would be the best option but I thought it might be worth posting here as someone may have said "Oh yeah something similar happened to me, this is what I did...................." but I suppose that was I little optimistic 

6 minutes ago, ruds said:

Thank you all for your comments so far, obviously going to a lawyer would be the best option but I thought it might be worth posting here as someone may have said "Oh yeah something similar happened to me, this is what I did...................." but I suppose that was I little optimistic 

This happened to myself and several people on and around koh samui.

Several people gave the guy money regarding loans, car purchase , business purchases etc and he done a runner to the UK.

The guy had a Thai girlfriend whose account was used for one off the things to send the money too , the car purchase.

The police didn't seem to interested in the other things but they informed the woman to tell her boyfriend unless he paid the car money back she would be charged and sent to jail as her account being used was enough to involve her. Guy got the money back as far as I know and the thief is now hiding with girlfriend in UK with several people looking for him. Scumbag stole from cancer sufferer and disabled people !! Total scum !!

There used to be a good "professional" debt collection agency in Patts. Got a lot of good reports but I don't know if they are still there

EDITED by KhunBENQ: <email adr. deleted>

Please use the personal message function to supply such information. Thanks.

Do/can Thai lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, I would be very leery

about throwing good money after bad on advice from a lawyer who gets

paid regardless on whether he wins the case or looses.