box jelly fish sightings

yogavnture

How sure are you that there were ever box jellyfish there?     Maybe Bluebottles, (Portuguese man o' war) but if there were box jellyfish, there would have been a few near-fatalities by now.

The Australian Box Jellyfish - Outback Australia Travel Secrets

www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/box-jellyfish.html
Boxfish, Sea Wasp, Fire Medusa, Or Just Stinger. The Indo-Pacific or Australian box jellyfish (Chironex Fleckeri) is claimed to be the most venomous marine animal known to mankind and its sting is often fatal. This extremely poisonous marine stinger frequents Australia's northern oceans all year round.

There have been many box jellyfish off the coast of koh mak koh chang and koh kood. Many folks stung by them and 2 near fatalities of children last December.  These where confirmed as box jellyfish by marine biologists from Bangkok along with asssociates from Australia. Not all box jellyfish give fatal stings. But the stings they inflict can leave nasty scars and in some cases with children fatalities if not treated in hospital

Edited by alkazared

2 hours ago, alkazared said:

There have been many box jellyfish off the coast of koh mak koh chang and koh kood. Many folks stung by them and 2 near fatalities of children last December.  These where confirmed as box jellyfish by marine biologists from Bangkok along with asssociates from Australia. Not all box jellyfish give fatal stings. But the stings they inflict can leave nasty scars and in some cases with children fatalities if not treated in hospital

Which Koh Chang?

If I remember correctly there have been 2 box jellyfish fatalities in the last couple of years, a German woman in Koh Samui area and a young French boy in Phi Phi?. One of my Australian friends thinks he saw box jellyfish off the west side of Ban Phe, Rayong when we were still getting the rain. I've seen no jellyfish for weeks since the rain stopped.

12 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

If I remember correctly there have been 2 box jellyfish fatalities in the last couple of years, a German woman in Koh Samui area and a young French boy in Phi Phi?. One of my Australian friends thinks he saw box jellyfish off the west side of Ban Phe, Rayong when we were still getting the rain. I've seen no jellyfish for weeks since the rain stopped.

the thai govt. for obvious reasons dosent like to report this info. I know a lady died in ko lanta years ago . box jellyfish i think.  their have been sightings near krabi and Phuket for sure. I think the govt restricts reporting of this info?

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, masuk said:

How sure are you that there were ever box jellyfish there?     Maybe Bluebottles, (Portuguese man o' war) but if there were box jellyfish, there would have been a few near-fatalities by now.

The Australian Box Jellyfish - Outback Australia Travel Secrets

www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/box-jellyfish.html
Boxfish, Sea Wasp, Fire Medusa, Or Just Stinger. The Indo-Pacific or Australian box jellyfish (Chironex Fleckeri) is claimed to be the most venomous marine animal known to mankind and its sting is often fatal. This extremely poisonous marine stinger frequents Australia's northern oceans all year round.

look on you tube thier is video of a diver seeing box jellyfish near ko tao.  its true they are are here although in minimal numbers I think. I suspect Phuket side is worst ?

I'm at the beach in HH 2-3 times a week. No jelly fish of any kind for quite some time.

Really!?! I walk from soi 85 to Hilton and back every morning (for the past 4,5 months), 5 days a week, and have yet to have a day without sighting jellies. Less now coming into the dry season of course (5-25 a day) compared to the previous wetter period (50-200 a day). Not box jellies of course but anyway.

KIO

Skickat från min G7-L01 via Tapatalk

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:48 PM, yogavnture said:

look on you tube thier is video of a diver seeing box jellyfish near ko tao.  its true they are are here although in minimal numbers I think. I suspect Phuket side is worst ?

go to utube . a diver video of one in ko tao that's how sure I am ..videos don't lie