Kindle or Kobo or another eReader?

PaulusE

My old good Kindle got broken so I need to buy a new eReader! .

I have heard good reviews about Kobo. Anyone using it. Or are on the market something else I should consider?

Where to buy in Bangkok?

Thank you again for  your valuable help!

Paulus

Best to go to 

https://www.mobileread.com

useful ereader website.

Kindles in Bangkok - I did see some at the B2S store at Central Citlom - not too many stores stock them, and they are marked up in price a lot.

My Sony PRS-T3 is going to be replaced by a Kindle Oasis - delivered to sister in UK who's dropping by after a marathon in Hong Kong. They don't deliver from Amazon to Thailand, so order on a trip to UK or USA or get a friend over their to ship to you...

Kindle paperwhite is the dogs nuts for keen readers. Got my latest one really cheap on Amazon Black Friday deal and friend brought with them to Thailand. My last kindle before that still going strong after 4-5 years.

Tablets are ok but not for serious readers imo, due to the screens.

10 hours ago, Oxx said:

Why bother with a dedicated device? Get a tablet computer.  I use a Nexus 7 for reading books and find it great.  It's also small enough to take on holiday to check emails, etc..

I only need to charge my Nook every couple of months and that's reading every day. Like to see a tablet with that kind of battery life.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I only need to charge my Nook every couple of months and that's reading every day. Like to see a tablet with that kind of battery life.

Yes, charging a device these days is so ridiculously onerous.  I'm sure you must go through absolute hell recharging a mobile 'phone every few days.  Thank goodness you don't have to do the same for your Nook.

Yes, charging a device these days is so ridiculously onerous.  I'm sure you must go through absolute hell recharging a mobile 'phone every few days.  Thank goodness you don't have to do the same for your Nook.

Oxx, I'm guessing that you've never tried an E reader? If you really need to check emails you can also do it on a Kindle too with their basic browser, however, carrying an additional iPad/tablet for media consumption really is not a problem. For serious readers then dedicated E readers are the way ahead.

I have tried reading books on my iPad/mini, but it doesn't compare with the Kindle for this. On a E readers you get less eye strain, can read in direct sunlight, batteries lasts weeks on one charge and are extremely light weight.

23 hours ago, Oxx said:

If that was the only benefit, but it's not. As many here attest, reading on an E reader is just  better. Besides, if I was in the middle of reading something, then had to stop so I could charge the device, yes, that would be inconvenient, but by all means continue with your tablet, and I'll happily stay with the Nook.

23 hours ago, DMC1 said:

Oxx, I'm guessing that you've never tried an E reader? If you really need to check emails you can also do it on a Kindle too with their basic browser, however, carrying an additional iPad/tablet for media consumption really is not a problem.

The Nexus 7 which I use only weights 290 g, that's not a lot more than Kindle Paperwhite at 205 g.  For the extra weight I get a fully functional browser with ad blocking, the ability to download torrents, in fact pretty much any app available for Android;  Kindle users are (I believe) locked into the Amazon store.  I also get a rear-facing camera.

The screen resolution is 1920×1200 pixels, compared with a Kindle Paperwhite's 1440 x 1080, so in that department it's superior too.

I'm sure for some people an e-reader is a good solution, but personally I just don't see the point.  Give me open, flexible, configurable any day.

The Nexus 7 which I use only weights 290 g, that's not a lot more than Kindle Paperwhite at 205 g.  For the extra weight I get a fully functional browser with ad blocking, the ability to download torrents, in fact pretty much any app available for Android;  Kindle users are (I believe) locked into the Amazon store.  I also get a rear-facing camera.

The screen resolution is 1920×1200 pixels, compared with a Kindle Paperwhite's 1440 x 1080, so in that department it's superior too.

I'm sure for some people an e-reader is a good solution, but personally I just don't see the point.  Give me open, flexible, configurable any day.

Again, you obviously haven't tried an e reader for serious reading then. I also have an iPad that does all the other stuff like YouTube, Netflix etc, etc but when I want to read a novel I use my kindle. You also aren't tied to Amazon. I have thousands of other books that I drag and drop onto my kindle from other sources.

When you are reading text you don't need that kind of resolution and e ink is much kinder to your vision.

E readers are far superior to tablets for reading books and that is a simple fact backed up by probably millions of people. If you want to consume media etc then tablets are obviously better.

15 hours ago, DMC1 said:

Again, you obviously haven't tried an e reader for serious reading then. I also have an iPad that does all the other stuff like YouTube, Netflix etc, etc but when I want to read a novel I use my kindle. You also aren't tied to Amazon. I have thousands of other books that I drag and drop onto my kindle from other sources.

When you are reading text you don't need that kind of resolution and e ink is much kinder to your vision.

E readers are far superior to tablets for reading books and that is a simple fact backed up by probably millions of people. If you want to consume media etc then tablets are obviously better.

Agree. E readers are for dedicated book readers. End of.

I loved my original Kindle. I fell asleep reading and rolled over on it. It was broken. I missed it and a friend was coming over for a visit. He brought me a Kindle Paperwhite. I really like it and read every night before going to sleep. During his last visit I had him bring me a spare. My wife also loves the Paperwhite, not for reading, but because I don't have to keep the headboard light on. The battery life suffers but charging it maybe once a week isn't that bad. I tried a tablet after I broke the first Kindle. It was entirely too heavy and the battery life was very limited. The phone screen is way too small, but I tried it too. I don't need my reading glasses for the Kindle. I can make the text big enough to read without glasses. I'm totally satisfied with the Kindle and have not tried any other brands.

Edited by Gary A

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/27/2017 at 5:02 PM, KaterKarlo said:

I still have an old Kindle 4 and have a question - does the light hurt your eyes like a computer screen does long-term?

I don't know about the older models but I'd think no, the newer models are very good for the eyes and don't even bother partners who are sleeping.

Just now, markcm19 said:

I don't know about the older models but I'd think no, the newer models are very good for the eyes and don't even bother partners who are sleeping.

Most of the old models don't have backlit screens but use E ink technology, same as on my Nook, so it's no more harmful to your eyes than reading a book.

My Paperwhite has a low battery warning. When that message comes up, I plug in the charger and just keep reading. It does not have to shut down to charge the battery. I also should mention that I have never used Amazon to get books. I actually don't like Amazon. I use a program called Calibre to maintain my book collection. I have no use for the built in WiFi and never use it. The other E-Readers are probably fine also, but I am very happy with the Kindle Paperwhite. 

I also have a Huawei Media Pad 8.4 inch screen. It has an option called eye comfort but I have found that the tablet is too heavy to comfortably hold in one hand while reading in bed. I have never tried the eye comfort option. It is supposed to filter out the blue light.

The Media Pad has excellent stereo speakers, one on the bottom and one on the top. My last trip, I forgot to pack my Paperwhite and instead listened to audio books. Battery life is very good because the screen can be off to listen. 

Edited by Gary A
Added info