REMINDER: Alcohol restrictions in place on Saturday [Video]

webfact

5 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Possum,,,,, I have to close my business on Monday as the holiday falls on a Public Holiday.

My staff will still get paid.

This is a stupid Farang rule that Thais have recently stupidly adopted

Let me express my sympathy for our slow news day.

Look, if you don't drink or don't mind the fact you can't drink today, don't worry. You've no dog in this fight. If you enjoy a beer on a Saturday night (or any other night of the week) you have a point. We are adults and like to be treated as such. There's no state of emergency or election, etc (and it's your right not to vote or write some stupid name on the ballot paper).

Religion should never dictate laws and rules in society. We use common sense for this. I'm sure there are many scenarios which could offer good reasons for an alcohol ban but religion is not one of them. If you're gonna ban alcohol in the name of lent or morality, you'd also have to actively and genuinely go after corrupt persons who steal from the people to gain for themselves. That's truly moral. 

This is nothing more than sanctimonious hypocrisy. 

Was at the beach yesterday. Forgot that it was Machaa Buccha day and when I ordered my usual beer I was refused. Then I saw many drinking beer and ask my vendor "why can they and I can't"? He replied that they bought it with them. They are allowed to drink while he is not allowed to sell. What a stupid law. Should the ban (if any) be on drinking not on selling?

Walked over to the local mom & pop shop and bought a beer. Not sure if I broke the law by buying beer but sure didn't by drinking it.

Was at the beach yesterday. Forgot that it was Machaa Buccha day and when I ordered my usual beer I was refused. Then I saw many drinking beer and ask my vendor "why can they and I can't"? He replied that they bought it with them. They are allowed to drink while he is not allowed to sell. What a stupid law. Should the ban (if any) be on drinking not on selling?

Walked over to the local mom & pop shop and bought a beer. Not sure if I broke the law by buying beer but sure didn't by drinking it.

Yes, alcohol cannot be sold but there is no law saying it cannot be consumed.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Which is what I said. It would have been better if you'd answered the question about 'buying it' rather than repeat the obvious.

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Which is what I said. It would have been better if you'd answered the question about 'buying it' rather than repeat the obvious.

Out in the countryside here most of the village shops were still selling alcohol.. and people openly buying and drinking it in full public view.  Also a few big parties going on with lot of booze.  I think most Thai people don't really believe in these rules.

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Out in the countryside here most of the village shops were still selling alcohol.. and people openly buying and drinking it in full public view.  Also a few big parties going on with lot of booze.  I think most Thai people don't really believe in these rules.

I think Thai people don't believe in any rules. No motorcycle helmets. Land encroachment. Dangerous driving. Gambling. Drug use. Corruption. Overloading vehicles with passengers and/or goods etc etc. The never ending list of common legal infringements made by the Thai populace. They just love anarchy as long as it benefits the self. The self and only the self is all that matters. Screw everybody else.

Had a beer while having dinner in a Japanese restaurant in Bangkok yesterday evening. They even pointed out the beers on the menu card.

Later, around midnight, when driving back home, we ran in to an alcohol checkpoint of Bangkok finest twice. My wife had to do the test twice as she was driving sober. I saw that many cars were pulled aside of the road for dui. So the Thai have been very hypocrite.  

2 hours ago, FredNL said:

Had a beer while having dinner in a Japanese restaurant in Bangkok yesterday evening. They even pointed out the beers on the menu card.

Later, around midnight, when driving back home, we ran in to an alcohol checkpoint of Bangkok finest twice. My wife had to do the test twice as she was driving sober. I saw that many cars were pulled aside of the road for dui. So the Thai have been very hypocrite.  

The ban was on selling NOT on drinking so it would be highly probable that there would be drivers under the influence. Why would your wife need to take the test twice if she was sober? Sorry but that bit makes even less sense than the rest of your message.

Sorry. I thought you meant it to be rhetorical or perhaps you were confused about the law. So, my answer would be "I don't care as I think banning either the sale or consumption of alcohol for religious reasons are both absurd". Hope this helps.

37 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sorry. I thought you meant it to be rhetorical or perhaps you were confused about the law. So, my answer would be "I don't care as I think banning either the sale or consumption of alcohol for religious reasons are both absurd". Hope this helps.

Not really

17 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Sorry about that. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer your question, although you might want to phrase it a little better if you want more cogent answers.

It was clear. It was you who misunderstood and just repeated what had already been said.

It was clear. It was you who misunderstood and just repeated what had already been said.

Well it was a pretty daft question, as shown by the complete lack of responses! Anyway, the Buddha day is over now, so alcohol is now available to both purchase and consume. Enjoy!

23 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Well it was a pretty daft question, as shown by the complete lack of responses! Anyway, the Buddha day is over now, so alcohol is now available to both purchase and consume. Enjoy!

Question wasn't daft your answers repeating what was already known were.

Lack of response: perhaps nobody, which includes you, knew the answer.