Bangkok public transport complaints: Taxis top list - refusing customers still champ!

rooster59

I think the key word here is Taxi ! are you a Taxi or not ? that is the question you have to ask them before you tell them you destination ! never mind if its a short fare or not or if he is ending his shift it comes with the territory and the job ! so tell him your destiny when you get in and if he says no then take a picture of his licence and report him directly ! obviously he doesn't want be a Taxi but a lot of others do ! so revoke his licence and make way for those who do ! 

this is very damaging to tourism on the whole and must be addressed asap ! do this and problem solved or put a higher tariff for very short distances if the customer accepts the tariff job done ! in my opinion 

39 minutes ago, Ian Maxwell said:

I think the key word here is Taxi ! are you a Taxi or not ? that is the question you have to ask them before you tell them you destination ! never mind if its a short fare or not or if he is ending his shift it comes with the territory and the job ! so tell him your destiny when you get in and if he says no then take a picture of his licence and report him directly ! obviously he doesn't want be a Taxi but a lot of others do ! so revoke his licence and make way for those who do ! 

this is very damaging to tourism on the whole and must be addressed asap ! do this and problem solved or put a higher tariff for very short distances if the customer accepts the tariff job done ! in my opinion 

30 minutes ago, Ian Maxwell said:

Yes you are right of course , the topic being " Taxi " but unless the traffic management of Bangkok changes / improves the taxi problem will remain.  The powers that be do not appear to be doing anything to improve matters and remove BKK as the most traffic congested city in the world . Taxi/bus lanes at specific hours , Congestion Charge as operated in London are just 2 ideas that actually work but  have never really been applied . Have you ever used Uber in BKK and got the same bad service of being refused ?

1 hour ago, superal said:

Yes you are right of course , the topic being " Taxi " but unless the traffic management of Bangkok changes / improves the taxi problem will remain.  The powers that be do not appear to be doing anything to improve matters and remove BKK as the most traffic congested city in the world . Taxi/bus lanes at specific hours , Congestion Charge as operated in London are just 2 ideas that actually work but  have never really been applied . Have you ever used Uber in BKK and got the same bad service of being refused ?

I tried Uber and was refused in Bangkok. I was going to Ayuthaya but still was refused when the driver arrived.

28 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I tried Uber and was refused in Bangkok. I was going to Ayuthaya but still was refused when the driver arrived.

I have never used Uber . Do you give your details , destination etc when ordering ? file a complaint when refused ? So what was the outcome , did you make your journey to Ayutthaya ?

4 minutes ago, superal said:

I have never used Uber . Do you give your details , destination etc when ordering ? file a complaint when refused ? So what was the outcome , did you make your journey to Ayutthaya ?

I went out and flagged down a cab. You enter your destination into the app but I don't know that the driver sees what it is. I think in the USA anyway the driver accepts the request blindly. No I don't complain but the charge appeared on my credit card until the app asked if it had been cancelled or whatever. 

If the guy wasn't prepared to go to Ayuthaya and didn't know where I was going I find the refusal to be reasonable. 

At the time I was pissed off though. I thought the driver sees the destination. If the trip is far Uber should give the driver a heads up.

Edited by anotheruser

You HAVE to put your destination into Uber. Drivers get to choose if they want the fare or not BEFORE they accept it. If you get refused, it's because the destination you want is probably not the one you selected.

I have never once had an Uber drive accept a journey and then turn up only to cancel it. 

You can assume that if a driver accepts a fare he is OK going where you want to go. If he comes and then changes his mind, you can simply report him, but I've never heard of it.

And don't forget GrabTaxi is also available if you want to book a taxi for a particular time.

54 minutes ago, Chicog said:

You HAVE to put your destination into Uber. Drivers get to choose if they want the fare or not BEFORE they accept it. If you get refused, it's because the destination you want is probably not the one you selected.

I have never once had an Uber drive accept a journey and then turn up only to cancel it. 

You can assume that if a driver accepts a fare he is OK going where you want to go. If he comes and then changes his mind, you can simply report him, but I've never heard of it.

And don't forget GrabTaxi is also available if you want to book a taxi for a particular time.

OK , so how do Uber & Grab perform in BKK say of on a Friday afternoon rush hour when asked to go to a destination through heavy traffic ? ( these are the times I have been refused ) . So am I right to say when you submit your request for a cab it is transmitted to cars in the area automatically and its up to them if they want the fare ?

5 hours ago, Chicog said:

I don't think that is the case. I put exactly where I was going into the app.  Either the driver didn't know or he did know and showed up anyway. I don't think he knew.

Edited by anotheruser

Two posters doubted my claim that taxi drivers refused to take me and my son. Well, in total tried about 6 or 7 taxis, trip distance would have been about 1-2 miles. Going from near royal palace to Phaya Thai station, and second time cannot remember where from  but also to Phaya Thai. After spending 10 minutes trying to flag down taxis, and getting 3 refusals in a row, would you keep on trying? Obviously quicker to walk.

All of you who never have a problem, either it is because it is outside of the central district, or your lying. Also, it was not during rush hour. Also a certain amount of racism could have been involved (son is part African).

On 13-2-2017 at 9:42 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe the standard complaint resolution technique here is to take the complaint, and toss it in the nearest trash can.  That usually seems to do the job quite nicely!!!

If there are tourists scammed badly it will be all over the interwebs and a crackdown can be expected.

2 weeks later it's all back to normal and they will continue to not use metres. TIT and this is how it goes for decades.

• 11 months later...

Got on to taxi at Chong Nonsi BRT station.8.00 pm 31/1/18.  Wanted to goto Surawong street  Amara hotel    only 5 mins ride away, he took me around  refused to use meter, and agreessively said he dont know where the road is. I wanted to get off, he wanted 100baht.I paid and ran to a nearby police hut.,in case he murders me. I ended walking to hotel 15 mins away.  Taxi no is 3127. (color mix red or brown with yellow   not sure at night) . BKK authority should tame these Taxi Thugs.  BAD for Thai image!!!!!!! or we won't come to Thailand anymore

Edited by StevenAsian
spelling