Juncker says Britain may divide EU over Brexit talks

rooster59

Juncker says Britain may divide EU over Brexit talks

By Joseph Nasr

640x640 (9).jpg

European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker attends a debate on the priorities of the incoming Malta Presidency of the EU for the next six months at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France, January 18, 2017. REUTERS/Christian Hartmann/File Photo

BERLIN (Reuters) - European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said he fears Britain will divide the European Union's 27 remaining members by making different promises to each country during its Brexit negotiations.

"The other EU 27 don't know it yet, but the Brits know very well how they can tackle this," Juncker told Deutschlandfunk radio. "They could promise country A this, country B that and country C something else and the end game is that there is not a united European front."

Britain will by the end of March trigger formal divorce talks with the EU, a major test for the bloc which is struggling to have a grip on other challenges like keeping Greece in the euro zone, the refugee crisis and the election of Donald Trump as U.S. president.

To add to all of that, the Netherlands, France and Germany are holding general elections this year, in which populist anti-EU parties are expected to make strong showings.

"Now everyone is saying in relation to Trump and Brexit: 'Now is Europe's big chance. Now is the time to close ranks and march together,'" Juncker said in the radio interview which will be aired on Sunday.

"I wish it will be like this, but will it happen? I have some doubt. Because the Brits will manage without big effort to divide the remaining 27 member states."

His warning echoed remarks by German Chancellor Angela Merkel at an EU summit in Bratislava last year aimed at finding a way forward after Britain's vote to leave, that the bloc is in a critical situation.

Juncker said one area where the remaining 27 could improve cooperation was defence. Britain and France are the only EU countries with nuclear arsenals.

Juncker, who will host U.S. Vice President Mike Pence in Brussels next weekend, said a protectionist trade policy by the Trump administration would be an opportunity for the EU to forge new trade alliances.

"It would be a change that we have to use," Juncker said. "And we should not allow the Brits to pursue trade deals now with others because they are not allowed to do so."

He added that as long as Britain was in the bloc, the European Commission was in charge of negotiating trade deals.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-12

I think the only thing Juncker is botherd about is whether or not he will have a job in the next few years.  Maybe if he didn't try and rule other sovereign countries by telling them what they can and can not do, then the UK promising country A this, country B that and country C something else might be good for the EU.

Juncker stated "And we should not allow the Brits to pursue trade deals now with others because they are not allowed to do so." :cheesy: .  I am afraid we will do what we like...the only reason the rule of "you can not do trade deals with anyone else until you are out of the EU" is to try and stop you leaving.  Get over it Juncker 

I hope they do and sew some mistrust to help the EU on its way south, so that ultimately waste of space Eurocrats (yes, you too Schultz, Tusk and Van Rompuy) lose their prestige and power. Every time they open their trap it pisses off member states (esp those that are putting in).

2 hours ago, Caps said:

I think the only thing Juncker is botherd about is whether or not he will have a job in the next few years.  Maybe if he didn't try and rule other sovereign countries by telling them what they can and can not do, then the UK promising country A this, country B that and country C something else might be good for the EU.

Juncker stated "And we should not allow the Brits to pursue trade deals now with others because they are not allowed to do so." :cheesy: .  I am afraid we will do what we like...the only reason the rule of "you can not do trade deals with anyone else until you are out of the EU" is to try and stop you leaving.  Get over it Juncker 

Here's what Matthew Parris says in today's Times (as reported in today's 'Australian'): "Remainers and Leavers alike seriously overestimate the capacity of the EU to reach any common negotiating position at all. We talk about what “Brussels” will “offer” as though it had a mind and personality; as though it were capable of willing a particular result. Brexiteers, who have conjured in their imaginations a menacing beast, may be forgiven this mistake. Remainers like me, who surely understand the feebleness, incompetence and incoherence of the European project, with its need to keep everyone on board, should know better."

Can someone please explain why this man is still in his job? He presided over one of the most important members of the EU voting to leave. That means he failed totally in his duty to preside over a united, content and prosperous union!

Cameron resigned and I cannot understand why this joker didn't also do the honourable thing.

12 minutes ago, Jeddah Jo said:

Can someone please explain why this man is still in his job? He presided over one of the most important members of the EU voting to leave. That means he failed totally in his duty to preside over a united, content and prosperous union!

Cameron resigned and I cannot understand why this joker didn't also do the honourable thing.

Because he was elected only by the heads of government of the EU nation states, not as leader of any popular party or movement that had to face an electorate of any significance. In fact Cameron opposed his election

Nothing new about this "warning".

Britain has historically sought to sow dissent on the European continent as without it she could not prosper and, later, achieve a measure of hegemony.

But that was when Britain was on the "up".  The world is a very different place now and (although it will not be admitted) the proposed departure from the Union is part of the continuing "down" that Britain has been on since the imperial catastrophe of WW2.

Britain is slowly working it's way towards a modernised form of pre-nationhood (post-nationhood?), similar to the beloved, mythologised, non-national world of the (pre-Danish/Norman)....... Anglo-Saxon kingdoms in Britain.  A relatively shortlived, fragmented, combatative world of semi-tribal allegiances and antagonisms.  A world which was ripe for the Danish/Norman invasions.

This is just a reminder from Juncker.  Modern, educated, European politicians and diplomats are well aware of Britains track-record, it's true status, and of the fact that they hold all the cards.

Even though a tragically large number of (for now) "British" people are not.

Edited by Enoon

18 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Nothing new about this "warning".

Britain has historically sought to sow dissent on the European continent as without it she could not prosper and, later, achieve a measure of hegemony.

But that was when Britain was on the "up".  The world is a very different place now and (although it will not be admitted) the proposed departure from the Union is part of the continuing "down" that Britain has been on since the imperial catastrophe of WW2.

Britain is slowly working it's way towards a modernised form of pre-nationhood (post-nationhood?), similar to the beloved, mythologised, world of the (pre-Danish/Norman)....... Anglo-Saxons.  A relatively shortlived, fragmented, combatative world of semi-tribal allegiances and antagonisms.  A world which was ripe for the Danish/Norman invasions.

This is just a reminder from Juncker.  Modern, educated, European politicians and diplomats are well aware of Britains track-record, it's true status, and of the fact that they hold all the cards.

Even though a tragically large number of (for now) "British" people are not.

absolute and utter nonsense, it will be shown in the not too distant future that the UK would have done a lot better than being raped and pillaged by the Germans and French these last 4 decades, if they had left the common market as it was originally intended - the EU wouldn't be in the mess it is now - and it is in a mess, an unworkable power grabbing debacle that urgently needs to hit the reset button. DC as much as told them that and they wouldn't listen, even the architects of both the common market and the single currency are say as much

A prime example is Greece - explain to me how it is working for them or how it will ever work for them 

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

absolute and utter nonsense, it will be shown in the not too distant future that the UK would have done a lot better than being raped and pillaged by the Germans and French these last 4 decades, if they had left the common market as it was originally intended - the EU wouldn't be in the mess it is now - and it is in a mess, an unworkable power grabbing debacle that urgently needs to hit the reset button. DC as much as told them that and they wouldn't listen, even the architects of both the common market and the single currency are say as much

A prime example is Greece - explain to me how it is working for them or how it will ever work for them 

Your knowledge of the history of the EU and the effect on the UK is embarrassing. Just leave. Now.

As as far as Greece is concerned, the Dracma/Euro valuation was clearly incorrect. I do think will be changes to Euro, Schengen and other matters. But that is of no interest to you or the UK now.

Of course these unelected Eurocrats are worried, the cat is out of the bag with the population of europe, they are finally realising that the EEC in its present form is run by the banksters for the banksters, not for the people in any way, shape or form... The last thing that they want is the people having any say in what happens. Ask the Greeks.....   :bah:

55 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Your knowledge of the history of the EU and the effect on the UK is embarrassing. Just leave. Now.

As as far as Greece is concerned, the Dracma/Euro valuation was clearly incorrect. I do think will be changes to Euro, Schengen and other matters. But that is of no interest to you or the UK now.

Correct! It's of no interest to the UK now. Thank goodness.

46 minutes ago, Grouse said:

really ?

so you know different then - go ahead and have a go

as for Greece - it has nothing to do with the value of the Euro, it is all to do with the Greece economy, the Euro suits industrial power houses like Germany and France and as you cycle through the rest of the member countries some are surviving but only just others are not too far behind Greece for exactly the same reasons, and Scotland would equally shafted if they tried to go it alone, they would never qualify for EU membership, and as a lone entity """"with their own Currency"""""  which they would have to create as sterling would not be an option and without the UK providing jobs (which they wouldn't) - what exactly has Scotland got going for it ? midges and whisky

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

That is a lame excuse if ever there was one! Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain should never have joined the Euro. Even France fudged the issue to qualify to join, so it was never on a solid footing from the start.

It amazes  me that with all that is going on in the EU with elections this year that remainer's think there will be an EU worth being a member of. 

Junker is even now trying to blame the UK for the EU's failings over the decades. These people aren't even able to admit their failings. 

The EU is a failed project.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Ignoring the first para. (attacking the poster rather than the post.... edit - not to mention the arrogance, condescension etc. mentioned by a poster in another thread....), I'm assuming the second para. is basically agreeing that brexit (along with the EU's other problems) is going to finally force change?

The dracma/euro valuation was not just "incorrect"... -  it was ridiculous, and ordinary Greeks are now paying the price.

Edited by dick dasterdly

1 hour ago, smedly said:

, and Scotland would equally shafted if they tried to go it alone, they would never qualify for EU membership, and as a lone entity """"with their own Currency"""""  which they would have to create as sterling would not be an option and without the UK providing jobs (which they wouldn't) - what exactly has Scotland got going for it ? midges and whisky

Scotland is the leading supplier of Trades Union officials to the UK...

Because he was elected only by the heads of government of the EU nation states, not as leader of any popular party or movement that had to face an electorate of any significance. In fact Cameron opposed his election

Or maybe he didn't resign because...

i) You would need honour and a level of humility to accept you failed at your job and he has neither.

ii) He never regarded the UK as an important member of the EU so while happy to take their money he never actually cared what they thought or heaven forbid important enough to consider their departure a failure of his leadership.

iii) He is happy to use Brexit as an excuse for even more Europe thereby securing his position and gaining even more power while trying his best to screw over the Brits in the process.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

really ?

so you know different then - go ahead and have a go

as for Greece - it has nothing to do with the value of the Euro, it is all to do with the Greece economy, the Euro suits industrial power houses like Germany and France and as you cycle through the rest of the member countries some are surviving but only just others are not too far behind Greece for exactly the same reasons, and Scotland would equally shafted if they tried to go it alone, they would never qualify for EU membership, and as a lone entity """"with their own Currency"""""  which they would have to create as sterling would not be an option and without the UK providing jobs (which they wouldn't) - what exactly has Scotland got going for it ? midges and whisky

I decline to explain the entire history though much of it is discussed on this web site

When Greece joined the Euro, the financial data was cooked up by GS and the Drachma valuation was over cooked.

I agree that the Euro value today is not the issue.

I do believe that Scotland could become a small independent northern european country and do rather well.

England, should just snuggle up to that nice Mr Trump and enjoy the ensuing bloodbath and the enslavement of the average working man 

I personally would not be happy to run a company where the books are not audited and signed off for one year.

The EUs books have never been signed off for the past 24 years.  

There is much graft and corruption going on.

Roll on 31st March.

PS sorry for the lack of apostrophes but my computer has lost them.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Ignoring the first para. (attacking the poster rather than the post.... edit - not to mention the arrogance, condescension etc. mentioned by a poster in another thread....), I'm assuming the second para. is basically agreeing that brexit (along with the EU's other problems) is going to finally force change?

The dracma/euro valuation was not just "incorrect"... -  it was ridiculous, and ordinary Greeks are now paying the price.

The Euro and several other issues require change and this will happen if only to avoid brittle fracture

I meant my first paragraph quite literally. If people cannot be bothered to educate themselves then I am not going to explain everything in easily digestible pieces. Im not being arrogant; Im being lazy.

United Kingdom GDP

I think the UK has done rather well since joining in 1975

Yes, Markets in the rest of the world are growing more quickly and, as a result, EU share of our exports is less than in was 10 years ago.

I think the UK has done rather well since joining in 1975

Yes, Markets in the rest of the world are growing more quickly and, as a result, EU share of our exports is less than in was 10 years ago.

As a free trading entity yes. But why do we need all the integration with shared laws?

I want my own elected politicians to make my laws even if it's the party i didn't vote in.

Faceless lefties in Belgium (a non country ) are not the leaders i have in mind.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, englishinsiam said:

As a free trading entity yes. But why do we need all the integration with shared laws?

I want my own elected politicians to make my laws even if it's the party i didn't vote in.

Faceless lefties in Belgium (a non country ) are not the leaders i have in mind.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

As stated in the recent white paper, we never had less than parliamentary sovereignty (although sometimes it didn't seem like that)

Yes EU democracy needs significant improvement but exaggeration is unhelpful. It's easy to read up how the various processes operate.

For me, ON BALANCE, the EU was and is a force for good and we gained much from being a member in many ways.

Now, we are leaving. So let's get on with it swiftly and quietly and maintain friendships. Wishing others harm, hoping for the collapse of the EU and insinuating nothing good came of it is churlish.

Finally, you may come to rue the day the liberal world order ended and became replaced with nationalism. It worries me ?

6 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Here's what Matthew Parris says in today's Times (as reported in today's 'Australian'): "Remainers and Leavers alike seriously overestimate the capacity of the EU to reach any common negotiating position at all. We talk about what “Brussels” will “offer” as though it had a mind and personality; as though it were capable of willing a particular result. Brexiteers, who have conjured in their imaginations a menacing beast, may be forgiven this mistake. Remainers like me, who surely understand the feebleness, incompetence and incoherence of the European project, with its need to keep everyone on board, should know better."

One does wonder if he" surely understands the feebleness, incompetence and incoherence of the European project", quite why is he so keen to remain part of it?

1 hour ago, Nurseynutcase said:

I personally would not be happy to run a company where the books are not audited and signed off for one year.

The EUs books have never been signed off for the past 24 years.  

There is much graft and corruption going on.

Roll on 31st March.

PS sorry for the lack of apostrophes but my computer has lost them.

Yes, but if you were running such a company the shareholders could, and probably would, oust you.

But Mr  Juncker, and the other "modern, educated, European politicians and diplomats" are not beholden to any one. They are not elected in any meaningful way. They show utter scorn for the very idea - they are " modern, educated, European politicians and diplomats ".  That is, for me, the nub of the matter, and why I want the UK out.

17 minutes ago, JAG said:

One does wonder if he" surely understands the feebleness, incompetence and incoherence of the European project", quite why is he so keen to remain part of it?

Presumably because - as seems to me entirely reasonable - he thinks the project worth fighting for, despite its manifest failures & weaknesses. One can argue that Britain's departure will be the best thing that can happen to the EU: get rid of an obviously unenthusiastic member + force all the remaining members towards major reform.

In any case, we should have a fair idea of the outcomes on both sides of the Channel by the middle of the next decade ...

2 hours ago, Jeddah Jo said:

Or maybe he didn't resign because...

i) You would need honour and a level of humility to accept you failed at your job and he has neither.

ii) He never regarded the UK as an important member of the EU so while happy to take their money he never actually cared what they thought or heaven forbid important enough to consider their departure a failure of his leadership.

iii) He is happy to use Brexit as an excuse for even more Europe thereby securing his position and gaining even more power while trying his best to screw over the Brits in the process.

Is this a multiple choice question?