Any Chance To Catch A Flight?

Siwanan

Hello!

I haven't been to Suvarnabhumi yet, so I need some advise if anyone can help.

My relatives are flying from Europe next week. They will arrive to Bangkok at 10.55 and their Air Asia flight to Chiang Mai departures at 12.50. They have to pick up luggage between the flights.

As I don't know how things work in Suvarnabhumi, I can not tell them is it possible to catch Air Asia flight or not!

What do You think?

Thanks!

I think it is very tight.

Assuming their flight arrives on time, they must still go through immigration, then collect their bags. Then go out in the public area, and check in for the Air Asia flight, as Air Asia do not do connections. The Air Asia check in closes 45 minutes before departure.

So, if the arrival is not late, they have only just over an hour to taxi to taxi to the gate, get off, walk to immigration, queue, collect luggage, and find the Air Asia check-in.

I wish them luck but don't be too surprised if they don't make it....

Cheers,

Mike

Why don't you get them to book luggage through to Chiang Mai?

You cannot do that if the connecting flight is with AirAsia. The budget carriers generally do not have interline baggage agreements and AirAsia is no exception.

I think they'll be okay. I made many two hour connections at Don Muang from an arriving international flight to a domestic AirAsia flight. And that was with having to connect between international and domestic terminals. Everything is in the same building at the new airport. The only potential hangup I picture at Suvarnabhumi is how long it takes to collect the bags from the arriving flight.

Why don't you get them to book luggage through to Chiang Mai?

Dont think Air Asia do luggage booked through other carriers.

Tell origin check in of tight times mark luggage priority, ask on the plane if they can get off with Business Class because of tight connection times, that should help and book seats before near front section near Business to help request. After Exit Luggage and Customs on level 2 Arrivals they go up to level 4 Departures and go to left side check-ins as they come on floor for Air Asia check in.

Ticket is not guaranteed if you miss check in time by a few minutes, depends on class of ticket, check but they might have to buy new tickets on next flight if cheapo ticket bought.

As for airport get them ready with this help.

Boxers Airport Guide

http://www.boxertravels.net/airport/index.htm

Edited by Boxer

Hello!

I haven't been to Suvarnabhumi yet, so I need some advise if anyone can help.

My relatives are flying from Europe next week. They will arrive to Bangkok at 10.55 and their Air Asia flight to Chiang Mai departures at 12.50. They have to pick up luggage between the flights.

As I don't know how things work in Suvarnabhumi, I can not tell them is it possible to catch Air Asia flight or not!

What do You think?

Thanks!

I think it is very risky at best but it is not impossible to make it.

Arrival at 10:55 means touch down of the aircraft which must then taxi to a gate. You need to disembark then walk to immigration, pick-up bags, go through customs, go 2 floors up to departure and be at check-in desk before 12:05 (as Air Asia closed check-in 45 minutes before departure time irrelevant of the delay of the actual departure).

This means 70 minutes from touch down of aircraft from Europe to check-in counter on 4th floor.

As I said it all depends on so much factors indpendant of your own good will.

- Time of actual touch down

- Time to taxi from touch down to gate

- Distance from gate to immigration (can be as short as 5 minutes or as long as 20-25)

- Immigration queues (generaly fast)

- Time for bags to appear on carousel

- Time of eventual custom check (very seldom)

From customs to check-in should not take more than 5-10 minutes

Good luck

- Eventual custom check