1 day overstay and extension

So my visa is on its last day, so i headed down to Patong office as usual this morning to extend it. Turned out its closed because its still holiday.

So will this cause any problems when i go down there tomorrow? Will they only extend it for 7 days for me to leave the country compared to the normal 30 days one get on the tourist visa?

Will it give me problems making a new touristvisa in Penang?

I know about the laws and i know they become stricter last years(therefor i previously avoided overstaying) so spare me what it says on paper since i know that already and tell me about your experiences with this kind of stuff post- 2016 and what you guys personally think about it.

Regards

Since the office was closed today you will not pay for an overstay if you go tomorrow to get the extension.

You don't have to wait for the last day to apply for the extension since it will start from the date you current stay ends.

Thanks for the awnsers, makes me worry less. I dont mind paying the fine but it would suck if had to leave the country in a few days since im having a freediving course coming up next week!

It wont affect my possible for getting a new Tourist visa in Penang next month either?

Edited by Okis

You are not considered as being on an overstay since immigration was closed on the date your permit to stay ended.

You will not even get an overstay stamp if you apply for the extension tomorrow.

It will not affect you getting another visa.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So a update. The people at the immigration office said it was a non issue, i didnt have to pay a fine but they did however put a stamp saying 1 days overstay on public holiday.

But when i was one on my way out from Phuket this week the IO in the departing immigration started mumbling something, i didnt understand and he told me that i need to go aside to see some other officers.

There they scared the shit out of me saying they couldnt find the extension in the database and that i now had a 20 days overstay. The last part about the days of overstay did however calm me down slightly since it simply didnt make any sense since the extension was for 30 days and i left on the final day of that extension. One of them then asked me if i could speak thai and i awnsered "no, i just know tiny bit" and then they started talking among eachother, grinning and kind of laughing. After a short while they then started asking me the usual "are you working here illegally" questions and i told what my work is and they suddenly dropped everything, stamped my passport and told me i could go. When i asked about the whole thing about the extension and if that was a usual problem they were very uninterested in talking more about it.

I guess it was just a reason to take me aside and question me about what i do for a living, but i most say that was a really a-hole thing since i got really scared before i realized what it was all about.

Im about to enter thailand by airport again this week with a 60 day SETV and i have prepared with onward tickets and the 20k just in case. But to be honest im scared to shit anyway because of what has been going on lately and all my diving and fishing equipment is in a condo in Thailand.

Edited by Okis
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Okis said:

Im about to enter thailand by airport again this week with a 60 day SETV and i have prepared with onward tickets and the 20k just in case. But to be honest im scared to shit anyway because of what has been going on lately and all my diving and fishing equipment is in a condo in Thailand.

It depends which airport you are entering as to whether they may try to hassle you again. IMHO Phuket airport immigration is to be avoided. There are too many reports of odd behavior by immigration there. If you have the option of entering Thailand through Suvarnabhumi and using a domestic flight to return to Phuket, that would probably be best.

• Like 1

So a update. The people at the immigration office said it was a non issue, i didnt have to pay a fine but they did however put a stamp saying 1 days overstay on public holiday.

Can you please upload a copy of this overstay stamp? Blur/black out any identfying info.