Quiet Pool/Billiard Hall near Sukhumvit...?

OliverKlozerof

Answer is probably no, but just for laughs... Anyone know of a pool (billiards in UK?) hall somewhere near Sukhumvit BTS line (or Asoke Rd, etc.), that doesn't play hip-hop or similar thumping music? Complete silence is best. As you probably know if you've been in the country for long, in many, if not most establishments, the 'audio entertainment' seems to be mainly for the staff, not the clientele.

I do realize that background sound is far more important to me than most people. I guess it's a result of 1) being a musician all my life and having done a lot of detailed audio transcription work and, 2) being an inflexible old curmudgeon who thinks music should feature thoughtful melody, harmony, dynamics, lyrics, etc.

A friend recently came to town who likes to play pool. I do, too. But I refuse to play in places with the typical 'audio entertainment.'

Hustlers in the basement of Time Square next to the Sheraton and Sports Academy on the opposite side of the road in the Ruamchit Hotel Building, 1st floor, next to the Sofitel both play music discreetly that won't bother you.  The Sportsman in The Trendy Building, Soi 13 will probably suit also. 

You won't find any pool bars in that area with no music, for that you'll need to go to a Thai snooker hall and there aren't any of them on Sukhumvit

On 13.2.2017 at 6:33 PM, gdgbb said:

Hustlers in the basement of Time Square next to the Sheraton and Sports Academy on the opposite side of the road in the Ruamchit Hotel Building, 1st floor, next to the Sofitel both play music discreetly that won't bother you.  The Sportsman in The Trendy Building, Soi 13 will probably suit also. 

You won't find any pool bars in that area with no music, for that you'll need to go to a Thai snooker hall and there aren't any of them on Sukhumvit

re snooker and Sukh

I have seen signs pointing to a snooker bar on top of Sukh soi 3,

when you enter soi 3 coming from Petchaburi its on your right immediately after you have crossed the Saen Saeb canal.

16 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

re snooker and Sukh

I have seen signs pointing to a snooker bar on top of Sukh soi 3,

when you enter soi 3 coming from Petchaburi its on your right immediately after you have crossed the Saen Saeb canal.

Isn't he looking for a pool bar, in Sukhumvit?

19 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

I thought so, the place I mention is in Soi 3 Sukhumvit

You recommended a snooker hall (that you obviously have no experience of) nearer to Petchaburi Road than to Sukhumvit.  He was looking for a pool hall near to Sukhumvit BTS/Asoke.

45 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

You recommended a snooker hall (that you obviously have no experience of) nearer to Petchaburi Road than to Sukhumvit.  He was looking for a pool hall near to Sukhumvit BTS/Asoke.

I haven't recommended anything. I just offered an observation.

(thought snooker was covered by the term billiards, but maybe I'm wrong)

Anyway, there is a pool hall just off Sukhumvit on the side with even numbered sois,

between soi 10 and Asoke.

It has quite a few tables. It is not easily spotted from Sukhumvit although its only 50-60 meters from Sukhumvit.

Its not in a soi, so you have to stick your head into some backyards to find it.

I have only been there afternoon/late afternoon, then it has been pretty quiet.

26 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Anyway, there is a pool hall just off Sukhumvit on the side with even numbered sois,

It has quite a few tables. It is not easily spotted from Sukhumvit although its only 50-60 meters from Sukhumvit.

Its not in a soi, so you have to stick your head into some backyards to find it.

He specifically asked for information about pool, not snooker.

The place you are referring to is The Players, directly under Asoke BTS station. 

The title of my post is Quiet Pool/Billiard Hall near Sukhumvit, so yeah, I did mention billiards. And Petchburi road is really not that far from Sukhumvit. I've been to all the usual places--Hustler's, Players, Sports Academy...not for a year or more, but they all had music that was unpredictable at best. I've know about Sportsman's on Soi 13, but somehow forgot about it. Also interesting to hear about New Wave on 7/1. 
I didn't know the difference between a pool table and snooker table, so looked it up:

http://www.pooltableplans.com/pool_vs snooker.htm

We always just play 8 Ball, but it's still interesting to know about these snooker clubs. If I learned the rules, maybe I'd enjoy it? Maybe some of the snooker clubs also have regular pool tables?

While I'm at it, I just looked up the difference between what Yanks like me call "pool" and "billiards":

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-pool-and-billiards

Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for all your input.

All Of Her Clothes 'Re Off

19 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Where's Breakers? I think I've been there. Soi 4?

Maybe you mix Breakers and Striker?

Striker Bar has pool tables and is now located in its 3rd location in Soi 4.

It is now just underneath the swimming pool in Nana Hotel.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, melvinmelvin said:

you are wrong

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

you are wrong

that may well be

btw

Webster's and Ecycolopedia  Brittanica and a range of other well reserched resources are crystal clear that the term

billiards covers pool, snooker and a range of other cue/ball games

but surely, you know better than those

enjoy your cue/ball game knowledge

and enjoy your week end with your superiority knowledge of cue/ball games

Edited by melvinmelvin

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

that may well be

btw

Webster's and Ecycolopedia  Brittanica and a range of other well reserched resources are crystal clear that the term

billiards covers pool, snooker and a range of other cue/ball games

but surely, you know better than those

enjoy your cue/ball game knowledge

and enjoy your week end with your superiority knowledge of cue/ball games

At least I have played both games, know the difference and don't need to look in Webster's or Ecycolopedia  Brittanica

I'm with you on the music. You won't find a reliably quiet place to play. Not a chance. Maybe some tolerable songs if you are lucky and then some techno or pop crap will come on.  And someone will inevitably turn the sound up just when you think it's at a  bearable volume. There's hardly a restaurant or bar I can tolerate here.  I'm overly sensitive to bad music played too loud and I live here.  Difficult combination. 

I too hate the loud crap music played everywhere.  It's ruins bars and restaurants and even in places where music is appropriate such as go go bars the banging house, UDM, EP, Techno, EDM is garbage.  Yes-snooker halls should be quiet calm places.  You have my sympathy.  A whole generation of Thais have lost their musical way. The MTV generation have been bought up on black urban music which currently is dismal. 

19 hours ago, ricklev said:

I'm with you on the music. You won't find a reliably quiet place to play. Not a chance. Maybe some tolerable songs if you are lucky and then some techno or pop crap will come on.  And someone will inevitably turn the sound up just when you think it's at a  bearable volume. There's hardly a restaurant or bar I can tolerate here.  I'm overly sensitive to bad music played too loud and I live here.  Difficult combination. 

Agreed 

• 4 weeks later...

Great Italian meal with a couple bottles of wine with friends down Sukh Soi 15 couple nights ago. We all like pool, so swung over to Soi 13 coming back. They both were well aware of my aversion to techno, "thump" garbage (whatever you want to call it). Open the door of each pool bar we come across long enough to hear what's playing. Sportsman's upstairs: nope. Two pool bars with almost same name further down in Trendy building: mai chai. Last chance: Breakers. Song playing when we walk in is (barely) tolerable. I'm not hopeful, but tell the waitress (my Thai's not great, but sufficient for this), about my intolerance for thumping "music." She assures me they won't be playing anything like that. We get through one game of Cutthroat (3-way pool). One audio offering that almost made me stick my pool cue through the window has the imbecilic, auto-tune chorus "bee-oo-tee-ful girl...suicidal, suicidal." My friend tries to calm me down: 'It's just one song, relax.' And then comes the thump. I gesture the waitress over: "I thought you said there'd be no thump?" She points over toward the bar and says she told "Pi" about my request. In other words, the unsurprising result that nobody actually gives a fark. I utter an expletive not exactly under my breath as I hand my friend a 100 for my soda water and bid them adieu. Maybe I'll try researching the 'snooker clubs' at some point. I'm not optimistic. Would be great if those of us who care banded together and got some club to have a private night for those who hate audible garbage. Anyone?

Edited by OliverKlozerof
left out a word

Me and same Italian friend drank a couple liters of beer each at the Tawandang German Brewery on Rama 3 the other night, then taxied back to Asoke. Just before getting on the BTS, I told him I was going to go peep in Hustler's, to see what sort of music they were playing, and he said he'd come along. We actually just made it to Player's (right under the BTS station on the even-numbered side of Sukhumvit), and discovered, surprisingly, that there was no thump, thump, thump playing, and what was playing was so quiet that I wasn't even sure anything was (and my ears are over-developed). So, we went ahead and played a few games until I really had to leave to catch the train before it stopped.
Well, because of that "success," last night he and another friend invited me to meet them at Player's again for pool. Unfortunately, about 1 minute after I entered, here comes the "thump" music again, and the music was louder than last time. I let them play and took my drink outside. A few minutes later I walk up to Hustler's to check the music situation. Not "thumping," but modern garbage in the same vein. My "solution" was to put in my ear buds and go back and join my friends at Player's. Because the volume there was low, it worked; I could take them out occasionally when a decent song was playing. I eventually relaxed a bit and started to almost enjoy playing. But I really hate being forced to isolate myself from conversing with friends by having earphones on.