Trump dismisses Russia controversy as 'scam' by hostile media

webfact

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Yeah, the media is awful and getting worse every year. In the US it is an ever more concentrated oligopoly and only a fraction of the totality of ideas and viewpoints are presented in the media, which is not healthy for a strong democracy. Media conglomerates serve the interests of media conglomerates, not the citizens of a democratic society.

http://www.globalissues.org/article/159/media-conglomerates-mergers-concentration-of-ownership

I don't agree with this.  There has always been only a few big media sites in the US.  Before CNN, it was ABC, NBC and CBS.  Then CNN, then others like Fox, etc.  Yes, they are the biggies.  But probably no different than any other country.  As for other ideas and viewpoints, there are hundreds of thousands of other sites that cater to a wide variety of viewpoints and ideas. 

From your link:

The idea of corporate media itself may not be a bad thing, for it can foster healthy competition and provide a check against governments.

Global conglomerates can at times have a progressive impact on culture, especially when they enter nations that had been tightly controlled by corrupt crony media systems (as in much of Latin America) or nations that had significant state censorship over media (as in parts of Asia). The global commercial-media system is radical in that it will respect no tradition or custom, on balance, if it stands in the way of profits. But ultimately it is politically conservative, because the media giants are significant beneficiaries of the current social structure around the world, and any upheaval in property or social relations—particularly to the extent that it reduces the power of business—is not in their interest.

6 hours ago, iReason said:

The fact that you consider Rednecks as a "race",

grandly illustrates your own ignorance.

:coffee1:

Anger issues?

the terms are not exactly racist — they're been racialized over time, but have classist origins. However, in America, racism and classism overlap to such a high degree, that understanding the difference can get a little murky at times

https://mic.com/articles/153865/are-the-terms-cracker-redneck-and-white-trash-racist-franchesca-ramsey-explains#.dTbvXeNAA

3 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I don't agree with this.  There has always been only a few big media sites in the US.  Before CNN, it was ABC, NBC and CBS.  Then CNN, then others like Fox, etc.  Yes, they are the biggies.  But probably no different than any other country.  As for other ideas and viewpoints, there are hundreds of thousands of other sites that cater to a wide variety of viewpoints and ideas. 

From your link:

Then we're going to have to disagree, despite your cherry picked quote. You will find quotes in the paper stating the exact opposite as well. It is the understanding that the corporate interests of the media only sometimes coincide with the interests of the populace that is relevant. Most stories never, ever get told, because they don't meet the interests of the corporate media or their advertisers. And don't kid yourself, the media is LOVING what Trump is doing for their latest quarterly earnings.

9 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Then we're going to have to disagree, despite your cherry picked quote. You will find quotes in the paper stating the exact opposite as well. It is the understanding that the corporate interests of the media only sometimes coincide with the interests of the populace that is relevant. Most stories never, ever get told, because they don't meet the interests of the corporate media or their advertisers. And don't kid yourself, the media is LOVING what Trump is doing for their latest quarterly earnings.

What are some of those stories that "never, ever get told"?

For decades the media has been co-opted by the politicians to present a certain message to the sheeple.

Mr Trump has upset this arrangement so they are a bit pissed. They are embarrassing themselves since the majority  of his supporters just tune it out. That's why he has to conduct his own rallies still, to make sure his word gets out to the people.

21 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

100% agree with your last comment.  These guys are businesses.  Out to make money.  How do they do that?  Publish what they think people will read/watch.  As I've said before, do an article on crabgrass in St. Louis, and nobody will watch.  Thus, advertisers won't pay money for their ads.  Do an article about the president lying during a press conference, and the public is all over that.  Yes, they profit off it.

P.S. I'm not a big fan of CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, etc.  I like CNN for pure news reports only.  I also get these feeds from Reuters.  I'm not into opinion pieces.  I just want the facts. 

12 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

For decades the media has been co-opted by the politicians to present a certain message to the sheeple.

Mr Trump has upset this arrangement so they are a bit pissed. They are embarrassing themselves since the majority of his supporters just tune it out. That's why he has to conduct his own rallies still, to make sure his word gets out to the people.

The media is pissed because he calls them horrible names and says they only do fake news! LOL

The "word" he gets out to his people is mainly lies.  He's not good at telling the truth.  He feeds these sheeple what they want to hear.  He's a great salesman and conman.  And some lap it up.

Mr Trump has upset this arrangement so they are a bit pissed. They are embarrassing themselves since the majority of his supporters just tune it out. That's why he has to conduct his own rallies still, to make sure his word gets out to the people.

Yes, he sure has upset the arrangement: he is telling lies and does not like it when the media call him out on that.

That is all there is to this.

23 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

What are some of those stories that "never, ever get told"?

Citizen's United, Term Limits, Campaign Finance Reform, Curtailment Of Lobbyists, Regulator/Regulated Revolving Door, Agency Capture, The Counter Argument to ZIRP, Universal Healthcare, How Immigration differs today than in the past and does that matter? Is it in a democratic nation's interest to concentrate media ownership in an ever smaller number of mega corporations hands?  I could go on and on. 

24 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Mr Trump has upset this arrangement so they are a bit pissed. They are embarrassing themselves since the majority 

of his supporters just tune it out. Thats why he has to conduct his own rallies still, to make sure his word gets out to the people.

I disagree. They act out of their own self interest and that interest sometimes coincides with popular opinion. More often than not it seeks to shape popular opinion.

22 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

100% agree with your last comment.  These guys are businesses.  Out to make money.  How do they do that?  Publish what they think people will read/watch.  As I've said before, do an article on crabgrass in St. Louis, and nobody will watch.  Thus, advertisers won't pay money for their ads.  Do an article about the president lying during a press conference, and the public is all over that.  Yes, they profit off it.

P.S. I'm not a big fan of CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, etc.  I like CNN for pure news reports only.  I also get these feeds from Reuters.  I'm not into opinion pieces.  I just want the facts. 

Where does one just get "the facts" anymore? Almost every piece is an opinion piece anymore, though few are described as such. Don't get me wrong,I like opinion pieces too .... on the Op/Ed page.

Trump wants to delegimitise the press so that when they criticise him, it goes unnoticed.

It has already worked with the vacuous individuals that blindly support him.

And there will be others that start believing him if the media keep repeating his message.

Straight out of the Edward Bernays playbook, only this time it's Bannon not Goebbels.

6 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Trump wants to delegimitise the press so that when they criticise him, it goes unnoticed.

And there will be others that start believing him if the media keep repeating his message.

Straight out of the Edward Bernays playbook, only this time it's Bannon not Goebbels.

I think this comes the closest to explaining Trump's ongoing relationship with the press. He's using them, just like they're using him.

http://www.mauldineconomics.com/editorial/friedman-heres-the-real-reason-trump-does-foreign-policy-in-public

15 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Citizen's United, Term Limits, Campaign Finance Reform, Curtailment Of Lobbyists, Regulator/Regulated Revolving Door, Agency Capture, The Counter Argument to ZIRP, Universal Healthcare, How Immigration differs today than in the past and does that matter? Is it in a democratic nation's interest to concentrate media ownership in an ever smaller number of mega corporations hands?  I could go on and on. 

BS.  Here's just one topic being reported on by every news agency.  Term limits.  As Tapper from CNN said the other day.  They'd love to talk about this stuff.  Trump's antics are prohibiting that.  How about Trump focus on this instead of trying to ban Muslims?  Great sound bite for some Americans, but not what the US really needs right now.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/full-video-trump-gives-specifics-on-congressional-term-limits/

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/change-presidential-term-limits/story?id=43442368

http://www.nbcnews.com/card/mcconnell-differs-trump-term-limits-nato-n681681

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/18/politics/donald-trump-term-limits/

17 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I disagree. They act out of their own self interest and that interest sometimes coincides with popular opinion. More often than not it seeks to shape popular opinion.

Watch this.  Don't blame the MSM for what's happening right now. 

18 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Like in the above video, the only reason Flynn was fired was because the media reported on it.  GREAT JOB!  Trump and his team have known about this for quite some time.  But didn't do anything until caught out.  The media is doing a great job.

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Mr Trump has upset this arrangement so they are a bit pissed. They are embarrassing themselves since the majority 

of his supporters just tune it out. Thats why he has to conduct his own rallies still, to make sure his word gets out to the people.

If only there were something called fox news or breitbart.com to offer easy access to such information.  Maybe you should look into inventing them. But until they actually exist, your point is valid.

Mr Trump has upset this arrangement so they are a bit pissed. They are embarrassing themselves since the majority  of his supporters just tune it out. That's why he has to conduct his own rallies still, to make sure his word gets out to the people.

Trump must attack the truth and to do that he must attack the press.   He is also back on the 'campaign trail' because he cannot deal with being questioned.   His administration is a mess and he is pontificating to his fan base.    

The press isn't and has never been the problem.    You can spin the truth, but blatant lies are hard to do much with.   

Contradicting Trump on Russia: Russian Officials

“I have nothing to do with Russia,” he told reporters on Thursday. “To the best of my knowledge, no person that I deal with does.”

"The dispute began two days after the Nov. 8 election, when Sergei A. Ryabkov, the Russian deputy foreign minister, said his government had maintained contacts with members of Mr. Trump’s “immediate entourage” during the campaign."

"More recently, Russia’s ambassador to Washington, Sergey I. Kislyak, told The Washington Post that he had communicated frequently during the campaign with Michael T. Flynn, a close campaign adviser to Mr. Trump who became the president’s national security adviser before resigning from the position last week."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/20/us/politics/donald-trump-russia.html?_r=0

GOP to bury House resolution on Trump conflicts

"House Republicans next week plan to derail a Democratic resolution that would have forced disclosure of President Donald Trump's potential ties with Russia and any possible business conflicts of interest, according to multiple House sources."

"Seeking to avoid a full House vote on the so-called “resolution of inquiry” — a roll call that would be particularly embarrassing and divisive for the right — Republicans will send proposal by Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.) to the House Judiciary Committee for a panel vote on Tuesday, two Democratic sources said."

"The GOP-controlled committee is expected to kill the resolution."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-conflicts-house-resolution-235288

Trumpian Transparency.