Grinder for turkey food

sunspun

Can anyone point me to where I might be able to purchase (or make?) a grinder for turkey feed? I am in the south not far from Hat Yai. My husband has about 50 or 60 birds and is chopping up the feed by hand every day. He tells me these are not easy to come by around here and a bit expensive. They can't be that hard to find.

Also, what do you put in your feed? We've just arrived back in Thailand and the birds aren't doing well. Hubby thinks it's their diet. He thinks he knows what needs to change but we are pretty new to this so I welcome some advice. Thanks.

Hello All, I'm in Isan and some of the shops downtown Korat have small feed mills,

are you grinding corn? If so, you might look op Texas Gourd Seed Corn, it was used

in TX as a turkey feed. The kernels are small, almost like shoe peg kernels. I grew it

to make massa, the kernels come off VERY EASY! I get kit from SESE in the US, there

are articles on Mother Earth News.

rice555  

We are going into hat yai today, might see if we can find something. We don't put corn in. I'll suggest that. They are fed with banana stalk, some particular kind of grass, rice bran, something for calcium  (not sure what it is - a powder that comes in a big rice bag) and oil. Beans or seeds should go in there too i think? And some oil. And some pellets of something. 

Edited by sunspun

Why feed turkeys rubbish?

If you want decent turkeys to sell they need plenty of protein, minimum 16%

Young turkeys under 6 weeks need 27/28 %.

Yes turkeys like napier grass, banana leaves/stems but only as a snack, not sufficient protein for the main feed.

My turkeys are fed rice bran/corn meal/soya bean meal/ fish meal,  pinch of salt and little bit calcium, threy get napier, banana leaves as snacks.

Edited by colinneil

• 2 weeks later...

When you ask at shops about a grinder ask for a soy bean grinder.  I go mine for around 6,000 baht.  As for feed the closest I know of for turkey feed would be Betagro "Native Chicken Starter".  It is comes as crumbles and has 20% protein.  If you get a grinder or want to mix your own feed, pm me your email address and I will send you a spreadsheet and some recommendations.

cheers