Mom bringing insulin for me (Type 1 Diabetic) on airplane from USA - will there be any issues

thedan663

I am a Type 1 diabetic here....for me to get insulin requires a monthly visit to doctor and I pay on average 6000 thb/month for care. 

My mom is visiting, and we were thinking maybe she could bring some from home. Would really help with funds. Technically, it's not her prescription though. I made it through customs and all baggage checks with not a problem on my way here, but I obviously don't want to cause my mom trouble.

Will there be any issue getting through customs and security with 3 small vials of insulin on carry on? Even if the prescription is not hers?

And what about supplies for insulin pump? Those would be in checked baggage. Like I said, I had no issue, but she is here for a week and maybe it will be suspicious to have all that stuff.

Thanks

Not a prohibited transfer drug as far as I know.  As long as vials are unopened, are sealed, are clearly marked, have purchase receipts, etc. I don't think there will be a problem.  All the vials are < 8ml I think is the TSA threshold?  Of course nothing guarantees what the TSA goons will do.  They are like an immigration official at the border and can and often have acted arbitrarily.  

The American DIabetes Association has a nice writeup on the issue.

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/know-your-rights/discrimination/public-accommodations/air-travel-and-diabetes/what-can-i-bring-with-me.html

Even if the prescription is not hers?

If I were that TSA officer it would not get on aircraft if not for person holding.  Those exceptions are for use of the person taking on board aircraft for there use and would not apply.

OP says checked baggage, not carry on so I think not a TSA issue.

Technically, not allowable to bring in meds that are for someone else, but in practicality I doubt customs will care as long as clearly labelled as insulin and not in amounts inconsistent with personal use.

However, OP, there is no reason at all why in Thailand getting insulin should require a monthly doctor's visit. It is sold OTC without prescription. Of course you need periodic doctor visits to check your labs and review how well your diabetes is controlled but monthly is over the top unless your diabetes is really brittle (unstable).

And, when you do have a doctor visit - do not get your meds from the hospital pharmacy!! Bug mark-up. Decline politely and buy at an outside pharmacy.

No prescription??? 

I am using Novorapid Pen Fill - I get from Bangkok Hospital. Read online that it's all prescription here for this, but maybe I'm wrong and can look into other options. I get 5 pens for the month (a little over, but I do it to be safe).

And yeah....insulin cannot be in checked baggage, must be carry-on. It's not a lot though....3 vials is like a month supply. Maybe she can try and worst case scenario she has to throw it out, but I don't want her in any trouble.

5 hours ago, thedan663 said:

No prescription??? 

I am using Novorapid Pen Fill - I get from Bangkok Hospital. Read online that it's all prescription here for this, but maybe I'm wrong and can look into other options. I get 5 pens for the month (a little over, but I do it to be safe).

And yeah....insulin cannot be in checked baggage, must be carry-on. It's not a lot though....3 vials is like a month supply. Maybe she can try and worst case scenario she has to throw it out, but I don't want her in any trouble.

Absolutely this does NOT require a prescription in Thailand. It is Thai FDA Category "D", which is OTC, and many TV members here buy their's  at pharmacies.

Bangkok Hospital mark-up on drugs is considerable. You can save a great deal buying it OTC.

Need to get it at a large pharmacy though, one with a "real" pharmacist in duty. Are you in Bangkok? (There are Bangkok Hops bracnhes in several parts of the ocuntry..)

On 2/20/2017 at 11:45 PM, Sheryl said:

Absolutely this does NOT require a prescription in Thailand. It is Thai FDA Category "D", which is OTC, and many TV members here buy their's  at pharmacies.

Bangkok Hospital mark-up on drugs is considerable. You can save a great deal buying it OTC.

Need to get it at a large pharmacy though, one with a "real" pharmacist in duty. Are you in Bangkok? (There are Bangkok Hops bracnhes in several parts of the ocuntry..)

Wow, thanks! I don't know how I didn't know....but I stopped at pharmacy last night and it is so much cheaper! Crazy.

Really appreciate the information.

Archived