Vet in Khon Kaen who will euthanize a terminally ill cat.

rexall

Tue 21 Feb 2017, 11:53 am

Hi ForumMates,

My 12 year old male cat has late-stage kidney failure.  Hopefully with TLC and infusion treatments, we can keep him relatively comfortable and happy for a few more months or longer. However, this condition is ultimately fatal even with the best of care and I would like to be prepared for the end.   Many or most vets follow the Buddhist tradition of preferring that an animal die "naturally" in agony and without dignity rather than helping him exit painlessly with an iv barbiturate.   However, that does not apply to all vets.  

Outside chance, anyone know of a vet in Khon Kaen City or thereabouts who will do this?  

Baring that, anyone know of a place in KKC that sells industrial gas such as undiluted helium or nitrogen?

Thanks for any info.

Hi Kickstand,

Thanks a million  for your reply.  Sorry to hear about your dog.  It's a bummer, isn't it?

I was at the old KKU Animal Hospital years ago for a cat with FeLV.  Nasty disease!  I understand the new version is a lot less dreary.  I never would have thought to ask them about putting an animal to sleep.

Do you mind my asking?  Did they suggest putting him to sleep or did you approach them and ask for it?  Was it complicated to arrange?  And, most important, was the procedure handled efficiently, painlessly and sensitively?   I hope so.

Thanks again.

Hi Kickstand,

Thanks a million  for your reply.  Sorry to hear about your dog.  It's a bummer, isn't it?

I was at the old KKU Animal Hospital years ago for a cat with FeLV.  Nasty disease!  I understand the new version is a lot less dreary.  I never would have thought to ask them about putting an animal to sleep.

Do you mind my asking?  Did they suggest putting him to sleep or did you approach them and ask for it?  Was it complicated to arrange?  And, most important, was the procedure handled efficiently, painlessly and sensitively?   I hope so.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G532G using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I am wondering if you couldn't just source a large (fatal) dose of some injectable barbiturate yourself if you really needed to have a "home" euthanasia (I haven't a clue if that is one of the medications that can be had in Thailand without a prescription).  Gas of some type seems needlessly complicated (and I have no idea if it would be painless).

Sorry. Don' know what happened to my post. Her it goes again.

Sorry for your loss. It is crushing to lose a pet.

The doctor brought it up first. They wanted to try other things but they thought that it probobly wouldn't work. We didn't want her to suffer anymore and decided to put her down then.

It was handled very sesitively and professionally. We held her and comforted her while they administered the antistectict. She drifted to sleep and then applied an overdose and montored her heartbeat until she died.

They requested that we let them keep the body for student training.

I think they will be amenable to euthanasia. They may want to verfy that she is terminal
First.

The facilities are nice and the staff is professional.

My condolences for your loss and my thoughts are with you.

I hope this helped. Sorry for the typos, using the small keyboard on my phone.

Sent from my SM-G532G using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Hi Katia,

Thanks for yours

At home euthanasia done by a vet is obviously the the best (or least bad) of various options.  However, this is not a perfect world, and just to find a vet "upcountry" who will do this is a blessing.  I seriously doubt that barbiturates, especially injectables,  are easily available in Thailand, and unless you could do an iv injection yourself (very unlikely without medical training), slow and uncertain.   With injections under the skin or into the muscle, a lot can go wrong, and it is a lengthy process from what I have read.  Nitrogen (and other inert gasses) is complicated, but results--especially with sedation beforehand--in a rapid and relatively peaceful passing.  But I dunno. I have never done it or been around it, all my info is from the internet.

I took a 9 year old female cat to the Khon Kaen University Vet School Hospital in 2016. It was suffering greatly and a Vet in Buriram sent me to this hospital. The Teacher Vet suspected right away the cat had FIV and it was confirmed with a simple test. (all my cats have now had this simple test).  I did not quite grasp the seriousness of the matter.  They asked for a deposit which I paid. They kept the cat for over one week. My wife kept in touch daily. It became clear there was no chance of recovery. They asked if I wanted to drive back and be there for a peaceful euthanasia of the cat. It was not possible for me to return. They asked for the bill to be paid and I transferred the money. As far as I know the cat was asleep when they put her down. Our healthy cats now have the FIV vaccination. We have three other male cats which tested positive for FIV and we understand the seriousness of the condition.  I had taken another male cat to this same hospital in 2014 and as far as I can tell they treat the animals with respect and they have the operating rooms and experience to provide good care. 

On 2/25/2017 at 11:46 AM, David B in Thailand said:

I took a 9 year old female cat to the Khon Kaen University Vet School Hospital in 2016. It was suffering greatly and a Vet in Buriram sent me to this hospital. The Teacher Vet suspected right away the cat had FIV and it was confirmed with a simple test
<snip>

Thanks for posting this David.  FeLV is really nasty stuff that cat owners should educate themselves about.  We have lost two cats to it.  FeLV is referred to as "feline leukemia" but that is misleading.  It is a retro-virus with some similarity to HIV, and it devastates the cat's immune system until the poor thing succumbs to leukemia or anemia or some opportunistic infection. Unlike HIV,  some young cats can mount a defense and overcome the virus and live healthy lives. Also, unlike HIV, some  cats die from it right away, others can live for years relatively symptom free, but the remain very contagious so that it is risky for other cats to be around them. Annual vaccinations, although not 100% effective, are a must. Mama Kitty lived a normal life with it for ten years before she started to go down hill.