Renew US passport in Bangkok?

I was just told by immigration when extending my ED visa that I have run out of pages to stamp and need to get a new passport by April.

I've heard you can't just add pages anymore. Is that correct?

If anyone has recent experience renewing their passport at the US embassy in Bangkok, please share.

Do they destroy the old passport but leave the visa page unharmed?

They stopped adding pages at the end of 2015.

It takes about 2 weeks to get a new passport and the fee is $110. See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

They just put a cancelled stamp on the photo page and punch two holes in the cover. All pages in it are still intact.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They stopped adding pages at the end of 2015.

It takes about 2 weeks to get a new passport and the fee is $110. See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

They just put a cancelled stamp on the photo page and punch two holes in the cover. All pages in it are still intact.

Thanks so much!

You could have got a new US passport at the embassy in Bangkok long ago.

You don't nave to wait until you are down to your last open page..

They do not destroy your old passport.

I did mine in May 2015 and I still have the old passport except it is labeled EXPIRED on the first  photo I. D. page.

Took me 9 days to get a new passport and cost about 100 dollars.

I picked up my new passport at the embassy 9 days after I applied for a new passport.

And as I sad they never destroyed the old one just wrote on it the word  expired.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I usually use 8 pages every time I visit.My USA passport pages will run out in 2020,while my passport expires in 2021.When I renew it (full book),will they extend the expiration date another 10 years?

4 minutes ago, riclag said:

I usually use 8 pages every time I visit.My USA passport pages will run out in 2020,while my passport expires in 2021.When I renew it (full book),will they extend the expiration date another 10 years?

No it will not. The new passport's expiration date will be 10 years from the date it is issued.

On 2/24/2017 at 8:45 PM, mogandave said:

Be sure to select extra pages when you order it.

When I renewed my US passport in Bangkok last month, they told me the 51 page passport (extra page) was standard issue in foreign embassy's.  You don't need to ask for it.

I also elected to pay an extra $25 (I think) for the passport card as well.  While it is not valid for international border crossing (except Canada & Mexico) or international air travel, it will satisfy the requirements of the BiB for having an "approved" copy of your passport on your person.

The card passport is the size of a standard drivers license.

Edited by dddave

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No it will not. The new passport's expiration date will be 10 years from the date it is issued.

I have to pay $110 in 2020 and another $110 in 2021 ,right