Help! Can't Set Up Xbox 360 Live

cowman1

Basically, i just bought a 360 from MBK, and I want to hook up to xbox live. I've been trying to set it up by just plugging my ethernet cable (that would normally go into my computer) straight into th xbox.

I'm with True broadband, and have the modem that they give you when you join (do i need something differnt?

basically all the checks go through fine, but when it gets to MTU connection, this comes up as failed.

Do I need to manually input a different IP address or something? It's automatically finding one at the moment.

Also, I've seen M/soft are blocking people from live if you dont have it in your country, so could this be why its not workin?

Can anyone help?!! Really want to get on live!!

Cheers :o

Well, thanks for the quick response. Thing is, I actually have astand a alone modem, so still don't really understand whats wrong - cause that page states,it should be fine if not using a router, basically cable just going from modem to xbox.

I've looked at loads of different sites that say differnt things, one suggests manually setting up MAC address to PC, by ringing service provider, so maybe I should ring true direct.

Just wondering, is anyone on live with their 360? And get internet through True, how did you go about it?? Did you have problems with MTU connection?

Cheers

I dont have my 360 yet (5 more days) but how about you try a 2nd ethernet interface in your PC, and then sharing that connection to your xbox (using ICS) i do this wil my xbox 1 and it works a treat, and means you can have both machines on at the same time...Regarding MTU settings, i've seen them set as low as 576 bits. There is a method to calculate your providers MTU - i'll append the post later once i recall/google.

As promised, courtesy of google.

1. MTU 

The very first thing you must do is to find out what the MTU is for your connection. To do this follow these simple steps: 

a) Open a Command Prompt or MS-DOS window. (Start > Run > "cmd.exe") 

Choose a server to ping. For example, you could use funender.com, however it is best to use your ISP. Then use the following command to ping that server: 

ping funender.com -f -l 1472 

If you get a message that says "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set" then reduce the number on the end (1472) by 1 and try again until you do not get the fragmented message. 

If however you did not receive the fragmented message then increase the value by 1 and try again until you get the fragmented message. 

Look for the largest value that does NOT give you a fragmented error message. 

Once you have this value, add 28 to it and that is your MTU value. 

e.g. 1472 + 28 = 1500 

Edited by phazey

I have a True connection and as I recall I got my 360 online just by plugging it in. It took a bit of jiggery pokery to get the wireless connection working right though.

As for the MTU, PPPoE MTU default size in Windows XP is 1480 and you need a minimum 1364 for Xbox Live.

Best advice is to download Dr TCP http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp and experiment with the MTU settings.

I have a True connection and as I recall I got my 360 online just by plugging it in. It took a bit of jiggery pokery to get the wireless connection working right though.

As for the MTU, PPPoE MTU default size in Windows XP is 1480 and you need a minimum 1364 for Xbox Live.

Best advice is to download Dr TCP http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp and experiment with the MTU settings.

Arghhh! That's the thing, I thought it would be that easy, just plug it in and play. I've worked out that my MTU is 1452, so it is definitely high enough, just ca'nt figure out why its fasiling the test. I tried putting this figure into that dr tcp programme too, but this didn't seem to do much

Basically, if I just plug it in, and perform the test: network adapter test = ok, wireless Network = ok, then IP adress fails, (so I manually input my true password and login for this) then it passes, but MTU still fails though?!!!

I can't connect two cables to my computer cause I'm using a laptop, and it only has 1 port - .

Can i check when you say you just plugged it in, and it worked did you not have to change any settings at all?

Cheers for help, any more ideas - I'm tearing my hair out! I have a psp and that was easy to get on line!

Arghhh! That's the thing, I thought it would be that easy, just plug it in and play. I've worked out that my MTU is 1452, so it is definitely high enough, just ca'nt figure out why its fasiling the test. I tried putting this figure into that dr tcp programme too, but this didn't seem to do much

Basically, if I just plug it in, and perform the test: network adapter test = ok, wireless Network = ok, then IP adress fails, (so I manually input my true password and login for this) then it passes, but MTU still fails though?!!!

I can't connect two cables to my computer cause I'm using a laptop, and it only has 1 port - .

Can i check when you say you just plugged it in, and it worked did you not have to change any settings at all?

Cheers for help, any more ideas - I'm tearing my hair out! I have a psp and that was easy to get on line!

If anyone is interested, I managed to aort this out in the end - playing gears of war on line is great. It was a bit of a mission, - basically the modem that i got free with true, was not figured correctly, so I had to acces it from my computer and changed some settings, kind of changed it into a router, anyway it worked a treat.

This is how to do it, iif anyone gets stuck like i did

http://www.thelordofwireless.com/modules.php?name=Content,

then just go to set it up,

then choose the router modem model that you had mine was a Huawei

happy days