Sea Change Awaits Trump in Thailand

webfact

9 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

Yes - and from where did B-52's fly to drop shitloads of bombs on Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia? I have a vague memory it was Udon Thani and U-Tapao... Worked then, because neither country could defend themselves against that back then. If that were to happen today against China, you could kiss your ass good-bye faster than you can say "oh <deleted>" - them boys got mighty rockets...

Not quite. B-52's flew from U-Tapao and Anderson AFB, Guam.

19 hours ago, yellowboat said:

He campaigned hard and was elected.  Thailand's "leadership" has nothing in common with him, and why would he or any other elected official acknowledge the junta.  They have little standing outside of Thailand.

Right. These worn out old generals so overrate themselves. 

China has an agenda. They look at problems in terms of decades, even centuries. The US is controlled by money now, pay later syndrome. US has let a wolf into a dogs lair. Thailand on the other hand has a way to mitigate world affairs. They, like Switzerland know how to duck and weave. I admire this country and feel totally safe here. Zig zag politics, the Thais are masters. Pity more countries did not follow a kind of Buddhist philosophy.  

22 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

WW-2 was a long time ago. It is more relevant to remember Thailand's role during the Vietnam War

I REMEMBER Thailands role in the Vietnam Role! the U.S, PAID the Thai Military  during the war and the gov't got the money first and than passed it down to the soldiers,

China has an agenda. They look at problems in terms of decades, even centuries. The US is controlled by money now, pay later syndrome. US has let a wolf into a dogs lair. Thailand on the other hand has a way to mitigate world affairs. They, like Switzerland know how to duck and weave. I admire this country and feel totally safe here. Zig zag politics, the Thais are masters. Pity more countries did not follow a kind of Buddhist philosophy.  

So a Coward is to be Admired , jeez I was Educated all wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 2/27/2017 at 8:04 AM, captspectre said:

why would President Trump even think about Thailand? there is nothing here as far as and Armed Force is concerned. perhaps some of his people still remember Thailands role in WW-2 with the Japanese.

Thailand would be a convenient base for re-fueling (militarily, and R&R).

Thailand will glue its butt to the sideline bench if there's military confrontation brewing between China and any other power.   Nearly all Thailand's large and not-so-large businesses are owned by Chinese-Thais.  Many, if not most politicians and military heads are also Chinese-Thai.  

16 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

So a Coward is to be Admired , jeez I was Educated all wrong.

I don't know what is cowardly with the Thai people. They choose a moderate approach. The US on the other hand goes in boots and all and if you research their results you will find that every incursion since WWII has resulted in 2 wins from 200 odd incursions. The wins were Panama and Grenada. The losses were hundreds of thousands of killed and wounded and many vet syndrome welfare recipients. But by all means, push the coward line. Lots of unnecessary  deaths by your countrymen who were not cowards but are dead because of uncowardly US US politicians who never seem to see combat.

On 27/02/2017 at 11:13 AM, dunroaming said:

I wouldn't be too sure about Vietnam.  Most influential Vietnamese are of Chinese descent and the ties with China have been strengthening.  China has the economic power and influence in the region and they will call the shots (sorry about the pun).

Check your facts again my friend as you are very wrong on Vietnam

In the late 70's China invaded Vietnam in order to support their ally. Pol Pot of Cambodia or Kampuchea as it was then called. Vietnam had by then mostly cleared Pol Pot from his murderous intent in Cambodia. Vietnam kicked the Chinese troops out of Nth Vietnam. Relations have been strained since then, especially now since China is claiming traditional Viet sea lanes in the South China Sea. To claim that Vietnam is reaching out to China is mind boggling. Not that they can afford to cause them too much offence. The Chinese influence with Vietnam ceased to exist in South Vietnam when they were kicked out after centuries of occupation Check your facts. The Vietnamese see relations with China as tenuous at best. Thailand did supply troops to the American War in Vietnam. After some mortar shelling they built a huge Buddha on their base. The shelling stopped and the Buddha can still be seen now. Other than supplying US airbases, the Thais had very little impact in the American War on Vietnam. Another war the US lost. 

Just now, Dale59 said:

The US government and Trump care nothing about small dictatorships in SE Asia. Thailand thinks itself as far more important than America thinks of Thailand, if we think of Thailand at all!

Oh Dale, you have stamped your little foot with exclamation marks and all. Thailand does not think of itself as superior to the US. But US is pushing many South East Asian nations to review their relations with US. Not you personally, you are no more than a foot stamper. But real diplomacy. Trump has an issue with China. In fact Trump has an issue with many former allies. All around the world. If US actually ceases to try to impose its will on all countries, the applause will cause deafness to most of us. And if you think that the US is not ruled by the elite, one dictatorship after another, you need to take a deep breath. And if you don't ever think about Thailand at all, what are you doing on this forum. 

I don't know what is cowardly with the Thai people. They choose a moderate approach. The US on the other hand goes in boots and all and if you research their results you will find that every incursion since WWII has resulted in 2 wins from 200 odd incursions. The wins were Panama and Grenada. The losses were hundreds of thousands of killed and wounded and many vet syndrome welfare recipients. But by all means, push the coward line. Lots of unnecessary  deaths by your countrymen who were not cowards but are dead because of uncowardly US US politicians who never seem to see combat.

Thai Military are not Cowards ,but the Politicoes were when Japan walked in.Yet the Philipeans took a united stance against them .im A Hawk,so my attitude is against anything that smells weak,as Diplomacy although essential at times is a disguise for blatant Cowards these days