Retired Thai police general arrested

webfact

Retired police general arrested

51_lexus.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A retired police general was arrested early today and sent to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) for questioning.

Pol Maj-Gen Rungroj Bhaekanant, former chief of Ayutthaya police, was stopped at a security checkpoint manned by soldiers for search as he was driving along Klong Luang road to Motorway 9.

Found inside his car were two bullet-proof jackets, three knives and a poster with a written message mourning the death of Anawat Tanacharoennat, who hanged himself to death to protest the enforcement of Section 44.

The soldiers then sent him to DSI investigators for questioning.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/retired-police-general-arrested/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-02-27

Other than the bullet-proof jackets, which we know are illegal to possess (see Hong Kong Photo-Journalist), I wonder what's going on here?

Three knives would seem to be the standard complement for "vehicle security" here, assuming at least one was a machete? 

Just now, mtls2005 said:

Other than the bullet-proof jackets, which we know are illegal to possess (see Hong Kong Photo-Journalist), I wonder what's going on here?

Three knives would seem to be the standard complement for "vehicle security" here, assuming at least one was a machete? 

Maybe he's one of those..........bad apples.

The bullet proof vests are for protection against former people he arrested. The knives - peeling fruit, cleaning finger nails, gardening - left in car by accident. The poster - saw it up and decided to take it down and throw it away when got home.

All a big misunderstanding. Must have a word with those officers seniors. Clearly a need for some more training!

Nothing to see, move on.

10 minutes ago, inzman said:

I want to know, a police generals car was stopped and searched, that's impossible, there is a lot more to this story!!!

It sounds like the military is trying to control any unnecessary/unusual flow of people into Bangkok? Not sure why this chap got caught up? Maybe he just needed some time to recover?

19 minutes ago, inzman said:

I want to know, a police generals car was stopped and searched, that's impossible, there is a lot more to this story!!!

Show that not all the enforcers are on team Prayut. You can say the same for the military. Fracture lines are forming from the within as we speak. 

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

It sounds like the military is trying to control any unnecessary/unusual flow of people into Bangkok? Not sure why this chap got caught up? Maybe he just needed some time to recover?

Given that the military and the police are not always the best of friends, especially the "older generation" like this chap, I rather suspect that he was targeted, not just caught in a random check.

Score being settled?

Message being sent?