‘Too many stars in the sky’: For RCAF insiders, the proliferation of generals can be embarrassing

geovalin

Bloated and swollen with more than 2,000 generals according to some estimates, the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces’ generous policy with stars is starting to cause headaches, insiders say.

On the heels of the latest round of mass military advancements revealed last month, The Post sought the opinion of several military officials about the armed forces’ approach to career advancement.

While the use of promotions as a tool to secure loyalty to the ruling elite has often been cited as a chief impetus behind the practice, some of the consequences revealed by the interviews are less often reported.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/too-many-stars-sky-rcaf-insiders-proliferation-generals-can-be-embarrassing

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 01/03

'... a Ministry of Defence department in Laos was usually no higher than a lieutenant colonel, he said their Cambodian equivalent usually boasted at least two general’s stars, with a similar discrepancy evident with Thai and Vietnamese counterparts.'

The Thais' would be an inactive post.

43 minutes ago, hdkane said:

In Thailand, there is one general for every 200 soldiers...military rank is meaningless here...stars are bought and paid for, obviously.

stolen valor.

Obviously you are a very ignorant person. Stars are not bought in the army. Unlike you I have good friends there. If you had said this about the police then you might be right.

5 hours ago, gamini said:

Obviously you are a very ignorant person. Stars are not bought in the army. Unlike you I have good friends there. If you had said this about the police then you might be right.

would bet a fair wager that rank like everything else is bought and sold in the thai army. anything that has any value is sold in the land of smiles.

22 hours ago, gamini said:

Obviously your very naive. My wifes relations, a few, are high ranking officiers in the RTA and they paint a different picture. Also if your a son of a well known General you can get a commision into the RTA without attending Officer training!