Single surviving giant stingray to be released back into Mae Klong River

webfact

Single surviving giant stingray to be released back into Mae Klong River
By PRATCH RUJIVANAROM
THE NATION

b8f149a0f5e8bc43101d4681f14d85fd.jpeg

The file picture from October last year shows one of the giant freshwater stingrays swam in the pond at Samut Songkhram Coastal Fisheries Research and Development Centre.

SAMUT SONGKHRAM: -- THE LAST surviving giant freshwater stingray of those rescued after the mass deaths of more than 50 of the rare fish in the Mae Klong River in October will be returned to its natural habitat this month.

The stingray, nicknamed “Mae Buaban”, is being kept at the Samut Songkhram Coastal Fisheries Research and Development Centre. Authorities say it will be released back into the river when the water quality improves to a safe level and the Fisheries Department officially allows the release.

“We just lost ‘Mae Nongpho’, another giant freshwater stingray, which died on February 13 due to a miscarriage. We also found that Mae Buaban had also lost her babies too, so we have no reason to keep it,” said centre director Kobsak Khetmuan. 

“We wrote a letter to the Fisheries Department to ask for permission to return it to the river, as the water quality is now safe. After we receive a letter from the department, we will consult with the provincial governor and people in the province to set up a time and place for releasing the stingray back into the river this month.”

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30307670

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-02

Best news of the day be safe big fish. The "waiting" for the quality of the water to return to normal rather scares me also there seems to be a lot of rigmarole to get this fish released. They don't do well in small confined spaces. I don't either. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

“We just lost ‘Mae Nongpho’, another giant freshwater stingray, which died on February 13 due to a miscarriage. We also found that Mae Buaban had also lost her babies too, so we have no reason to keep it,” said centre director Kobsak Khetmuan. 

Doesn't sound to healthy to me. The factory responsible has more or less wiped out the Thai giant stingray species for good. Made famous by river monsters Jeremy Wade, the stingray and many other river creatures population and survival have been seriously threatened by one polluting company.

Edited by tukkytuktuk

8 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Doesn't sound to healthy to me. The factory responsible has more or less wiped out the Thai giant stingray species for good. Made famous by river monsters Jeremy Wade, the stingray and many other river creatures population and survival have been seriously threatened by one polluting company.

I never heard what company did this? My original guess was a large hog operation.  Do you know who it was?

On 3/2/2017 at 2:23 PM, tukkytuktuk said:

Being sacrificed on the alter of profit.