Buy CM-BKK train tickets in advance?

properjob

We have visitors coming in early June, and they have asked us to get them overnight train tickets to Bangkok for their date of departure.

I've never bought train tickets. Is it possible to buy them three months in advance, and if so, do I have to go to the station, or can I do it through a travel agent?

Go to the station....They always ask for ID.....

But I'm not sure how much they pay attention when they punch them on the train if you were to buy with your ID and give to them.....

You can buy well in advance - it might be too late for first class, some times they are 6-12 months ahead on those....

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Go to the station....They always ask for ID.....

But I'm not sure how much they pay attention when they punch them on the train if you were to buy with your ID and give to them.....

You can buy well in advance - it might be too late for first class, some times they are 6-12 months ahead on those....

Thanks for that, PG. It hadn't occurred to me that I'd need IDs, so that's good to know, as well.

pj

thailandtrainticket.com 

The service I previously used 12 months ago.

Tickets can only be booked up to a maximum of 60 days in advance.

Copies of ID need to be provided which would be scanned and forwarded.

Pickup is available from their offices in Bangkok, alternatively they will send them to a recognised delivery address within Thailand at an added cost or even send them overseas at a much greater added cost.

12 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

thailandtrainticket.com 

The service I previously used 12 months ago.

Tickets can only be booked up to a maximum of 60 days in advance.

Copies of ID need to be provided which would be scanned and forwarded.

Pickup is available from their offices in Bangkok, alternatively they will send them to a recognised delivery address within Thailand at an added cost or even send them overseas at a much greater added cost.

I wonder if, at the train station (with copies of IDs) I might be able to make the bookings more than sixty days in advance of the trip? That would swing it for us. 

Use an agent and you pay more but get the same service as going to a station.

If you have a station nearby then go there, 60 days in advance is the most - actually think it is 59 days due to counting the day you go and the day you travel. Must have ID of the passengers, not your ID. I think you can take copies.

On 3/4/2017 at 2:22 PM, properjob said:

Thanks for that, PG. It hadn't occurred to me that I'd need IDs, so that's good to know, as well.

pj

You can just have your friends take a picture of the picture page of their passports on a phone and send them to you. I did that for a friend who is coming to visit and it was no problem. I just showed the the picture on my phone. Just make sure the full page of the passport is clear and legible. 

David

Archived