Furniture fair showcases Thai expertise

snoop1130

Furniture fair showcases Thai expertise

By The Nation

THE Thailand International Furniture Fair 2017 opened today at the Impact complex in Bangkok.

The event has been organised by the Department of International Trade Promotion, under the Ministry of Commerce, in partnership with the Thai Furniture Industry Club, the Federation of Thai Industries and the Thai Furniture Industries Association.

It aims to promote the competitiveness and visibility of Thai furniture products and services in the international market.

Sontirat Sontijirawong, Deputy Minister of Commerce, said Thailand is moving towards the Thailand 4.0, a long-term national economic policy laid out by the government in order to transform the economy into “a value-based economy or innovation-driven economy”. 

As the export sector plays a crucial role in increasing national GDP and development of a strong economy, the minister said the government had established measures to help Thai exporters to increase the value ad The eventded to their goods and services.

The furniture industry has brought significant revenue to the country and contributed to an increase in export value.

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/corporate/30308326

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-3-8

1 hour ago, KIWIBATCH said:

Thai made furniture = outer covering delaminates after 6 months.....ill fitting cupboard doors/drawers...rock hard seating on sofas/chairs.....overall poor workmanship......

You must have one hell of a difficult time standing up the whole time. Not being able to sit down on the rock hard seats and too scared to sleep on bed that may collapse.

If you pay for crap how can you expect quality ? We have furnished our 5 bedroom house and the only problem we have had was the imported sofa which stitching is coming apart after 5 years.

4 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

Thai made furniture = outer covering delaminates after 6 months.....ill fitting cupboard doors/drawers...rock hard seating on sofas/chairs.....overall poor workmanship......

Maybe you buy that cheap Stuff from B.g C or else,what a Wonder. Good furniture has its price. I'ts the same Thing all around the World: There is no quality for cheap, cheap, cheap.....

I buy almost all furniture from a carpenter in my Town here at a fraction of the price in europe. Mostly made of solid wood. 1 Table 250 x 100 cm and 6 Chairs THB 11,000 in perfect and sturdy Quality.

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

Maybe you buy that cheap Stuff from B.g C or else,what a Wonder. Good furniture has its price. I'ts the same Thing all around the World: There is no quality for cheap, cheap, cheap.....

I buy almost all furniture from a carpenter in my Town here at a fraction of the price in europe. Mostly made of solid wood. 1 Table 250 x 100 cm and 6 Chairs THB 11,000 in perfect and sturdy Quality.

Yup, termite-wood i bet.

Teakwood is extreme expensive in Thailand. In Europe it's much cheaper, imported from Asia as well.

Tables and chairs are all wobbly, when you show it to the seller he'll blame the uneven floor.

Chairs are not comfortable, the backrest has the wrong angle most of the time...

I see a great future for IKEA here in Thailand also because they don't annoy/push customers like thai sales love to do.

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yup, termite-wood i bet.

Teakwood is extreme expensive in Thailand. In Europe it's much cheaper, imported from Asia as well.

Tables and chairs are all wobbly, when you show it to the seller he'll blame the uneven floor.

Chairs are not comfortable, the backrest has the wrong angle most of the time...

I see a great future for IKEA here in Thailand also because they don't annoy/push customers like thai sales love to do.

We use a local wood outlet for all our new furniture, always solid teak and not stupid prices. Cabinets of assorted shapes, 15k, coffee table plus bench 8k.

Just bought (awaiting delivery) a custom 1.5m round dining table with 6 chairs (all teak) for less than 30k Baht, could you find that in Europe even in a local wood?

We do have some MDF furniture which is lasting fairly well which came from Koncept when we first moved here, the stuff from Index is long gone. The TV cabinet is now 10 years old, and, whilst it is showing its age, isn't up for replacement just yet. it will eventually be replaced with more teak from our favourite store.

By the way, the teak store is operated by a disabled Thai guy, I think he had polio or something similar as his legs are badly misshapen. He zooms around on what looks like a tea-tray on casters, once you get past looking down at a chap 2 feet off the ground he's a great personality, fair English, and he knows his teak furniture. We will continue to use his place as long as we need furniture.

http://www.woodshopnews.com/news/wood-markets/498210-teak-substitute-is-gaining-influence

It’s very popular over in Europe. I think that it is a great alternative; it’s something that can be used for outdoor use, it has the oiliness of genuine teak. It is somewhat similar in look. At a quick glance you could mistake it for genuine teak and, on closer inspection, you’ll see the subtle differences.”

1 minute ago, Allstars said:

http://www.woodshopnews.com/news/wood-markets/498210-teak-substitute-is-gaining-influence

It’s very popular over in Europe. I think that it is a great alternative; it’s something that can be used for outdoor use, it has the oiliness of genuine teak. It is somewhat similar in look. At a quick glance you could mistake it for genuine teak and, on closer inspection, you’ll see the subtle differences.”

Iroko is indeed a nice teak-like wood, can you get it here? Price compared to local teak?

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We use a local wood outlet for all our new furniture, always solid teak and not stupid prices. Cabinets of assorted shapes, 15k, coffee table plus bench 8k.

Just bought (awaiting delivery) a custom 1.5m round dining table with 6 chairs (all teak) for less than 30k Baht, could you find that in Europe even in a local wood?

We do have some MDF furniture which is lasting fairly well which came from Koncept when we first moved here, the stuff from Index is long gone. The TV cabinet is now 10 years old, and, whilst it is showing its age, isn't up for replacement just yet. it will eventually be replaced with more teak from our favourite store.

By the way, the teak store is operated by a disabled Thai guy, I think he had polio or something similar as his legs are badly misshapen. He zooms around on what looks like a tea-tray on casters, once you get past looking down at a chap 2 feet off the ground he's a great personality, fair English, and he knows his teak furniture. We will continue to use his place as long as we need furniture.

Young teak from spintwood is the cheapest but termites still can eat it. I'm looking for 3 doors of teak....starts at 6000 untill 16 for a nice one made of only mature wood, no spintwood at all. It's in my favorit teakshop in soi maisac in bang sue. 

I've seen the teak along the roads in huge shops but most of them have crap quality craftmanship...it's made with small nails who still stick out.

There's also teak from chiang mai for sale, my neighbour sells it, but it's for small people, the backrest is in a weird angle which hurts my back and the nails came out...it's cheap though.

The table costs almost 900 euro with 6 chairs...that's about the same price as in Europe, made in indonesia but those have nice chairs with good backrests. 900 euro will be the cheapest price though, also cheapest quality...not sanded well but massive thick wood and solid thick legs.

I have my own carpenter for teak furniture, he made everything in the house and i can order it how i like. But teak for outdoors turned black from a fungus, even it was treated and maintained well with real teak oil every year...

Old teak is even more expensive, i saw a nice teakwood half winebarrel last week in a recycling shop...it was half rotten but still filled with water...6000 was the price haha...old teak costs more than new.

I know a nice shop for teak which is recycled or refurbished..it belongs to a temple in BKK and has a lot for sale...not too expensive but sure not cheap. The problem is that furniture is old style which i don't like/fit. 

My dinnertable has a huge crack in the middle (teak) but it's still fine. 

Now i need 3 new teak doors...the kitchendoor i placed myself 5 years ago..was mai daeng they said, very heavy...but the panel inbetween the frame is some cheap wood which is very soft now...i need a real good door with locks from europe who are easy to open and it needs double protected glass which can't be smashed...hope i can find that.

Rubberwood is also for sale everywhere but termites eat it...i don't know if they would eat a dinnertable but it's also not cheap so than better buy teak. Teak gets more expensive every year, lucky i bought a lot of it already. Many neighbours have termites in house,

4 minutes ago, Allstars said:

Oh iroko, yes it's very nice and very hard...my father has a huge floor made of it and even the dog couldn't scratch the floor when running like an idiot. It's expensive though.

There's also faux wood for sale in shops but very very expensive...And chierra? has issues with painting, it comes off.

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Iroko is indeed a nice teak-like wood, can you get it here? Price compared to local teak?

I don't know if it is available here, but since it is quoted at a third of the price of teak, I wouldn't be surprised if in Thailand it is sold as teak.

Would you be able to distinguish it from real teak if it was masked as teak?

18 minutes ago, Allstars said:

If you want an outdoor wooden floor i would go for the woodpattern tiles, Siamtak has that for around 500 a sq meter...cheap and looks great...they also have long tiles made from it, 120 cm...

http://www.siamtak.com/

9 minutes ago, Allstars said:

I don't know if it is available here, but since it is quoted at a third of the price of teak, I wouldn't be surprised if in Thailand it is sold as teak.

Would you be able to distinguish it from real teak if it was masked as teak?

I doubt I (or many others) could tell iroko from teak particularly when finished and described as teak, but local young teak has the advantage of not having to be shipped half way round the world.

I'll stick with my local chap, yes the wood is not old-growth, but the carpentry isn't bad (apparently the carcasses are made in Si Saket or somewhere up that way and finished in-house), nothing has fallen apart as yet even with my fat arse sat on it :)

10 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

Last year a couple of wheels fell off the first office chair I had bought in Thailand and I was unable to find any replacements which fitted, so I took the plunge and purchased a replacement.   It seemed OK for the first three months but now I cannot sit on it because the two large bolts fixing the seat to the underframe protrude through the fabric covering the seat, so much so that they can be felt even when a cushion is placed on the chair.  A ridiculous design and a total waste of money.  Obviously, my next purchase will be inspected thoroughly before I leave the shop.  As many of us know from past experience it is absolutely pointless in complaining to the seller, even when a "guarantee" is given with the product.